Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Xylene & OTC solvents in general
thunderfvck
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-5-2004 at 00:18
Xylene & OTC solvents in general

Yes. The time has come: I need xylene.

Unfortunately, I live in Quebec and am unable to find Xylol (Toluol, or whatever they call it, is also non-existant, but that's another story). So I found this one product called Goof-off. It contains 90-95% xylene, and the remaining is 2-(2-Methoxyethoxy)ethanol (MEE). Here's the link, and some of you may find it quite useful. I myself have found a number of products on there...:

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/ingredients.htm

If you don't trust what i had told you, then search for xylene and scroll down until you see goof-off...Or you could probably just type in goof-off...Anyway!

MEE is quite soluble in water, according to chemfinder >= 10 g/100ml. So can I just wash the Goof-off with water to remove the MEE, leaving me with usuable xylene basically clear of contaminants? Or should I distill it (their bp.'s are about 20-30 C difference), but it may require a fractionating column which I don't have...

And that's about it!

If anyone knows a good source of toluene I'd appreciate it...Canadian mind you! I see a lot of paint removers which contain toluene, methylene chloride and methanol...Provided there would be a great deal of toluene in one of these products, would it be possible to distill off the toluene? I'd have to discard the lower boiling garbages, and keep the higher boiling toluene, and then purify that by whichever means I see fit at the time...Or you suggest! haha.

Okay! Well, yes, I'd just like to hear about your experiences with trying to remove solvents from mixed solvents, how did it go? etc. etc. I need sleep.

Goodnight.

darkflame89
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-5-2004 at 02:37

Hey that's good news, i was able to find this Goo-off bottle. Thx

Ignis ubique latet, naturam amplectitur omnem.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 07:33

On a good day with a following wind you might be able to oxidise the alcohol to an acid and then wash it out with aqueous NaOH.
How cold does it get in your part of the world?
The freezing point of the alcohol is a fair bit lower than that of the xylenes (if the stuff happens to be mainly para xylene then it is easy to freeze it and pour off the impurities).
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 08:59
Some advice from your western neighbor in Alberta.

Revy/Rona and Home depot both sell xylene and toluene in 1L and 4L sizes all the time. Once and a while there is also larger sizes too. They are in the paint thinner section sold under the names xylene and toluene.

[Edited on 8-5-2004 by rogue chemist]
thunderfvck
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 12:49

I am unable to find xylene OR toluene at reno depo. I haven't gone to home depot (because the nearest one is in montreal, and that's quite far), but I would imagine it being the same thing.

Summer has arrived so it doesn't get very cold. Although I do have a freezer I could use!...will check up on this later, I don't have much time right now...

I take it that there is somethign wrong with my water washing method. Can I ask why? Note: there is most definitely more than just the EEM inside this product.

Distillation. Should I bother? Is it risking sudden death by explosion? I imagine I'd obtain a fairly clean product that way, it would be a hassle though.

Thanks!

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2004 at 02:29

Washing with water should work; you may need to wash a few times. If you measure the volume before and after it will give you a good idea of how much you have removed. Of course, the advantage of distillation is that you can leave a lot of other rubbish behind. As you say, there is more than just one impurity; the others might not disolve in water.
thunderfvck
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2004 at 12:44

Yes, so I guess distillation is the only really safe way to go to ensure a pure product.

Are there any risks involved with this? I mean xylene must be flamable. Provided I have my joints nicely sealed, no leaks, under a vaccuum, should I be fine?

Prince_Lucifer
Harmless

Mood: Mischevious

[*] posted on 14-5-2004 at 21:19

Distillation of solvents can never be consdidered as a safe practice, nor is it free from risks. xylene is no exception!
Xylene is extremely flammable!
The fumes may seem sweet and friendly, but beware, they will turn on you given the chance.
Get the MSDS for xylene, make sure you lubricate your glass joints well and act in a safe manner. Eliminate ALL ignition sources and you should be safe. Good luck!
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 15-5-2004 at 04:01

Another point of caution when vacuum distilling flammable solvents: make sure your apparatus has completely cooled down before raising the pressure!

The solvent vapours can suddenly become into the explosive range when you vent the setup!

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 15-5-2004 at 12:59

Toluene and xylene are rather harmless. Ether is much more dangerous as acetone is.

Close your containers with inflammable stuff and have a piece of wettend cloth around. Dont panic.

Thats not so dangerous at all.
Containers always immediately closed and no panic are the key.

A nice 1m flame out of the sideneck of a big flask is nice to look at and stops immediately when stoppered. And its no problem at all to put the stopper on barehanded.
Quick of course.

Gasoline is the most dangerous mixture around. Gasoline and motoroil is hell on earth.

And now we leave the US high-security prison of insurance-risks and return to realworld and chemistry.

Irgendwas is ja immer
thunderfvck
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-5-2004 at 14:46

Thanks for that tip vulture. I wouldn't have thought about that whilst doing it.

And Organikum, I assume you speak from practise when you say how toluene and xylene aren't very dangerous (in comparisson to the deadly double you mentioned). I appreciate your advice, be comfortable! I would have been fairly scared during the whole procedure (and I only have 500 ml flasks! So I'll be stopping the process a lot, etc, maybe I should get some biggins...)...Anyways, is that basically the worst I can expect, a huge flame? Sounds pretty cool, and scary! Couldn't this flame ignite the rest of the xylene, making a chain reaction and destroying all of my precious glassware (along with my not-so-important face :D)?

And I use vaseline to lube my joints, satisfactory?

vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 16-5-2004 at 08:04

Vaseline and hot aromatic solvents are not very good pals, unless you desire a cloudy product.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 16-5-2004 at 08:19

Agreed.

I prefer a strip of thin teflon tape wrapped non-overlapping on the male joint.

Irgendwas is ja immer
Mendeleev
Hazard to Others

Mood: stoned

[*] posted on 23-5-2004 at 16:36

http://www.kleanstrip.com/solvents.htm All of these are available at any local hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot, and ACE hardware. Some like acetone and denatured ethanol are available at Wal-Mart. Do not trust what hardware store/walmart associates tell you. I have asked for toluol and acid/organic vapor respirators at Lowes, and when the dumbass clerk told me they don't have that I thought they didn't. Until I found it myself. The same happened at Wal-Mart when I asked for Campa-Chem toillet deoderant. Also, 99% methanol and 99% isopropanol are available at any auto-shop and walmart as heet and iso-heet gas line antifreeze, for $.74 per 355 mL containers.

[Edited on 24-5-2004 by Mendeleev]

[Edited on 24-5-2004 by Mendeleev]

Trogdor was a man. A dragon man. Or maybe just a dragon. . .
thunderfvck
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-5-2004 at 20:03

I've looked for the solvents myself. I've spent HOURS looking for them. They should all be in the paint thinning section, no? I have never seen naptha (well, I HAVE seen camping fuel, but it wasn't labeled as naptha), xylene, toluene or methyl ethyl ketone. Everywhere I go, they don't have it. I never ask the people, I like to hunt. I'm a hunter by nature.

Perhaps I should check out the home depot. That's downtown though, and I'm afraid driving in that area. Too much stress and weird rules I'm not accustomed to. The streets are too strange for my liking. But that's probably my only option. I've been to virtually every hardware store in my area, I don't know of any others...Hmm. Time to look in the yellow pages and start cracking down to business.

Betty Ford
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 24-5-2004 at 15:19
herculiner

this may be off topic however if there are uk bees here then procuring xylene is rather simple.
i found by looking in the midlands area that xylene can be bought from a small chemical supplier. they seemed to be abliged to ask you what its for which is why you would explain that you would use it for cleaning a stone floor before you apply a well known masonary coating to the floor.

Hope this is of use to someone

bett

Go To Top