Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Solar-powererd-distillation
BASF
Hazard to Others

Mood: hydrophilic

wink.gif posted on 3-5-2004 at 08:12
Solar-powererd-distillation

I had the idea of taking a 25 L bucket(with an air-tight translucent plastic-foil as cover or something similar), placing a 10 L bucket on a landing in the middle of it, for example another perforated pot or somthing;

Then the liquid to be purified by evapourization(i don´t want to call this distillation, because it happens below the boiling-point of most liquids) is placed in the small bucket, preferably a black one(so it absorbs more energy).

The bigger bucket is cooled by means of evapourization-cooling: A bathing towel is bonded cylindrical on the bucket, which soaks water from a little reservoir, in which the whole arrangement is placed.

(you experience the cooling-effect of evapourization every day as you leave the shower; a similar design for an archaic refrigerator has also been proposed for 3rd world countries).

This "distill" has many advantages:

- no surveillance at all

-the seperating-effect of slow evapourization is much better than conventional distillation

As soon as i grap some time i will report on my results! :P
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 4-5-2004 at 07:51

This reminds me strongly onto the famous "how to make water in the desert" method......

Some critics:
To have the liquid to evapourate in the small bucket and this sitting in the bigger - cooled bucket is not very logical IMHO. Using the desert water method seems better to me:
Place the liquid in a big black bucket and place a small can (or tube through the bottom) in the middle. Place some clear foil over the big bucket. Put a weight in the middle over the can/tube on the foil. Put it in the sun.
Liquid will condense on the foil and run to the middle and drop into the can/tube. As long as the temperature under the foil doesnt exceed the boiling point of one of the substances to separate there is no cooling required at all.
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 4-5-2004 at 08:05
OT

It reminds me of this little device. Aren't we Swedes clever when it comes to making cheap booze?

I'ts admittedly a little off-topic, but....

Attachment: Amazingstill.pdf (661kB)
This file has been downloaded 1053 times

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 4-5-2004 at 11:30

Quote:

Aren't we Swedes clever when it comes to making cheap booze?

For me being on a very slow and pay per KB connection I wish you swedish would be as clever when it comes to compressing pictures.......
;)
Tacho
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-5-2004 at 03:08

Lol

Oh boy! That's ridiculous!
I bet it works fine though.

God bless Sweden!
BASF
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-5-2004 at 07:05

@ Organikum

First at all: like constructive critics.
I think the fact that if you use the design i proposed, you may have at least two advantages over the classical " caught in the desert"-design.
I know the "amazing distill" method as well as the design you proposed.

- you could eventually generate a bigger temperature-gradient because of the additional cooling, while the inner bucket could still have a nice temperature.-A flat design of the outer bucket would help letting more sun through the cover.

-the outer bucket has a 2-3 times bigger surface

So thats enough motivation for me to give an alternative design a try...

The basic motivation was to integrate the method of evaporization of water on a surface(soaked towel) for cheap additional cooling in a "caught in the desert"-design.

So let´s see...time for a try.:P

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by BASF]
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 5-5-2004 at 07:22

If you manage to apply an thin film of water onto the surface of the foil, this would cool the foil (in special if a soft breeze is going) and raise the temp. difference. The water could be applied by a sinilar "wick/siphon" design as you suggested before, just the water supply might be favorably place a little higher. In this case it will be advantageous not to use a "stone in the middle" but an "inclined plane" design so no water collects on the foil but it just drops down on one side.
The water seeps on the plane at the elevated side and runs down ideally as a thin film to the lower side. evapouration will cool massive.

Hey! Thats a good one, isnt it?
BASF
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 11:54

Yeah. Maybe i can integrate these ideas into the "design". Its a shame it was raining the last days.
I´m quite eager to test something...

With accurate documentation, naturally:P

Go To Top