Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Simple,basic experiments...
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 04:00

Quote: Originally posted by Bhaskar  
Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
Just curious, but why does it matter? It is what you contribute in discussions and what you glean from the community that is important. A high post count means nothing by its self, IMO.

Well, noone said that it matters, but your opinion is quite right! Look at me, I hated being harmless, so posted everywhere where ever I could, now it doesn't matter to me, it was just the idea of being the lowest rank that bothered me.

I expected better from you Bhaskar. Some of the chemists with the best technical ability on this forum are still harmless . . . it just means that they have posted less frequently and has nothing to do with ability. Look at NurdRage - I have a higher rating than him, yet he is far, far, beyond me in chemistry. I am a lowly student of 14 with no official qualifications in chemistry yet. I believe he has a PhD, yet he is still 'Hazard to Others' whilst I am a 'National Hazard'.

Trying to post everywhere, and often resulting in posting complete rubbish, will not get you anywhere. You will just be considered a post whore or even a troll. Do yourself a favour and not worry about your post count or rating - it will increase, with time. For now, try to make every post count - add as much detail as you can and even include pictures if possible. Look at peach's work for an example . . .I assume he takes days to compile his photos and posts. Posting less frequently but very well will earn you more credit here than posting a million times with the occasional tirade of bull****.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Bhaskar
Hazard to Self

Mood: Like nitro runaway!

[*] posted on 25-4-2012 at 01:20

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
Quote: Originally posted by Bhaskar  
Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
Just curious, but why does it matter? It is what you contribute in discussions and what you glean from the community that is important. A high post count means nothing by its self, IMO.

Well, noone said that it matters, but your opinion is quite right! Look at me, I hated being harmless, so posted everywhere where ever I could, now it doesn't matter to me, it was just the idea of being the lowest rank that bothered me.

I expected better from you Bhaskar. Some of the chemists with the best technical ability on this forum are still harmless . . . it just means that they have posted less frequently and has nothing to do with ability. Look at NurdRage - I have a higher rating than him, yet he is far, far, beyond me in chemistry. I am a lowly student of 14 with no official qualifications in chemistry yet. I believe he has a PhD, yet he is still 'Hazard to Others' whilst I am a 'National Hazard'.

Trying to post everywhere, and often resulting in posting complete rubbish, will not get you anywhere. You will just be considered a post whore or even a troll. Do yourself a favour and not worry about your post count or rating - it will increase, with time. For now, try to make every post count - add as much detail as you can and even include pictures if possible. Look at peach's work for an example . . .I assume he takes days to compile his photos and posts. Posting less frequently but very well will earn you more credit here than posting a million times with the occasional tirade of bull****.

My friend,
You misunderstood me however your view is quite arguable. When I said that I was going around posting wherever I could, I actually meant that I would post knowldege wherever I could if I know the answer to the question and give my opinion.
Now that I am not harmless, I will focus a bit more on reading then just posting.
If you look at my older posts, I don't go around posting bull*** so please....do yourself a favour and be a bit more investigative before posting.
Regards,
Bhaskar
Oldirtychemist
Harmless

Mood: Synthesize, synthesize, synthesize!

[*] posted on 27-4-2012 at 22:55

If you're teaching them basic applied chemistry techniques then it would be a good idea to keep the reagents and solvents as harmless as possible. Recrystallization can be practiced using simple white sugar with H20 as the solvent. Extraction can be practiced using orange peels and dry ice.1 Green chemistry is a rapidly advancing concept. One of its goals is to replace the dangerous solvents commonly used and replace them with less harmful ones (like H2O). A Diels-Alder reaction could also be done since it is carried out in water. There are many safe yet interesting reactions that the two could most likely do themselves.

sargent1015
Hazard to Others

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 2-5-2012 at 12:43

Anyways, getting back on track...

So, I know people have brought up the nitric acid fountain, which is no doubt dangerous, but has anyone perfromed the ammonia fountain?

I remember doing this senior year of high school and it was a lot of fun! Plus, quite a bit safer than nitric acid IMO

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm
99chemicals
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-5-2012 at 12:56

Ammonium dichromate volcano.

I'm suprised that no one said that yet. That reaction is magical.

Its simple, just ignite a small pile of dichromate in and stand back!
Logi010
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-5-2012 at 22:47

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
I have written a webpage with experiments for children, which they can do themselves (of course with supervision):

http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/child/index....

this really helped alot!
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 4-5-2012 at 22:04

You could attempt to verify something from another thread. We found a phase diagram that seemed to indicate that a mix of iron(III) chloride and calcium chloride, in a 3 to 1 ratio by weight, is a liquid at room temperature.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=10529&...

You could try making the mix, then applying a enough heat to fuse them together. If upon cooling it is still a liquid, then it would verify that this is indeed a eutectic ionic liquid. But you would need to keep the mixture protected from moisture in the air, because CaCl2 is hygroscopic.

[Edited on 5-5-2012 by AndersHoveland]
annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 10:40

sargent1015, I've done the ammonia fountain. It's described in the Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments. I wonder if that book would be suitable for the library. I have a pdf of it, but it's only black and white---color is used effectively in the original, and it would be best to have a color copy.

99chemicals, the ammonium dichromate volcano has become politically incorrect, since the hazards of ammonium dichromate have been recognized. But Nurdrage has a video.

woelen, thank you for the link to your experiments for children. Your web sites are a great service to science education, and are very well done.

Any other SF Bay chemists?
RobertRobinson75
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 19:24

As a beginning chemist myself, there are some great ideas in here! I decided just yesterday to try the KMnO4 and glycerol ignition experiment, took a little bit to get going though as I hadn't ground up the KMnO4 beforehand. I might try the color change experiment suggested in here too, KMnO4 + NaOH + sugar in water.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top