Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Metal alloy reagents for organic synthesis
Hilski
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-4-2012 at 11:52
Metal alloy reagents for organic synthesis

I have access to more or less unlimited quantities of the following alloys, and I was just wondering what reagents might be made from them:

FerroManganese
Silicon-Manganese
An Iron - Silicon alloy (Not sure of the proper name, FerroSilicon maybe?)
Pig iron (Iron with 2 to 4 percent carbon, along with quantities of silicon, manganese and trace impurities)

I'm pretty sure there are some other metals as well, like magnesium alloys (I think), other iron alloys, nickle alloys, and maybe even pure nickle. I'll have to check and see what else we have, and I'll add them to the list later.

I know this isn't a very specific question, but I'm curious as to what sorts of useful reactions these alloys might be good for. I know manganese compounds are good for oxidations, as I've used them for such. I remember reading in one of Max Bazlen's patents that manganous persulfate could be generated electrolytically in H2SO4 in a divided cell that used ferromanganese as the anode and lead lead as the cathode. Also, some of the metal salts that are used in dry distillations come to mind as the types of reagents that I'm wondering about.

All comments are welcome.

\"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety. \"

- Benjamin Franklin
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-4-2012 at 13:50

As far as I know metals are used mainly for hydrogenation in organic synthesis, or maybe they act as catalyst in small or large quantities.

Magnesium/alum/zinc alloys are usually good for hydrogenation, also iron is suitable, but the main problem with these methods is that, they generate a large amounts of oxides and other products what often require a lot of solvent to wash the compound what You work with out of it.

What would be the goal, what to make from/with them?

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
Hilski
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-4-2012 at 14:57

Quote:
What would be the goal, what to make from/with them?

I don't necessarily have a particular synthesis or goal in mind. I just like to try interesting reactions, especially electrolytic reactions and I have all these free, relatively uncommon (to most people) metals to play with. I'm more interested in organic reactions, but I've played with my share of inorganic compounds and reactions as well, so I'm interested in any thoughts you guys have on that as well.
I'm mostly just looking for ideas from some folks here that are more experienced with these types of materials.

\"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety. \"

- Benjamin Franklin

Go To Top