Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: The Sciencemadness Book Project, Revived
sargent1015
Hazard to Others

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 20:44
The Sciencemadness Book Project, Revived

Alright, so now that I am taking over the most impressive book ever written by home chemists, for home chemists, and I felt like I needed to start a new thread.

First off, I am owing a substantial amount of credit to BromicAcid for starting this project, putting an incredible amount of time into it, and giving me the opportunity to take his baby and advance it.

That being said, I am looking for some other dedicated individuals to contribute to the areas they consider themselves "experts" in. If you want to see what these sections/topics are or just to read the current book, check out BromicAcid's page:

The Book's webpage with PDF's: http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm

Also, I am in desperate need of newer photos with higher resolution, specifically (since this is the section I am currently going through) glassware pictures. No matter what it is, snap a picture and send it to me (U2U me and I will provide you with my email to get the high res pictures). NO copyrighted material please!

I would prefer that the photos had a black background, but beggars can't be choosers!

Also, submit written works/pages/topics to me and I will attach it to the appropriate section. Your contribution will be noted in the overall credits of the book! That's right, fame!

Thank you in advance everyone. Looking forward to working with the brave souls who want to see this great work finished!

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 07:25

Actually, it's a probationary period to see if sargent1015 is up to the task. Officially I would be in charge of handing over the torch so to speak to prevent pretenders from stepping up to the throne. I didn't realize you'd be making a WWW announcement.

For those of you that have already contributed here are the conditions to taking over the project:

1) The final work has to be freely available, the contributions to the project thus far have all been under that pretense. I realize that's probably a no-brainer but it had to be said.

2) I would need to be kept on as an editor. I would hate for this project to contain inaccurate information and now with 6 years of industrial experience I am quite capable in the laboratory.

3) As I state in the mission statement of the book, this text is not for drugs or bombs. It is pure science and what people do with it is their on direction of the information contained therein. This cannot become some k3w1 text, this project is intended to be the type of thing anyone interested in home chemistry can find and use without being afraid of being stigmatized for.

4) No plagiarized information. This work was never meant to plagiarize. A number of early submissions were individuals scanning in text and e-mailing it to me or more subversively copying text word for word from some source and not citing it. I won't even do this with Wiki although it is permissible if cited for other projects because I wanted this project to actually be written by the home chemist for the home chemist. It is to stand alone of it's own power. Pictures are to come from the chemists this book is written for

Still, let's all wish sargent1015 more luck with this than I have had.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
sargent1015
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 08:25

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  
Still, let's all wish sargent1015 more luck with this than I have had.

Opps, forgot to mention that! Thanks Bromic! It was a late night with chapter one :D

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 09:37

I would love to contribute, and ATM I'm working, for Prepubs, on a comprehensive guide on safety for the amateur chemist. You can put it in the book if you like, and if needed I can take pictures and write some short guides on the art of correctly folding and fluting filter paper.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
sargent1015
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 09:40

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
I would love to contribute, and ATM I'm working, for Prepubs, on a comprehensive guide on safety for the amateur chemist. You can put it in the book if you like, and if needed I can take pictures and write some short guides on the art of correctly folding and fluting filter paper.

That would be fantastic! I would love to include it. Also, any pictures you are willing to submit will find a home in the book. As Bromic additionally wanted, something similar to the old text books with LOTS of photos! Remember to keep them copyright free.

I'll U2U my email for submitting such items.

Thanks again!

Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 11:23

Thanks, do you have Microsoft Publisher 2003 or later installed, sargent?

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
sargent1015
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 11:27

I do not have Microsoft Publisher, but I do have Microsoft Word.

Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 12:46

Tish, tish.

MS Publisher 2003, for some reason, won't let me save my publications as Word documents (neither .doc or .docx) or as PDF files. I therefore have two options . . .finding a tech-savvy member of the forum that has MS Pub and knows how to convert to Word, or I could save each page as a .jpeg or .gif image file and send them to you . . .but using that method you may need to type it out yourself again.

I have included many images in the publication, so copying and pasting the entire document into an SM post is going to be really difficult as I can't insert the images where they are quoted in the written text.

Any ideas?

Also, if you're asking other people to write the book for you on top of what BromicAcid has already done, that doesn't make you an author.

[Edited on 8-5-2012 by Hexavalent]

sargent1015
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 12:50

Well, I am not very tech savy... But Bromic did use some sort of text converter to place his stuff on the web site. Maybe we can do something similar.

Are there any other file types you can save it as? (txt, html, etc.) I think the PDF might be hard to work with for the reasons you stated.

Any one out there have a solution for this?

Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 12:56

Yes, I can save in those formats but with some issues. I am writing the article ATM in column format as it seems to look neater, but when I try and save as a .txt or .html file they are all blended together and the images end up going everywhere and I can't shift them.

sargent1015
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 12:58

You could try sending me the PDF version, then I can try to decipher and reassemble the messy txt version. Seems like the hard way but do able!

Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:08

Sorry, just noticed that MS Pub 2003 cannot seem to save as a PDF.

Note that this guide is NOWHERE NEAR finished. I have just scratched the surface on what I intend to say.

Attached is a simple RTF document of what I've got so far, but the pictures I included in the text are not present. Exactly the same happens with Word that happens here. Then, I've included the original MS Pub file, then a webpage showing just page 1 of the text I've written but with the images in the wrong places. If you want the rest of the document like the latter, then let me know and I'll do it like that, you'll just have to rearrange the images yourself.

Attachment: lab safety publication.rtf (13kB)
This file has been downloaded 421 times

Attachment: lab safety publication.pub (528kB)
This file has been downloaded 415 times

[Edited on 8-5-2012 by Hexavalent]

Attachment: lab safety publication.htm (30kB)
This file has been downloaded 449 times

sargent1015
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:17

So I guess I have publisher, but it is unlicensed, so I cannot even copy and paste to or from it. The HTML does not include the pictures for some reason, but at least with RTF I can view it on Word.

So let's go with the RTF file type and somehow we can work the pictures.

Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:20

Can you not drag and drop text into Publisher somehow?

sargent1015
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:26

From my unlicensed version, I can do nothing but read what you have written. Everything is locked.

Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:27

I see, is there no way you can somehow . ..erm . . .*acquire* a licence?

sargent1015
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:28

hahaha I certainly can try, but the RTF file works just as well (Minus Pictures)

Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:29

OK . . .hmmm . . .what would be the best way to get the images in?

sargent1015
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:31

Are they just photos you took on your camera? If so, email them directly to me

Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:35

No, images courtesy of Google images, unfortunately. Any ideas?

sargent1015
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:37

Just so you are aware, they must be free from copyright if I am to use them, or with expressed permission to do so. Otherwise, we can call out to other members (cough, cough) to acquire some photos themselves

Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:40

Erm . . .well . . .there's four of them in what's written so far, and I'm certain they are fine to use . . .if not, then I'm sure we can find a suitable alternative.

sargent1015
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:42

Alright, I will see what I can do to include this in Chapter One.

Thanks again for contributing.

How would you like your name to appear in the credits?

Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:46

No worries, I've a lot more on safety to come if its needed. I was thinking continuing on PPE, then discussing lab setup, general lab safety, proper use of fumehoods, etc. etc.

Could I have my name as 'Hexavalent of Sciencemadness.org' and perhaps my real name (U2U'd to you)

sargent1015
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:51

Sounds good, I will let you know when I get an update ready to show here. Also, whenever you get some more you'd like to submit, I'd love to see it!

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top