Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NaOH vs KOH
nyll
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-5-2012 at 18:54
NaOH vs KOH

Hi everyone. I've been wondering about this for quite some time and I have searched the web without finding a definite answer.

The matter is that on many hydrolysis and isomerization procedures using strong bases, some authors use KOH, while others seem to prefer NaOH.

I just want to know if that is just a matter of preference/availability or if it does actually matter for pratical purposes, since they both are quite similar compounds.

KOH is more expensive and not very OTC where I live also, so it would be good if someone more experienced could clear this out. I'm sure many people here would also like to know. :)
nezza
Hazard to Others

Mood: phosphorescent

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 01:10

They are both similar in strength. The choice of which to use depends on circumstances. KOH is much more soluble in alcohol than NaOH and in aqueous solutions the carbonate does not precipitate out like Na2CO3.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 01:23

Quote: Originally posted by nyll  
I just want to know if that is just a matter of preference/availability or if it does actually matter for pratical purposes, since they both are quite similar compounds.

Of course it matters for some practical purposes, but not all. It mostly depends on the solvent used and the functions the KOH or NaOH are supposed to have. For example, in water it is mostly irrelevant in most cases if the KOH/NaOH is used solely as a base. However, in solvents that are less able in solvating cations, the difference in basicity and other properties of KOH and NaOH can be huge. Most of these differences originate from the acidity difference between the sodium vs. potassium cation. Na<sup>+</sup> is considerably more acidic and harder than K<sup>+</sup> and thus the NaOH is consequently considerably less basic in most solvents. The difference is even more obvious when comparison is made also with LiOH and CsOH. Read upon the HSAB theory to understand the basics in regard to how hardness/softness affects solvation, coordination and proton affinity.
Quote:
I've been wondering about this for quite some time and I have searched the web without finding a definite answer.

You should improve your searching skills. This topic has been already disused on the forum.

Go To Top