Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Correct clamp for the job?
cyanureeves
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-4-2012 at 18:01

thanks tanker my joints glide smoothly also when greased.last time i made nitric ,a leak ate one of my clips at the flask over the burners but sealed itself again.i have silicone bands i ordered on line,they came in shapes of different zoo animals.i might just have to strap a hippopotomus on the joints if i run out of clips.
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2012 at 11:31

Reeves, let's not resort to animal cruelty when making nitric acid :D

It's my understanding that you shouldn't clip the boiling flask unless your crude stuff is low boiling. Also, you may have applied too much grease to the joint(s).

Quick question: What's the best way to remove silicone grease from glassware joints after use?? Soap and gentle scrubbing doesn't seem to work as well as I had hoped.

Tank

Chemical CURIOSITY KILLED THE CATalyst.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 17-4-2012 at 11:58

I have always found that dabbing acetone on a paper towel and simply wiping the joint works well, followed of course by cleaning the item in hot soapy tap water, then with fresh tap water, and then a final rinse in distilled water.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 09:56

i personally use a standard clamp with rubber hose over the fingers, and i make my own stands as they cost a lot.
i buy a 1 metre long steel rod of the right diameter, and a 3/4 inch steel plate. i drill a hole in the plate and put threads in it, put threads on the rod and screw them together, it costs almost nothing.

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 13:43

I like that idea, Pyro. I suppose if you had the required materials and equipment, you could weld the metals together for extra stability. I also like to install, on the base of my stands, some of those little rubber feet you can get from the pound/dollar store or supermarket. They help stop the stands from sliding on my laminate workbench, and help avoid scratching it unnecessarily too.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2012 at 18:13

well,
I live on a boat where there is loads of equipment.
truly, the threads fit together perfecty, and because storage space is a problem i can just unscrew and store them.
i glued a sheet of rubber to the bottom :p
to buy new costs 45$ and is just plain steel, mine are stainess.
i know that problem hex, when i worked on painted steel they used to slide around like crazy, i used to hot glue them down :)

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
Hockeydemon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-2-2013 at 06:14

I really need to get a few clamps, rings and stand, but once again on my poor budget I am hesitant to buy anything I can make..

I think I would be pretty happy with a couple of the stands M1Tanker put together. What did all of that total to if you happen to remember?

I really wanted to build clamps also but I haven't figured out how to properly attach the rotating arm..

Rather than use the beam clamps as M1tanker did I found Gampak .5" rigid clamps which have a screw whole on all sides so you could attach two of them at the back to effectively make a bosshead without needing a welder.

This would then grab the base rod and a 6" steel rod with a 1/4" diameter going to the clamp.

I would then pre-drill a hole in the 6" rod's center so I can thread this two arm hanger into the rod for the stationary portion of the clamp.

Then I could wrap a 2 hole pipe strap around the 6" rod which would give me a pivot for the adjustable arm. Maybe drill a hole through the middle of the strap & rod to prevent the strap from ever moving.

Now then I need to find an acceptable movable arm.. Maybe just offset the same arm I found already for a 4 arm clamp?

I was thinking I'd screw this into the side of the 6" rod, and then drill a hole from the adjustable arm to this piece and run a fly nut to tighten everything down?

Hopefully I communicated this well enough.. I had started to draw up schematics, but I draw like a disabled child.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top