Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lab Stools and Seats
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 23-4-2012 at 07:50
Lab Stools and Seats

What sort of things do you all use when working in the lab to sit down on? Silly question, I know, but with all this modern panic about posture I thought it was worth posting.

Personally, I have an old bar stool for working at my main bench, notably for when working and doing very little movements for a long time, e.g. microscope work. I don't like it very much, however, as there are no gaps in my under-bench cabinets where I can put my legs and thus I have to sit sideways, parallel to the bench with my torso twisted around 90*. Because it is so low, I have to use a mini office chair to use my fumehood with the sash at working height, which, again, is an inconvenience but one I can live with at the moment.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
DougTheMapper
Hazard to Others

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 23-4-2012 at 08:29

I have a old work stool but it still doesn't allow my legs under the bench. Personally I prefer to stand just in case I need to get away from something quickly. I have a couple layers of scrap carpet pad in front of the bench so standing for a few hours isn't uncomfortable at all.

Victor Grignard is a methylated spirit.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-4-2012 at 08:46

Me too, we recently re-carpeted my parents room and put the remainders in the garage for my use . . .as you say, standing isn't uncomfortable at all.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 23-4-2012 at 14:00

Sounds like your stool isn't the problem, but rather the cabinets under your working table.

I use a stool with adjustable height that has wheels so you can move it around easily. Great, except for working behind the fume hoods which have cabinets underneath them. Standing up is ok, but then I can't work without opening the sash above the calibrated height as I am too tall. However, mostly when you need to be in the fume hood a lot, it is because of building or breaking down a setup and then no reaction should be taking place. During reactions, the sash can be down and you will most often only need to make small adjustments occasionally, so I guess it is not a big problem.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 23-4-2012 at 14:38

Not supposed to have stools in our labs, trip hazard.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Eliteforum
National Hazard

Mood: Enjoying the journey

[*] posted on 24-4-2012 at 12:25

Lab stool, bought it when I bought my lab table. They both cost me a small fortune.

All that glitters isn't gold.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-4-2012 at 13:22

I know! My school recently upgraded some of their lab benches with the more modern-looking ones and apparantley it cost a huge sum to do so for each lab - re-fitting all of the cupboards, benches, drawers, lab taps, gas taps etc.

On that note, (sorry admins for going off topic) do any of you possess a proper laboratory tap, like those seen in professional/academic labs, i.e. these;

[Edited on 24-4-2012 by Hexavalent]

barley81
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-4-2012 at 16:00

Nope. I have a hose in the garden and a tap in the bathroom. I'm eventually going to make a distilled water siphon from a jug, some glass tubing, and a rubber stopper for easier dispensing. I have had little time in the lab...
Eliteforum
National Hazard

Mood: Enjoying the journey

[*] posted on 25-4-2012 at 03:28

Speaking of which, I have a lab table which I bought from Cole Parmer, with acid resistant top, 6x3 ft I think. Cost me close to £600 a few years ago, it's currently sitting under my stairs in the cubby hole with all the other junk.

If anyone wants it, your welcome to come and collect it.

All that glitters isn't gold.
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-4-2012 at 11:50

Way back in the depths of time when I was a student, sitting around in the lab was discouraged. As they pointed out, you can run away quicker if you are standing up.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-4-2012 at 13:02

I guess so. I should mention, though, that I only use my chair with my fumehood as it's between having the sash at max height at all times when working or sitting down on the chair, and I only use my chair with my bench when I'm doing fairly non-hazardous procedures, such as using microscopes, etc.

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 25-4-2012 at 14:09

My wife picked up a monster with three legs, casters and a bicycle seat at a garage sale. I politely used it for a month and rid the premises of the damned thing. I have a school stool but it's usually in the way. By the way does everyone have back flow preventers on his water spigots? Fume hoods? I tried using a powerful exhaust fan at my old place and ended up with solvents in my blood.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top