Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7
Author: Subject: cheddite
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 07:22
bad way

I'm not a fan cheddite. Also, I wrote it here. Explosives based KClO3 are dangerous and weak. Further experiments will not be repeated. There are many other, more powerful and much safer mixtures. KClO3 is (like bombs) very bad way. It is better to do nothing. LL
forgotpassword
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 09:01

I tried burning a little bit of Vaselate and it did nothing, it burned a little when heated lots.
It turned molten and when I accidentally dripped a little bit of this molten cheddite onto the workarea a loud bang was heard.
packetforger
Harmless

Mood: Condensing

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 11:08

forgotpassword: It would really help if you said what composition your "vaselate" was...

90:10 KClO3:Vaseline does tend to burn fairly vigorously if ignited with a hot flame, once it catches it actually releases a fair amount of heat. The traditional crapbook wax/vaseline/chlorate mixture might actually be of some use as a thing for starting fires or something.

Also, didn't "Cheddite" originally refer to a nitrobenzene or nitrotoluene (nitroaromatic) and chlorate mixture? Wiki and memory say so...
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 11:28

Yes, it did.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 14-11-2014 at 05:58

Quote: Originally posted by jpsmith123  
Quote: Originally posted by forgotpassword  
What about Kerosene and KClO3?

In U.S. patent #3155554, "Liquid Blanketed Chlorate Blasting Agent", Melvin Cook et al. suggest that sodium chlorate based explosives are more powerful than those using potassium chlorate. An example in the patent is 88% NaClO3 & 12% fuel oil.

Just as the bad idea to mix chlorate with vitamin C (ascorbic acid)...It sets some HClO3 free what is a good way to get ClO2 gas and spontaneously set the mix into fire after undetermined laps of time --> not advisable to store.

Here they propose into this mix to use NH4NO3 and chlorate what is known to be a bad idea because of NH4ClO3 transient formation and resulting NCl3....so very unsafe patent!

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 11:34
Moai

For those of you who like to tear and split wood. Laboratory of Liptakov developed a plastic explosive on the basis of ammonium perchlorate. (type Moai:)) VoD about 3200 m/s. Minimum water absorption, long-term stability. Content NC 3 is not required. Everything else in the picture. Sensitivity to No.8. For the cumulative charge is not applicable. Low VoD. The ripping rock, wood, bricks, wall composition is sufficient ....:cool:.......LL

MOAI.jpg - 248kB
To increase the VoD can be replaced by a part of the composition ETN, PETN, MHN, maybe MEKP, or EGDN, NG. But it is not tested. This would have to give someone more experienced.

[Edited on 9-12-2014 by Laboratory of Liptakov]

[Edited on 9-12-2014 by Laboratory of Liptakov]
forgotpassword
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-12-2014 at 14:33

Nice work! and I like the face you molded onto the putty :)

I was thinking, what VOD would KClO3 and Sugar have, say a 50/50 ratio?

I would say a near full detonation could be achieved, as it is quite sensitive, it can be hit with a hammer and detonate when finely powdered.

[Edited on 10-12-2014 by forgotpassword]
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-12-2014 at 06:25
KClO3

Do you try to ratio saccharose 25,2 and KClO3 74,8%. Oxygene balanced is +0,052. OB saccharose = - 116, KClO3 = + 39,5. But I thinking, that this mixture will be not detonation. Without 5% aluminium powder. You can try....:cool:.......LL
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 11-12-2014 at 09:08

What was mesh size of the ammonium perchlorate used?

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-12-2014 at 14:39
plastic

Hi,
ammonium perchlorate for plastic - mesh - sieve about 0,1 - 0,2 mm. Tested primary initiation, only 0,5g pressed LA , full detonation. Diameter 22mm in wood. Interesting. The problem is only the price perchlorate.
Plastik can be used as an improvised incendiary way. The speed is about 1 cm / sec. Another possibility is to use as combustion fuel directly to the resistor to initiate the LA. Or rocket engine. High temperature burning......:cool:.....LL

AP plast.jpg - 67kB

[Edited on 12-12-2014 by Laboratory of Liptakov]
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-12-2014 at 07:38
AP plastic

Here is another example. It is interesting excluded elemental copper. It comes from TeACP. The composition was calculated to OB around zero. Parts by weight per 100g: AP74, TeACP17, PIB4, 5W40-4, MB1. OB = + 0.137. With aluminum 1 = -4.6. According to deposit copper on all parts of birch was complete detonation. I presume. Plasticity same as in the test above...:cool:...LL

AP plast.jpg - 436kB
forgotpassword
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-12-2014 at 10:01

What size blasting cap are you using to initiate those Liptakov?
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-12-2014 at 10:50
shock tube

If it is an unknown composition always equivalent No.8. Thus as 0.5 to 0.7 g ETN. However. It is only equivalent. For clear and comprehensible idea. I can not really write what I use. It is an ecological initiator. Patent pending. And many tests. Equivalent is No.8 to No.10. ...:cool:...LL
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-12-2014 at 04:35
Christmas

Christmas

MCH.jpg - 144kB
Hennig Brand
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-12-2014 at 08:02

Merry Christmas to you too. I like your card. :)

"A risk-free world is a very dull world, one from which we are apt to learn little of consequence." -Geerat Vermeij
Keith Fletcher
Harmless

Mood: Brittle

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 16:36
Cheddite 90/10 Ammonium Perchlorate/white petroleum

I was reading this pdf and i saw this simple mixture, Cheddite 90/10 AP/WP.
seems pretty solid. With a det. velocity of about 2500 m/s and create a cloud of chlorine. I haven't been able to experiment with it. I would guess that it would have characteristics similar to AN/Al mixtures. Low brisances and difficult detonation. I haven't been able to find any in depth research on this specific mixture. If anyone knows of any in depth literature on this specific subject or hands on experience with this mixture. I would appreciate it. If any of my speculations are wrong please correct me. Just want to see if this is worth testing.

Videos of similar mixtures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omaGJsifzTU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQnyFisrAbk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7w5YR3mKAM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V-1BL1Tr90

Attachment: Wallace, William - The Revised Black Book-Guide to Field Manufactured Explosives.pdf (3.4MB)
This file has been downloaded 758 times

m8Pq66.gif - 3.2MB PEPCON Disaster, click on to see gif

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.

- Winston Churchill
forgotpassword
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 17:11

There is a thread below on this topic, why did you feel the need to post a new one?
Bert
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
11-1-2015 at 18:23
Keith Fletcher
Harmless

Mood: Brittle

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 20:23

I have read the thread and i could not find comprehensive knowledge or in depth test results for this exact mixture. There are some potassium perchlorate and ammonium perchlorate related mixtures but there aren't the same, they usually contain aluminum or charcoal. I would like information on 90/10 ammonium perchlorate/white petroleum. Any other mixture would not share the exact same performance as 90/10.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 20:37

Hi Keith- Welcome to sciencemadness.org!

Please read this FAQ about posting, it will help you decide where and how to bring up topics that interest you, and explain why I merged your thread into the existing cheddite thread.

Posting on topics

Remember: It is nearly ALWAYS better to post in an existing thread than to start a new one!

Posting- And You...

You should look at the library. In particular, I think you are going to be interested in the Tenney L. Davis and Phokion Naoum books.

The sciencemadness.org library

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

dangerous amateur
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-12-2017 at 02:40

Cheddites are often said to be quite sensitive.

What does that mean in practice?

Im talking about Chlorate/fuel mixture only, without any added nitroesters.

Can they be used for bullet sensitive tannerite substitutes?
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-12-2017 at 06:25

Important question is, which fuel will used. If someone use some fuel with dirty additive, some (high reactive) organic type dirt or add something for increase power, Can happens, that cheddite will exploded or burned self. For example over 30C during storage. It is, I mean, the main dangerous. Basic mix KClO3 + pure mineral fuel (WAX, grease, WD40 = solvent oil) is not sensitive on friction. You can try on the anvil. On own ranch....:cool:

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 26-12-2017 at 18:43

Just looked at several sets of figures for drop hammer testing, friction testing on chlorate based cheddites. Some of them are more sensitive than unphlegmatized PETN.

If you really want to make exploding rifle targets, go to boomershoot.org and check out their history of target mixture development for their annual spring shoot. They have made several tons of this over 14 years time without a manufacturing accident (yet, you never know- they mix a lot of this with amateur help).

Project Ethylene Glycol

Ammonium nitrate, Potassium chlorate, cheap ethylene glycol antifreeze from Wal-Mart. It works for any center fire rifle I have tried from .22 Hornet up, no expensive Aluminum powder required. Don't try to store it, use on day of mixing. Will occasionally shoot for really brisk rimfire rounds too.

[Edited on 27-12-2017 by Bert]

dangerous amateur
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-12-2017 at 15:35

Thanks, but i need something that can be handled and stored for some hours.
Ammonium chlorate is not prefered.

I just wondered if some Miedziankit style stuff can be made sensitive enough.
Maybe with some manganese oxide or similar additive
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 28-12-2017 at 19:39

Quote: Originally posted by dangerous amateur  
Thanks, but i need something that can be handled and stored for some hours.
Ammonium chlorate is not prefered.

Main reason not to store overnight is legal.

Look at the link. The people in Idaho make these targets before their 3 day long event, store them in an approved HE magazine but do not keep them much longer than that. I don't think these are ammonium chlorate sensitized, they will fire immediately after mixing, but take quite a while to self destruct. I would guess chlorate and glycol are quite touchy enough, but without testing? Can't say.

Spilled target material from grazed targets left outdoors in sunlight/moist air have spontaneously combusted after about a week, starting grass fires.

Pages:  1  ..  5    7

Go To Top