Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sciencemadness turns ten! Congradulations!
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

thumbup.gif posted on 19-5-2012 at 06:52
Sciencemadness turns ten! Congradulations!

10 Years.png - 6kB

Ten years, wow...

Amusingly enough the retrospective thread was written over eight years ago. Still, I feel that helps to capture the information on the inception of the board best since it was written so close to the conception. Although there were other incarnations before this version I still go off the registration dates under the member list simply because that has stayed so consistent for this past decade.

It's amazing how much this site has weathered. Two hacking attempts (1) (2). Our host not responding to e-mails, running out of bandwidth, transitions to new versions of XMB, abuse of FTP service, tolls up the wazoo, the list goes on, and on, and.... on.

There was plenty of good though. Of course there was Polverone's little spot in Wired Magazine and just look at all the posts! Still, what should we do for anniversaries here?

Over the years I've found the best policy is to simply thank Polverone (with donations). :D

I mean, ten years! That's a long time in internet time. Even though I don't visit this site as much as I used to it is still my most visited site online and I feel that as a chemist it has got me to where I am today.

PS. I thought there was a 5 year retrospective thread that linked to the old retrospective thread but I was unable to find it. If someone finds it could they link it?

[Edited on 5/19/2012 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 19-5-2012 at 07:22

.....its been an interesting time here, as many personalities have come and gone and still Polverone remains doing his good deeds....thank you, for keeping this portal open for all of us to learn and share what we have to offer......solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
kuro96inlaila
Hazard to Self

Mood: Quietly thinking

[*] posted on 19-5-2012 at 07:57

It has been a long 10 years,and sciencemadness sure has went through a lot of things as bromic acid said.
I hope this site will continue to flourishes (fluorine?:o) as it has been a great help,to me and I believe to every member here as well.

This site will be the medium for us (chemist,scientist and others) to communicate.In other words,this site has connected us all.A lot of problems can be solved with this forum.For those who have argued in this site,let bygone be bygone,we are all in one family

I want to say thanks to Polverone and to all member here,Thank you!
And HAPPY 10th ANNIVERSARY SCIENCEMADNESS!:D

http://www.youtube.com/user/kuro96inlaila

Genetic assortment is the dices of God
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 19-5-2012 at 13:48

I've only been here for about 6 months, but feel as though I've found a home here. Happy birthday ScienceMadness.org, thankyou Polverone and all the others who have helped me get where I am today . . . a much better chemist, however inexperienced by my age, than when I started.

[Edited on 19-5-2012 by Hexavalent]

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 19-5-2012 at 14:35

Thanks for remembering, BromicAcid. I would not have remembered the occasion today. It's exciting to see old-timers like you and solo still coming back here after so many years. It's also exciting to see new members join and grow. Here's hoping we will still be here for a 20th anniversary.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 20-5-2012 at 06:11

This place has been a wonderful source of entertainment and information for a science geek like me. It's an irrepleacable reference site.

Thanks to Polverone for starting it all, and keeping our little universe in check, acting as a teacher, librarian, archivist, police officer and even kindergarten monitor at times!

Robert

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 20-5-2012 at 08:35

May this site oxidise (or not) in glory!
EDIT: Not sure that sounded as well as I meant to...

[Edited on 20-5-2012 by Eddygp]

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
Eliteforum
National Hazard

Mood: Enjoying the journey

[*] posted on 29-5-2012 at 01:09

I was unaware there was a 19'th month.

All that glitters isn't gold.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 29-5-2012 at 08:50

I am here nearly 7 years now and I visit several times per day. I have not seen the first few years, but I have seen many members come and go as well. Polverone has been the constant factor over all these years and I want to thank him for all his efforts. I really enjoy the site and I get many interesting ideas from old threads and I am impressed what some people achieve without being affiliated at a big lab or university. Think of people like garage chemist, len1, zan divine, axe and swede (btw. good to see you here again). Polverone made this concentration of real mad science possible with this board, so the name is well deserved.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 12:19

Visiting occasionally here I lurked in the early days and at the hive and at E&W. Hydrazine is a compound which caught my interest, both in regards to energetic materials as well as the usefulness as a reagent in organic chemistry. So when Polverone expressed an interest in hydrazine he was saying the magic word, like calling one my "pet compounds" by name, 9 years ago
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=470&am...
From lysergic hydrazide to ascent engines from Mars and everything in between... Who knows if Tommy's dog Sam ate purple flowers with selectivity for petunias or the morning glory, but dogs tend to be smarter and choosier than some people may think huh :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skydln4BhDI Draggin' The Line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDkm_eJb6tY Crystal Blue Persuasion

Nine years later, it seems like an orbital course somewhere beyond Mars and near to Jupiter, scanning a curious "monolith" here still full of stars :D And here I am feeling sentimental as if I am finishing saying yeah.... hydrazine is definitely interesting ....very interesting indeed

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=3576&a...

Happy Tenth Anniversary ScienceMadness and many happy returns
It has been generally a very interesting and pleasant journey
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 19:06

Been nearly 8 years for me, and I still drop in every day (mostly lurking now). How time flies. Congrats and thanks for 10 years of service to amateur science!

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings

Go To Top