Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: silica 60 for flash column
amrhamed2
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-3-2012 at 12:41
silica 60 for flash column

In our lab, we had a lot of silic 60 G F254. Actually, we no longer use it for TLC making . I wonder how can I remove gypsum and the florescent indicator to use it for routine flash chromatography where it works well using silica 60 H.

[Edited on 29-3-2012 by amrhamed2]

amr h mahmoud
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 1-4-2012 at 06:47

I'm not sure what is typically used as a fluorescent indicator. If it is an organic compound, putting it into a muffle furnace at 400*C for a few hours should volatilize/destroy any organics adsorbed on the silica. I don't know how this will affect its properties for flash chromatography though.

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2012 at 15:43

Silica gel for TLC is alot finer than that for flash. I'd save it as it is and make a bunch of TLC plates from it.
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 21:17

Sell it to me.

Or some other hobbyist. We are about the only people who still need to make our own plates.

Go To Top