Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Hydroxylamine NH2OH Uses (and Production)
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 21-2-2006 at 10:07

That's surprising really, because of the high cost of nitromethane. Isn't the bisulfite/nitrite method for hydroxylamine production way more economical?

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-2-2006 at 12:52

Well, in Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry it says that "This process has been used only to a limited
extent because of its cost and the limited availability
of raw materials." about the NM/acid process.
The Raschig process is more important as is the catalytic hydrogenation of NO or nitrates.
But since I can buy NM and not nitrite, the acid/NM method is the one I'm giong with.
Axt
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2006 at 13:24

Thanks for translation, alternatives, experiances!

Quote:
Originally posted by chemoleo
Also, it mentions that the hydroxylamine HCl can be reacted with cyanamide to form oxyguanidin hydrochloride, CN3H5O:HCl. What precisely is this? Anyone knows?

H2N-C(=NH)-O-NH2 . HCl?

There is mention of (NH2O)2C=NH here,
http://ww1.ft100.net/~64671/xfiles.ft100.net/images/oxylamin...
forget what the actual journal ref this come from, I have so much of this crap on my computer, in german ... again :(

Quote:
Originally posted by Microtek
diamino furazan can be made from condensation of glyoxal and hydroxylamine to diaminoglyoxime

Were you able to do that in good yield in one step? See pg 377 of preceedings <a href="http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=5393">here</a>, supposedly you can go all the way to diaminofurazan in one step from glyoxal/NH2OH.HCl/NaOH + "other", but specifics arn't mentioned.

I've isolated glyoxime, then diaminoglyoxime from that, but only in ~20% from glyoxal -> DAG.

[Edited on 25-2-2006 by Axt]
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2006 at 05:55

No, I haven't actually tried that yet as I've only just gotten the hydroxylamine production in place. I plan to follow the modification proposed in "Furazan-based Energetic Ingredients" which I think I got from you at the Crucible.
The modification involves heating an excess of free hydroxylamine to 90 C and then dripping in glyoxal soln while maintaining the mix at 90 C. According to the article I mentioned, yield suffers if temp rises above 90 C which can be difficult to control if mixing the ingredients first and then heating. This should give diaminoglyoxime directly in 64 % yield ( at the 1000 g scale ).
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 27-2-2006 at 16:39
More uses of hydroxylamine

I had a look at Axt's article from above. It contains some interesting chemistry, some that even seems doable!

For instance, potassium hydroxylamine disulphate (KO-N(SO3K)2), which is made as described above from sulfite and nitrite, is a useful reagent for the reaction with alkylating agents, for instance dimethylsulphate or, more realistically, halogeno-alkanes.

Alpha-methyl hydroxylamine, CH3-O-NH2
Basic potassium hydroxylamine disulphonate (dissolved in 6% KOH) is mixed with the same molar quantity of dimethylsulphate or methyliodide. The latter disappears within one day, while DMS reacts much faster while heating up. This can be boiled down, and alpha methyl hydroxylamine dipotassium disulphonate CH3-O-N(SO3K)2 crystallised in good yields, which can be recrystallised in slightly ammonia-containing H2O.
To split the N-SO3 bonds, the above salt is boiled in H2SO4, under reflux. I'm not sure if reflux is necessary, but probably topping up with H2O now and then would be good. The end of the reaction is achieved after several hours. (The end is recognised by taking a small aliquot of the solution, adding BaCl2/OH2 to remove extra H2SO4, and nitrite is added, which will react with the hydroxylamine. If H2SO4 is released, then addition of further BaCl2/OH2 will result in further precipitation, which indicates unreacted sulphonic acid. Thus more boiling is required).
Once the reaction is finished, the CH3ONH2:H2SO4 salts are extracted with ethanol, seemingly recrystallisation in ethanol can separate the less soluble neutral salt ((CH3ONH2)2:H2SO4) from the more soluble acidic salt (CH3ONH2:H2SO4).

They summarise this to make this reaction as fast as possible:
1) methylate the potassium hydroxylamine disulphonate in basic solution, as described above.
2) Boil this with H2SO4 or HCl to dryness, while the former is prob better (no HCl fumes), and test for completion of the reaction.
3) Add NaOH to a stoichiometric excess (cooling), and boil and distill. Free methyl hydroxylamine base comes over with the water, and is directely either collected in acid, or simply in a cooled container. Yields, wrt the starting compound, is 80%

Interestingly, the methyl hydroxylamine nitrate, explodes with great force when heated to 300 deg C. The nitrate is well-soluble in absolute ethanol, which may provide a purification technique. Maybe, Axt, that's something you want to try!!!! :)

Alpha, alpha ethylene dihydroxylamine, H2N-O-CH2-CH2-O-NH2)

Again, energetic compounds of this hydroxylamine can be easily seen :)
Here, 1,2 dibromo ethane is required, Br-CH2-CH2-Br. The sulphonate salt from above is reacted with it, in a 2:1 proportion, as described with the methyliodide above. This forms the tetrasulphonate, similar to the reaction above, which precipitates/crystallises from solution due to its low solubility:

(KSO3)2N-O-CH2-CH2-O-N(SO3K)2

This is digested with H2SO4, under boiling and testing for the end of the reaction as described above. The free based distills at 203 deg C.

Next to making the nitrate salts, I wonder how good a substrate these hydroxylamines are for peroxidation...? Similar to the 'amine peroxide' thread.

Other than alkylhalides, the initial hydroxylamine sulphonate also reacts with cyanogene bromide or iodide. Sadly this is not an easy substnace, nor safe. This then forms the imine sulphonate, (KSO3-N-O)2C=NH. However, this does not form the (NH2O)2C=NH, which Axt mentioned, even though boiling this with acid should theoretically get this.

Altogether, I think this may open up potential for a whole series of compounds, given the right starting compounds (alkylhalides).

Who's going to make some methyl-hydroxylamine nitrate? :P

[Edited on 28-2-2006 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-3-2006 at 08:30

Quote:
Originally posted by Axt
I'm attaching an article which supposedly gives the synthesis of NH2OH.HCl by refluxing HCl with nitromethane.
<a href="http://xfiles.ft100.net/images/nm-hcl-hydroxylamine.pdf">Journal f. prak. Chemie, Vol 21, 1880, page 129</a>

Can a german speaker please look at that and give the specifics of the reaction (quantities, reflux time, extraction etc.). If its in there ... somewhere.

More random NH2OH articles I have:
http://scibooks.ft100.net/images/hydroxylamine.zip

Those links are broken.
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 1-3-2006 at 09:48

Try to secure them here........solo

http://rapidshare.de/files/14438117/nm-hcl-hydroxylamine.pdf...

http://rapidshare.de/files/14438496/hydroxylamine.zip.html

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
gsd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-3-2006 at 10:22

No. The links are alright.

I could download both files.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2006 at 17:08

Thanks for the renewed links, Solo.
Axt
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2006 at 22:45

For some reason the links seem to work for some but not others.

I remember where that "oxylamine" article come from, it was referenced to in PATR2700 under the entry ethylenedioxyamine. Making it Ber 53, 1489 (1920).

PATR2700 gives no actual figues but a few properties, the dinitrate detonates when heated over its melting point, and the diperchlorate is responsible for killing the two chemists working with it :) they refer to it as a "sensitive material".

Apart from the salts and possible peroxides, complexes are likely and chloramines may be possible as well. It would be interesting to try the same peroxide/complex/salts/chloramine with diaminofurazan as is possible with the alkyl amines.

The O-methylhydroxylamine or methyloxyamine is patented as rocket fuel as replacement for hydrazine US3117415, though the only sythesis reported is that translated by Chemoleo.
gilaneh
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 01:03

i have a question. do you know anything about role of pyruvic acid in biosynthesis of l-PAC?
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-12-2006 at 03:51

Yes, I know it's not clearly on-topic.
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 13:09

Wikipedia says nitrATE and bisulfite will form hydroxylamine. Im pretty sure NO3- will reduce to NO2- and then will form hydroxylamido-N,N-disulfate anion. Heat for 1 hr at 100oC in acid to get hydroxylamine salt.

Sounds easy and I might try it. Any suggestions on what I should expect? For example, how will I know when the potassium hydroxylamido-N,N-disulfate has formed?
guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-3-2007 at 19:33

Does bisulfite reduce potassium nitrate to nitrite?

I mixed some nitrate with Iron Out(sodium dithionite and sodium bisulfite) and some HCl in ice water. And nothing seemed to happen except SO2 gas coming off. I thought the nitrate would oxidize the the SO2 quickly.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 3-3-2007 at 00:54

Don't trust Wikipedia on such things. Bisulphites are in my opinion unable to reduce the nitrate anion. In acidic enough conditions HNO3 should oxidize H2SO3 (or SO2). However this would produce NO2 and ultimately NO, but not hydroxylamine.
I think some Wiki author made a very common mistake of translating the old term "hydrosulfite" to bisulphite when it actually means dithionite. I assume this since sodium dithionite might perhaps be an appropriate reagent for the nitrate->hydroxylamine reduction in basic enough media, but I'm not familiar with inorganic chemistry so rather check Gmelin for the reference by yourself.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
guy
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2007 at 13:21

I actually wrote down the equation for the reaction of nitrate with bisulfite and it turnes out that H+ does not play any role! So it would only react extremely slow in aqueous but it would work when the two are heated together (as I just read in the ionic nitrites thread).
overunity33
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-1-2010 at 00:04
Hydroxylamine HCL synthesis from nitromethane+acetic acid+HCL

I found this description somewhere :

Quote:

400 mls nitromethane, 600 mls Acetic acid and 600 mls HCL are heated to just below reflux and held there for 2 hours then refluxed for 12 hours. The solution is reduced to half gone the cooled in fridge overnight and filtered.

I don't understand the mechanism behind the reaction, can anyone explain it? Yields are reported to be 100%+ somehow. What can the resulting product be washed/recrystallized with to increase purity? I assume this reaction utilizes glacial acetic acid and muratic acid, anyone have insight?
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 26-1-2010 at 08:10

"I found this description somewhere" does not say where you found it! :mad:

The only way to know more about the mechanism would be to check the original paper where the reaction was described. Sometimes the authors propose the mechanism and give supporting evidence or further reference. So why don't you check the literature? Two references where already given in our hydroxylamine thread, so half of the work is already done. All there is for you is a trip to the library.

The interpretation of the reaction by using the "likely mechanism" approach as though to students would give a tautomerization-elimination-hydrolysis route. The mechanism for the tautomerization of nitromethane is described in many schoolbooks, the mechanism of the elimination might or might not first involve the protonation of aci-nitromethane, while the hydrolysis of fulminic acid is rapid at such conditions and is well known since the year 1882 (J. Chem. Educ., 77, 851-857). I'm not going to waste time drawing such a mechanism proposal, but in short version and skipping a whole lot of intermediates and all the arrow pushing:

MeNO2_HONH2.gif - 3kB

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
overunity33
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-1-2010 at 18:00

I wrote about this in another thread because I couldn't find this one. I found a method somewhere else but I could not find literature or any other type of reference.

(double post removed)

Edit by Nicodem: I merged your thread with this one. Next time do not double post, particularly not if you have already been receiving answers to your original post! And it is "HCl" as for hydrochloric acid, and not "HCL" as you keep mistaking.

[Edited on 27/1/2010 by Nicodem]
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Threads Merged
27-1-2010 at 01:45
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2010 at 06:35

Hydroxylamine has been considered as a monopropellant a possibility is the
borane salt , 3 HONH2•BH3 => B2O3 + BN + N2 + 9 H2