Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6
Author: Subject: Accidents...
Linus1208
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-1-2022 at 13:27

I didn't have that bad injuries.
One of them I can remember is 0.5g-1g of KMnO4 / Mg / S flashpowder blowing up on me while I was grinding it together in a mortar and pestle (I kind of expected it to do that, but I gave it try with appropiate safety measures.
It still blinded me for a few seconds and burned some small amount of my hair but besides that I was fine.
MineMan
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-1-2022 at 15:26

Quote: Originally posted by Linus1208  
I didn't have that bad injuries.
One of them I can remember is 0.5g-1g of KMnO4 / Mg / S flashpowder blowing up on me while I was grinding it together in a mortar and pestle (I kind of expected it to do that, but I gave it try with appropiate safety measures.
It still blinded me for a few seconds and burned some small amount of my hair but besides that I was fine.

What, what is this? Your just telling us you ground energetics but you wanted to do it’s ok? I am deeply confounded.
caterpillar
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-1-2022 at 17:11

My worst incident was already described here: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=22554&... . But there were more. i ignited a few grams of the mix: KClO3 + Al powder, using a simple match. Sudden and violent fire and I burnt my fingers. it was rather painful. I got a runaway reaction three times. Once I tried to make NG- temp leaped up and I was standing behind the door, waiting for the explosion. But the liquid only boiled. Twice AN demonstrated to me its insidious properties. I made an experiment- I replaced KNO3 with AN, making picric acid. I got foam, full of NOXes. Once I made the nitroso analog of RDX and mixed it with AN. The mix stood on the shelf and after two weeks (!) I got the runaway reaction. No fire but violent reaction and heavy gray clouds.

Women are more perilous sometimes, than any hi explosive.
Linus1208
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-1-2022 at 05:31

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  

What, what is this? Your just telling us you ground energetics but you wanted to do it’s ok? I am deeply confounded.

I wanted to try how violent it gets if I actually grind it together (as KMnO4 flashpowder already is with large particle says). I already thought it might blow up because of friction, but for 0.5g it was way more violent and bright than I thought it would be.
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Go To Top