Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ammonium nitrate from fertilizer
Berrilium
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-4-2012 at 14:41
ammonium nitrate from fertilizer

I have about 20 kgs of LAN (limestone coated AN) does anyone know how pure I can get it by filtering it with filter paper and evaporating the excess?
ManBearSwine
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-4-2012 at 19:58

Theoretically, up to 99.9%. However, the AN and limestone likely aren't incredibly pure, and it may contain binders and/or anti-caking agents. Realistically, you could get about 96-99% pure product by simply filtering out the calcium carbonate. Watch your temperature closely on evaporation, though, because it will convert directly from a solution to a melt, and beyond 180 celsius it will begin to decompose, giving you a contaminated product.
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 04:05

Try putting a kilo or 2 of the CAN fertilizer in a water solution
with plenty of distilled water in about a 3 gallon bucket.Covering the bucket with a cloth to prevent dust-dirt entering and after a few days its very likely the fine limestone
will have settled to the bottom of the bucket like sediment leaving the majority of the now clear NH4N03 solution on top.
You can then carefully siphon the clear AN solution into another container.And either wait for enough water to evaporate or use heat to speed the process.When the solution is saturated transfer the solution to a cold enviroment,fridge etc.The recrystalized, relatively pure AN will
fall out of the solution ready to be filtered for the AN.

Dont toss the water(liqour) out it still has a good amount if AN in it.Use the liquid and more distilled water thast been heated slightly and add to the limestone soup give oit a good stir.Let settle as you did above and repeat the process.
You dont want to lose any AN.its hard to come by for most.
Id bet if you do a search on the forums search engine youll find instructions but the majority are geared to the more common YARA style of CAN.CN/AN dbl salts which present a different more complex challenge.Good find.

out of curiosity where did you find the old style CAN fertilizer?:o
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 04:30

I am also curious why you are attempting to purify a 20kg bag of it considering that 6 of your other posts are about explosives.

I feel I should remind the members that Anders Breivik asked the same question.

Indeed, the very same thread he used is still here.
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 05:08

You're just joking, peach?

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 05:53

No
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 06:27

Quote:

Indeed, the very same thread he used is still here.

Is it? Where?

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 08:38

I'll PM you it, since I really don't think it's a suitable topic of conversation given the number of people murdered by the guy.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 2-4-2012 at 09:45

Can you PM it to me as well please peach . . would really like to see the chemistry knowldedge of the guy and how he used that.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 3-4-2012 at 13:10

I agree.
It's simply not coinciding with the "Please Read Before Posting" tips. (Please read link below).

Plus, I received a direct complaint; I take it seriously because if one gentleman takes the time to write on their concerns, perhaps 10 more may be considering the same issue. Utilize the PM's......they exist for quick questions or discussions that may be inappropriate for a public discourse.
However, there ARE many ways to turn this around.

First outline what you want to know: then Search for aspects of that question. If one of them have been discussed add toward it with what has not been addressed. I tried it just for fun (a Search) and this has some great science behind it & raises the level of discussion toward many and varied valuable techniques:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1716#p...

Now if none of this issues have been addressed determine the science of the issue. Some members brought up the issue of temperature solvency as well as direct filtration. These are good starting points (if they had not been addressed previously) as they can lead to mechanisms that are efficient in related separations.

Always be sensitive to the times that we live in. This may be a difficult reality but we have a mutual responsibility toward these and other related issues.

[Edited on 3-4-2012 by quicksilver]

Go To Top