Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hexamine synthesis in aluminium vessels
Practicaler
Harmless

Mood: Exploding

[*] posted on 28-4-2012 at 00:07
Hexamine synthesis in aluminium vessels

Hello everybody . I am synthesizing hexamine .i have proper glass equipment and i make it easily in them . Yesterday my friend asked me is it safe to make it in aluminium vessel . I am not sure about this so i am asking you is it safe to make hexamine using formaline and ammonium hydroxide in aluminium vessel . If i boil ammonium hydroxide and formaline in aluminium vessel will they react with aluminium or hexamine will be formed
weiming1998
National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 28-4-2012 at 00:45

Quote: Originally posted by Practicaler  
Hello everybody . I am synthesizing hexamine .i have proper glass equipment and i make it easily in them . Yesterday my friend asked me is it safe to make it in aluminium vessel . I am not sure about this so i am asking you is it safe to make hexamine using formaline and ammonium hydroxide in aluminium vessel . If i boil ammonium hydroxide and formaline in aluminium vessel will they react with aluminium or hexamine will be formed

Ammonium hydroxide/hexamine does not corrode aluminum. Source: http://www.usmotors.com/TechDocs/ProFacts/Corrosive-Chemical...
Practicaler
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-4-2012 at 01:18

What about formaline
bbartlog
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-4-2012 at 04:24

I wouldn't use ammonia solution in aluminum. I've seen it attack aluminum pans. Maybe with the right choice of alloy this problem can be avoided or minimized but I think it's easier to just use something else.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
rannyfash
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-4-2012 at 06:52

aluminium reacts strongly with strong bases, my problem is that bioling the weak base will dissociate more OH- ions and at a certain temperature it will react with aluminium so...

teflon is widely used in non stick pans, just buy a teflon pan and use that, if you look after your pan it will see you alot of use as the teflon is impervious to all but a select few nasty chemicals

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene

"High corrosion resistance favors the use of PTFE in laboratory environments as containers, as magnetic stirrer coatings, and as tubing for highly corrosive chemicals such as hydrofluoric acid, which will dissolve glass containers."

also be carefull, Hexamethylene triperoxide diamine is a hell of an explosive, safety first, make sure you only prepare small quantities at a time and use a blast shield, and when detonating use an electronic fuse

[Edited on 28-4-2012 by rannyfash]
Practicaler
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-4-2012 at 06:59

I am not going to make HMTD at all . My friend just questioned me as i mentioned in my first post for that only i am asking does ammonium hydroxide or formaline attacks aluminium vessel or not. By the waY i have proper glassware its my friend lovy who lacks in it for him i want to ask
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-4-2012 at 09:54

Copper free aluminium alloys are often used to store bulk concentrated ammonium/water solutions.

Any copper containing Al alloys can be pitted/corroded, the higher the level of Cu the faster the damage.

Practicaler
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-4-2012 at 18:25

Is it possible to boil ammonium hydroxide in pure aluminium vessel

Go To Top