Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Distillation kit, help!
blink182
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 15:10
Distillation kit, help!

Hey everybody, this is my first post here, anyways I just wanted to introduce myself. I am blink182, well that's my name at least. as of lately I got a job and have been working my arse off. Been wanting to get a new distillation kit, but I am confused on what the best type of glass/ supplier so maybe some of you guys could help me out.

Is kantu scientific any good? - Is anything noticeably better? and if so what?

Is UGT glass good? = (don't they make thick glass which expands a lot when heated/cooled - isn't this more crack prone)

what about ben0315, i noticed on ebay he doesn't have any reviews, but I have heard of his website http://glass-labware.com/

the seller ben sells his kits for very cheap, but his kits aren't 24/40, but instead are 24/29? whats borosilicate glass 3.3 mean?

I wish I could get some high quality glassware instead of cheap stuff, but if the cheap stuff is ok or quality, then it'll certainly do.

what are the differences between bens glass and the others? Are the nicer glass types (what are these)? more resistant to rapid cooling/heating

Also, why does ben sell a second still head in his kits, isn't this called a 3 way adapter, or still head? the kit inludes 2, but I have trouble seeing what its use is.

lastly can someone please tell me what is needed to make it so no rubber seal is used for the thermometer port? Isn't there a way to have a glass on glass connection here? I believe I have seen one before.

and what about a dean stark, is 50$ the right price for one? I've seen that you can use a liebig with a stopper and 2 pieces of glass tubing, but I'm not sure if that way be anywhere near as efficient. (for steam distillation/azeotrope experiments)

TheChemINC
Hazard to Self

Mood: fuming

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 16:49

try expediglass(dot)com

they have really good quality glassware. i have bought alot of my supplies from them.
Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 17:01

Expediglass is not "really good quality" my friend, it may be cheap but it is made in china or Singapore or something. It breaks often especially at the joints, as for the rest of the first post try working your arse off with the search function!
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 17:13

There are dozens of threads like this already. If you searched and looked back through those threads you might get more information than you will in response to this post.

United Glass sells quality products as far as I can tell and I have bought a lot from them.

You can get thermometers and thermometer adapters with standard taper joints that avoids all use of O-rings. I have a few and use them all the time, but they are a bit pricey.
blink182
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 17:25

well what is good quality but cheap glass, is it borosilicate glass that we want to keep an eye out for?

Not bomex, but pyrex? I'm confused here as to which flavor of glass is the best, and I am unfamiliar with the quality of glasses' other than kantu so I can't really say if something is better or worse then this. and I don't really know how they rate the quality of glassware.

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 17:31

It all should be borosilicate. Some is better made than others. Cheaply made lab glass may have slight variances in its thickness, which will weaken it to shock and thermal stresses. You get what you pay for. Some of the older glass made in the USA is excellent. Try emailing Dr. Bob. I have gotten a variety of good brands from him.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
blink182
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 17:55

so is pyrex a type of class or a company, and is bomex a type of class or a company? are they both made of the same types of glass but by different companies?

ben has a deal

Laboratory Glass

Capacity or Length

Quantity

My Single Price

2-neck round bottom flask, heavy wall

250mL

1 pc

$15.19

2-neck round bottom flask, heavy wall

1000mL

1 pc

$16.79

single neck round bottom flask, heavy wall

1000mL

1 pc

$11.99

3-neck round bottom flask, heavy wall

500mL

1 pc

$20.79

Separatory funnel, PTFE stopcock

250mL

1 pc

$30.39

Vigreux distillating column

200mm

1 pc

$19.19

Liebig condenser with 10mm dia hose connection

300mm

1 pc

$21.59

Graham condenser with 10mm dia hose connection

300mm

1 pc

$29.59

Allihn condenser with 10mm dia hose connection

300mm

1 pc

$21.59

3-way Claisen adapter

---

1 pc

$12.79

3-way adapter, side arm is 75° with bottom tube

---

1 pc

$10.39

Stopper

---

5 pcs

$15.99

Vacuum take-off adapter, 105° bend

---

1 pc

$11.99

3-way thermometer/bleeding tube adapter with cap, 75° bend

---

1 pc

$12.79

Plastic clip for 24/29 joint size

---

10 pcs

$11.99

Total

$263.06
The Kitis only $175.2now! You save $87.86 !

seems like a good deal, would like to upgrade to a 400mm liebig possibly. cause I want to distill ether and I think the extra length might be necessary, what do you guys think?

would it be better to buy a few flasks from ugt and try to piece together the rest of the setup from other suppliers. I hear quality is more important whenever it comes to flasks, and not so much when it comes to 3 way adapter or receiving adapters, well what about condensers, is it important to get a good quality condenser.

so is both the good quality glass and the bad quality made from the same stuff essentially, or no? If someone could explain this I would greatly appreciate it. Looking to buy some laboratory glassware, 3 neck, 400mm liebig, separatory funnel the receiving arm and 3 way, - I'd like to get the standard taper joints so I wont need plastic in the setup. do the standard taper joints require special thermometers as well
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 18:10

To the best of my knowledge, Pyrex and other brands of laboratory glassware are all of the borosilicate type of glass.

READ!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrex
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borosilicate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomex

[Edited on 18-3-2012 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
tom_servo
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-3-2012 at 07:27

Quote: Originally posted by blink182  

what about ben0315, i noticed on ebay he doesn't have any reviews, but I have heard of his website http://glass-labware.com/

I ordered a kit from him last week and according to the tracking number its in customs right now, I'll post and let you know if it's worth a shit
tom_servo
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-3-2012 at 10:53

ugh still setting in customs

Quote: Originally posted by tom_servo  
Quote: Originally posted by blink182  

I ordered a kit from him last week and according to the tracking number its in customs right now, I'll post and let you know if it's worth a shit
tom_servo
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 27-3-2012 at 11:48

Finally arrived to find half of it broken, contacted the seller and he is replacing the broken pieces.
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-3-2012 at 13:06

Quote: Originally posted by tom_servo  
Finally arrived to find half of it broken, contacted the seller and he is replacing the broken pieces.
SHeeesh.. Hmm well on the parts that are not broken what is the quality like? any bubbles on the seams? the joint taper good? are the flasks heavy wall & even?

Go To Top