Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: Accidents...
Fossil
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-6-2012 at 16:00

My dremel with a cutting wheel does just that, but without the hassle of having to score it.
CrEaTiVePyroScience
Hazard to Self

Mood: Explosive

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 09:24

Using a candle and heating , dipping in cold water trick works also.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 11:25

Here's ap test. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfSVWLjNICI&feature=youtu... It took my brother quite a lot of ap to achieve less then my etn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg81-8y1FQE Still I'd say ap can do quite impressive things with your fingers if you're holding it.
CrEaTiVePyroScience
Hazard to Self

Mood: Explosive

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 10:49

Nice results, quite surprised that the explosives damaged the metal that hard.
Was it steel?
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Goorlap
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 13:18

idd, impressive, that hole

Life is short. Enjoy it
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 18:31

The ap charge was with some EtNO3 at the bottom and a little Ba(NO3)2/Al at top to improve density and was stuffed quite tight. In the context of safety, I did some tests. The most sensitive was the 1 month old ap stored at room temp(0,5mm crystals). The next was ap made with a lot of H2SO4 with no temp control (trough above a certain temp the ap decomposes vaporasing the H2SO4 :D). The most stable was ap stored one month in freezer. I think it can be stored for years/IMO. The sensitivity to hammer blow was almost equal. So may be bigger crystals is the highest probability of uncontrolled detonation, specially from friction.
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-6-2012 at 08:59

woops,
i was testing a tiny piece of steel wool to see if it is sufficient to make a detonator, and then i took another piece and forgot that i had the battery in my hand, and set the entire roll on fire! making me run out the door and throw it in the water!

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
Peroksit
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 23:31

are there in this web site heard like that message for PETN
PETN during the nitration time no reason , everything is oke , temp is good , mixing is good (Don't hit of beaker wall) , no run away it explode ?
I heard as above for NG but I didn't hear for PETN or RDX
are there heard like that message here ?

[Edited on 7-6-2013 by gamez34]

[Edited on 7-6-2013 by gamez34]
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 7-6-2013 at 05:07

A friend of mine and I independently discovered that copper oxide thermite is a flash powder. He'd scaled his up somewhat, and wound up with third degree burns on his hand. I was merely startled and had a green blob in my vision for several minutes.
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-6-2013 at 07:03

http://blog.chembark.com/2010/08/24/texas-tech-dealing-with-...

kecskesajt
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-1-2015 at 12:09

My biggest accident was with Cu2C2.I went to my laboratory to scrape down the dried Cu2C2 from the filter paper.I started to scrape down and once BIG deflagration.I wanted to drink some energy drink but I changed my mind.And also I tested a FFF and flew into my black powder :mad:
NitratedKittens
Hazard to Others

Mood: Carbonated

[*] posted on 13-4-2015 at 03:19

Lucky my accidents have been minor so I did not sustain any permanent damage

1. Back in my early days of pyro I was chopping up party poppers for the charges, the metal scissors I used triggerd a charge and a fragment bounced off my goggles leaving me unharmed.

2. While boiling Down water based dyes the water boiled over the top of the conical flask and splashed onto the flame, splattering hot water all over me, lucky I was wearing a lab coat and goggles so I got away with minor burns

3. While experimenting with fulminating powder, I used too much and almost exploded myself by returning to the powder to turn of the heat and get a heatproof mat out.

Basket of kittens for you ........BOOM
KesterDraconis
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-6-2015 at 12:41

So I recently had an accident while nitrating cellulose. I slowly added the acids, while it was in an ice bath. My mistake came when I got in a rush and added all the cellulose at once, forgetting that I had (for a reason I can't even remember) taken the beaker out of its ice bath. NO2 fumes started to spew and things began to sputter, but I thankfully kept a level head and did exactly as I had planned should such a situation occur, and drowned it in a waiting bucket of water.

While a minor incident, its definitely proof to me that if you break the rules, bad things WILL happen (in my case my rules are to never do things when tired, in a rush, or without proper equipment and procedure).
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 21-6-2015 at 12:54

The Best thing is to have thought it through, and have a Plan, as you did.

Things can go horribly wrong, and Panic with no Plan in those situations tends to get people damaged.

Nice one for having a Way Out before even starting the experiment.

KesterDraconis
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-6-2015 at 13:11

Yeah, but for a moment I thought "Oh crap what do I do what do I do." before realizing "Oh right, this is the plan, now do it". It was just a second or two, but if that had been something involving a bit more energetic materials, that short hesitation could have been bad.

Reading over the first story in "Life after detonation" described the panic feeling well, the feeling being worse the worse the situation is, where you just don't think properly. I think it would be good practice in the future to often rehearse plans to deal with things so that when things do go wrong (which hopefully won't if the rules are followed), its cemented in your mind what to do.

[Edited on 21-6-2015 by KesterDraconis]
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-9-2015 at 04:02

Enjoy a picture of an ammonium nitrate and sodium sulphate solution that bumped itself right off the hotplate smashing my largest piece of pyrex, I was just about to take it off heat too

DSC_1749.jpg - 1.5MB
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2015 at 06:20

Quote: Originally posted by NedsHead  
Enjoy a picture of an ammonium nitrate and sodium sulphate solution that bumped itself right off the hotplate smashing my largest piece of pyrex, I was just about to take it off heat too

Whatever that thing is, it doesn't look like a proper pyrex beaker to me. Maybe spend some money on actual glassware?

(I could totally be wrong, the pic isn't very clear)
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-9-2015 at 06:49

Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  

Whatever that thing is, it doesn't look like a proper pyrex beaker to me. Maybe spend some money on actual glassware?

(I could totally be wrong, the pic isn't very clear)

it's not exactly a "proper beaker" but I can assure you it is pyrex, was quite well made and had stood the test of time. I have plenty of actual glassware, this was just my most useful large volume piece and I’m pretty sure my 600ml shott durans wouldn’t have done any better falling from the hotplate onto their side while full of solution
fluorescence
Hazard to Others

Mood: So cold outside

[*] posted on 25-9-2015 at 09:34

Washed my beaker ( 1L ) I usually use for the waste and put quite much effort into cleaning it
so it won't form any unwated products with the next waste...only to drop it a second later on the floor...

Si Da Sci Guy
Harmless

shocked.gif posted on 24-4-2017 at 09:34

When I first started my pyro adventures I put 2 grams KCLO3, half a gram of sulfur and half a gram of copper dust into a mortar and began ginding it with a pestle, within a few seconds of starting the mix burst into flames, spewing molten copper all over my face and hand. Luckily I had safety googles on else I would have lost my eyes.

SAFETY FIRST!
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 24-4-2017 at 11:43

Potassium chlorate mixed with things, proceeded with grinding, have taken few lives. Beware.
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 06:00

Poisoned by my favorite chemical, knocked out by Chloropicrin, Engulfed in a rocket candy fireball measuring 4ft wide by 6ft tall (garage), coming into contact with Mn2O7 (skin) Spilling (Just a few drips, thank ***k but my arm still looked like shit) Urushiol solution on my arm, somehow getting Perchloric acid on a scrape (Good god, the pain), Forehead Shrapnel (MEKP, never again.), Scars on legs from H2SO4, Large Ammonia Leak, Pewter steam explosion, and more.

I LOVE CHEMISTRY!!!!!

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 15:33

Quote: Originally posted by Tetra  
Poisoned by my favorite chemical, knocked out by Chloropicrin, Engulfed in a rocket candy fireball measuring 4ft wide by 6ft tall (garage), coming into contact with Mn2O7 (skin) Spilling (Just a few drips, thank ***k but my arm still looked like shit) Urushiol solution on my arm, somehow getting Perchloric acid on a scrape (Good god, the pain), Forehead Shrapnel (MEKP, never again.), Scars on legs from H2SO4, Large Ammonia Leak, Pewter steam explosion, and more.

I LOVE CHEMISTRY!!!!!

Yeah we all like when love hurts...we are SM-chemistry addicted LOL

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 25-4-2017 at 15:44

Quote: Originally posted by Si Da Sci Guy  
When I first started my pyro adventures I put 2 grams KCLO3, half a gram of sulfur and half a gram of copper dust into a mortar and began ginding it with a pestle, within a few seconds of starting the mix burst into flames, spewing molten copper all over my face and hand. Luckily I had safety googles on else I would have lost my eyes.

SAFETY FIRST!

I have worked for years with NaClO3 or KClO3...last time was last week...for a demo to friends.
--> I have made KClO3/ SiC mix...doesn't burn wel just like KClO3/C...ignition and burning rate very much increased by S...burns very bright (a bit like a slow flash composition)
--> I have made KClO3/C/S mix

But as a safety counterpart YOU MUST ADD an ACID SAVENGER
(Li2CO3, Na2CO3, MgCO3, CaCO3, BaCO3, SrCO3)...as a bonus Na will make yellow flame, Ca will make pink orange, Sr/Li will make red color and Ba a green color.

--> S mixed with base and C and ground in unglazed ceramic mortar and pestle; then appart KClO3 into the same mortar.
Even the mix of the 2 is not utterly sensitive to mortar grinding...but dont play with the devil in disguise and do diapering for the mixing to avoid as much as possible any friction that may cause local overheating and setting off the mix.

Avoid Copper when dealing with chlorates...I suspect Cu(ClO3)2 to be a source of unstability (I noticed Cl2 smell and strong casing corrosion rusting from CuCl(OH) and CuCO3.Cu(OH)2 with KClO3/S/C mixes).

Of course avoid CuS what would be the combo of both treats.

If ever you use Cu, CuS, Cu(OH)2, CuCO3 or CuCl(OH)...use fast and never store!
Resulting burning flame will be green-turquoise blue.

[Edited on 26-4-2017 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 26-4-2017 at 02:20

This was not me but I thought that others would find this guys stupidity somewhat entertaining.
This could have been a catastrophic situation but luckily for all concerned it was not. WTF was this dude thinking? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK-HA_5mAAI

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top