Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Using methylene blue as an indicator for the haloform reaction
mycotheologist
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-3-2012 at 06:19
Using methylene blue as an indicator for the haloform reaction

So if I can recall correctly, methylene blue changes colour depending on the oxidation state of the compounds in the solution. The compound appears blue in an oxidising environment and colourless in a reducing environment. So if you were to add a few drops of methylene blue to a beaker of household bleach, it will turn blue in due to the presence of the highly oxidising NaClO. Adding acetone to the solution, a highly exothermic reaction between the acetone and hypochlorite ion ensues:
CH3COCH3 + 3NaOCl -----> CHCl3 + 2NaOH + Na(CH3COO)
NaOH is a reasonable reducing agent, isn't it? If so, the problem here will be that the colour change won't indicate a complete reaction, rather it will indicate a half reaction because it will go colourless when the amount of NaOH becomes greater than the amount of NaClO. Any ideas on how I could prevent the NaOH from interfering? Its the chloroform I'm after so I will distil the product and thus, am not worried about forming non volatile byproducts.
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-3-2012 at 09:15

Quote:
NaOH is a reasonable reducing agent, isn't it?

No. Also from what I recall the reaction doesn't run 100% to completion.... and why do you feel like you need an endpoint indicator anyway? You can if you like use a thermometer and see when the temperature starts dropping again - that's a pretty good sign you're done.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
mycotheologist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-3-2012 at 10:22

What I had in mind was using an end point indicator to avoid the need to calculate the exact amount of reagents beforehand. For example, when making sodium acetate from vinegar, instead of calculating the moles of CH3COOH in the volume of vinegar, then calculating and weighing an equal number of moles of NaOH, its a lot quicker and easier to just add a few drops of phenolphthalein to the vinegar then gradually add solid NaOH, with stirring, until the solution turns pink.

[Edited on 18-3-2012 by mycotheologist]
mycotheologist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-3-2012 at 11:30

I'm really just looking for an excuse to use some of this methylene blue I've had lying around for months now.
zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 19-3-2012 at 12:06

Extract some DNA and stain it, a dark blue DNA clump looks really beautiful suspended in clear ethanol.

Go To Top