Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Cynmar Scientific Corporation
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 19-1-2005 at 09:31

Too bad about Cynmar. Other sellers have a way of popping up, however. It's hard to keep capitalism down, especially in the US. Asians are also avid businessmen.

I haven't been too worried about chemicals because I think that when things get tough we (MSDB) are creative enough to make just about any chemical we need. There should always be a substantial base of starting material available as "Readily Available Chemicals" as shown in Mr I am a Fish's most comphrehensive list. Some suppliers are getting more creative about using adulterants, however.

I have been concerned about getting equipment more than chemicals so have been on a buying binge for about a year, mostly just being patient until a bargain comes up on ebay. But I have also learned that most equipment suppliers are eager to do business. You just have to act professionally - and use a credit card. ;)

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Mickhael
Hazard to Self

Mood: Terrificlawful

[*] posted on 19-1-2005 at 10:22
Question on Kit

Ok, I've been doing some research of distilling nitric acid among other things.

What is the best group of equipment to buy for this purpose, to also be used for purifying as well. I need the vaccum pump as well as all connections - stands etc. What and where would anyone recamend buying this? Thankyou.

\"I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer...\"
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 19-1-2005 at 16:15

I’ve looked high and low for cheap jointed glassware and the cheapest I could find (by a good margin) was UGT. To save a few bucks on shipping, buy through one of their eBay auctions.:D
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 19-1-2005 at 17:36

Quote:
I need the vaccum pump as well as all connections - stands etc. What and where would anyone recamend buying this? Thankyou.

Hey there, well I just wanted to point out that an aspirator would be byu far a better source of vacuum for you. One, you can get one for less thatn $30 on ebay(Stainless stell mind you) and Secondly for most chemical operations at reduced pressure you only need a weak vacuum anyways. So, if you have access to an outside water spiggot and you can read up on laboratory techniques, I am sure you willl agree that this would be your best choice. Do it while its winter and the water is cold and you should see amazing vacuums!

Fellow molecular manipulator
Mickhael
Hazard to Self

Mood: Terrificlawful

[*] posted on 20-1-2005 at 23:58

Ah i see, thanks chloric1...I'll look into that for sure!

\"I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer...\"
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-1-2005 at 01:15

UGT definatly looks great, however, I saw a cheaper (by $50) source for a 24/40 vacuum distillation apparatus on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=38660... This was on the first page of an ebay store originally posted by Mendeleev ( http://stores.ebay.com/kantu200-scientific-store )

So, is there a catch? The seller seems to be a very reliable one.

I also see my birthday present (with a 300mm condenser instead of the 200mm, and a 300mm Vigreux column).
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 22-1-2005 at 07:01

I’m a little skeptic about that source. Glassware sold on eBay is not always first-choice and might be somewhat sub-standard quality, but I can’t speak for that seller. I guess that I just trust UGT more because they specialize in glassware and sell a lot of glassware outside of eBay, while Kantu200 only seems to sell on eBay.

The prices come to about the same no matter which seller you buy from. UGT’s ‘Distilling Distillation Kit’ has the standard glassware, a wide-range thermometer, hollow stopper, and free shipping for $155. Kantu200 sells the standard glassware for $110 + $7.50 for the stopper + $20 for shipping = $140, but it doesn’t come with a thermometer. What you buy from depends on whether you need vacuum glassware or not.

[Edited on 22-1-2005 by neutrino]
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 22-1-2005 at 07:16

You could ask some of the people that have bought from them in the past how their products are working out, send emails to 25 of them and you usually get back three or four. I bought my first distillation kit off eBay, it was great. I wish that seller still sold on eBay, 5 years later and nothing from the set is broke.

[Edited on 1/22/2005 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Cyrus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-1-2005 at 23:07

Hmm, I was just about to place another order with Cynmar!:mad: (for my school! ;) because the other source they use is Flinn, which is a lot more expensive for some stuff.)

[Edited on 23-1-2005 by Cyrus]

mycoguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 02:38

I just purchased a 24/40 dist. setup from Kantu Scientific, on Ebay.

Paid only about $100. Was kinda bummed to find out that it was Bomex, but I'm not complaining for the price I paid.

Packaging and Shipping were superb.
Avagadro's Lab is a good ebay seller too, however, his prices are a bit higher for the same stuff.
Quince
National Hazard

sad.gif posted on 7-2-2005 at 07:55

Any reasonably priced Canadian suppliers? I spent a couple of hours searching and gave up. Looks like it's going to be cheaper for me to import from the US and pay customs and mucho shipping charges...

\"One of the surest signs of Conrad\'s genius is that women dislike his books.\" --George Orwell
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 11:59

labx often has Canadian sellers. The prices there are usually higher though. I've said it before, buy from the auctions and you'll pay less for more. You don't need it right now, take your time. But not too long, no law saying that ebay has to sell glassware and chems.

On topic, being a past customer of Cynmar means that I got their 334 page 2005 catalog a week or 2 ago. Its pretty cool, nicer than wading through the site. Some stuff is, um, "competitive". Other stuff is reasonable, a few useful things are cheap. A science geek could be led to spend a lot of money if he had it.

No elaboration on the chemical policy though, says the same thing as on their site. Subject to a $15 hazard charge: CuSO4, lactic acid, KHSO4, NaHSO4, and ZnCl2! Yes, even the hydrates.
rift valley
Hazard to Others

Mood: semiconducting

[*] posted on 11-2-2005 at 18:59

I also just recieved their big catalogue and it does say no chemical sales to individuals, its on the first page where the chemicals are listed, this blows. Now i only have one option, al-chymist I hope they stick around:(
ChemicallyImbalanced
surly adolescent

Mood: Synaesthesia

[*] posted on 19-2-2005 at 14:43

Yeah... Cynmar is just a chemical middle man. It was the decision of their supplier to stop selling chemicals to individuals. I always felt that they charged a hazmat fee on too many chemicals and although the $13 fee is low compared to most places some suppliers charge even less. No matter what chemical you are after if you look hard enough you'll find a company that sends it as ORM-D. Cynmar is great for equipment purchases, but for chemical acquisition there are suppliers that are more cost effective etc.

[Edited on 19-2-2005 by ChemicallyImbalanced]
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

Mood: ok

shocked.gif posted on 20-2-2005 at 08:29
Cynmar scientific...

Hi,

how anyone has seen, cynmar no longer sell chemicals and/or equipment to individuals since 1st January 2005.....that's a problem for me....there is any other chem. supplier cheap as cynmar which sells to individuals in europe?

Thanks for help! ;)
Maja
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-4-2006 at 09:38

Look at UGT this kit : http://www.unitedglasstech.com/distillingKIT3.htm cost 240$ + 25$ for shipping in my case = 265$. The first organic kit at : http://www.organicglassware.com/ cost 250$ + ~25$ for shipping... It's Pyrex ! "All pieces are interchangeable with Pyrex" From their site. There are more pieces, 3 neck RBF , addition funnel ,etc.... VERY useful tools... So why anyone should buy from UGT ... ? It's much better at www.organicglassware.com and you are getting many more pieces... And you can replace or add more glassware to that KIT !!! fantastic ...

[Edited on 15-4-2006 by Maja]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top