Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Ebay supplier - legit or not?
barley81
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-5-2012 at 11:48
Ebay supplier - legit or not?

Hmm... Doesn't this eBay store look fishy? 100g Se for 16 pounds? It's very hard to believe.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jarmondbrinkley/m.html?_nkw=&_...
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 23-5-2012 at 11:53

Why would he not be legit ─ check his feedback?

barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-5-2012 at 12:28

Oh, sorry. In that case, the prices are extremely low! Sorry for starting an unnecessary thread, but at least others know about the seller now.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-5-2012 at 14:26

I ordered from this seller before but I had to make a special inquiry for shipping to Canada because eBay only states that they ship to EU.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 23-5-2012 at 23:13

I have ordered many chemicals from this supplier and I am very happy with this. He has good prices and quite a few interesting chemicals. His selenium is indeed very cheap, but it is of good quality (he has different grades, you should take the 99.9x % stuff). Sometimes he also has Te and TeO2 of good purity, at other times he only has crude Te. Just check at regular intervals.

My best purchases from him were 200 grams of NH4ReO4 for just GBP 20 and 160 grams of RuO2 for GBP 40.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-5-2012 at 11:47

He is offering 100g of pure Te for 12 GBP right now. Would you recommend purchasing selenium (powder, not beads) or purchasing tellurium for experiments? He also has 200g of sodium selenite for 12 GBP. I know these compounds are poisonous and cause you to smell very bad, and I have a gas mask for protection against fumes/dust. The mask has a NATO filter and I cannot smell anything through the filter when I breathe through it. I can also get 10g Te in crystalline lump form for USD 19 (including shipping). This might be safer because there is less risk of dust inhalation.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2012 at 12:05

A bit off topic but this seller has started selling titanium MMO mesh again after not having any for quite some time. I purchased some before and it works great for chlorate cells :) reasonable price too!

Speaking of the seller who is providing the Se and Te, i would probably get some of both just because of the excellent prices, bought the Te powder today, can't wait!! :P The powders are a little riskier as far as inhalation etc but it's easier to use them very carefully as opposed to trying to bust the lumps up into manageable sizes for experiments which is a b*tch (in the case of selenium anyways)
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 24-5-2012 at 12:09

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  

My best purchases from him were 200 grams of NH4ReO4 for just GBP 20 and 160 grams of RuO2 for GBP 40.

:o :o :o

Alfa Aesar puts the perrhenate at 50000 NOK and the ruthenium oxide at 62000 NOK :o Together, that's 14800 €, 11900 £ or 18700 $!! You could buy a car for that! That's an UNBELIEVABLE find, Woelen! No doubt you have to be extremely happy about it! :D Have you tested the purities?

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 24-5-2012 at 17:29

Those are some low prices!

woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 25-5-2012 at 01:49

@barley81: If you can afford, I would buy both the Se and Te powders, but if you can only afford one of these, then I would go for Se. Se has a more diverse chemistry than Te. I also purchased the Na2SeO3 from him. This material is of adequate purity, but not excellent. If you make a solution of the Na2SeO3, then you should allow any insoluble matter to settle at the bottom, before conducting experiments with it.

The Se-powder I have from him is of excellent quality.

@Lambda-Eyde: I did not know that these compounds are that expensive! I also made an estimate and estimated at EUR 5000 or so. Both chemicals are quite pure. The RuO2 dissolves in bleach when heated gently and gives a green solution (perruthenate, RuO4(-)), which on standing becomes red (ruthenate, RuO4(2-)). On acidification and addition of zinc powder I get deep blue solutions of Ru(II). According to literature these indeed are the typical reactions of ruthenium. So, these experiments confirm that indeed the material is mainly RuO2, but of course, it does not tell the real purity. I think, however, given the results I had, that it certainly must be 90% or better.
The NH4ReO4 is a white solid, which dissolves completely, albeit with some difficulty. NH4ReO4 only is sparingly soluble, somewhat like KMnO4. I have another sample of NH4ReO4 (5 grams for nearly EUR 50) and the NH4ReO4 from eBay shows the same reactions as the much more expensive material, so this confirms it is mainly NH4ReO4, but again, whether it is 90%, 95% or even better cannot easily be determined.

Anyway, yes, I am VERY happy with these finds. As soon as these finds were on eBay, I purchased all of the material. The NH4ReO4 was sold in 100 gram batches, 2 of them available and I purchased both of them and the RuO2 was sold in 80 gram batches, also 2 of them available. Lateron I have seen him sell 25 gram batches of NH4ReO4, but these were much more expensive (a few tens of pounds for 25 grams, while I only paid 10 pounds for 100 grams).

hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-5-2012 at 11:08

I stumbled onto this site and thought I had gone to heaven. http://www.artcraftchemicals.com/products/
The metal salts section was especially interesting.
strontiumred
Harmless

Mood: Delocalised

[*] posted on 26-5-2012 at 06:40

Artcraft is also totally legit. I have ordered several of these salts from them over the years and the stuff is high quality. They ship internationally too.
CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-5-2012 at 12:26

Quote: Originally posted by strontiumred  
Artcraft is also totally legit. I have ordered several of these salts from them over the years and the stuff is high quality. They ship internationally too.

Darn not silver nitrate unfortunately....

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
adamsium
Hazard to Others

Mood: uprooting

[*] posted on 27-5-2012 at 02:24

Quote: Originally posted by CHRIS25  

Darn not silver nitrate unfortunately....

Silver nitrate is offered by a number of sellers on ebay for reasonable prices and in small quantities.
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-5-2012 at 16:15

I just got a quote from them today on 100 gms. of Hexachloroplatinic Acid, here's their reply:

$2900 delivered for 100 grams
Price good for 72 hrs

thxs,
-mj-

Does this sound like a good price? Considering the time and hassle of messing with aqua regia and acquiring the platinum. I don't know exactly how much mass you gain for the chlorination but this doesn't sound like a bad price.
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 31-5-2012 at 00:01

Assuming the chemical is anhydrous H2PtCl6, this contains appr. 47 grams of platinum, so you pay appr. $60 per gram of Pt. Of course you also pay for the chemicals needed for making the hexachloroplatinic acid and the work of isolating and purifying it.

If it is the hexahydrate H2PtCl6.6H2O, then you have 37 grams of platinum in 100 grams of this chemical. So, you should ask the supplier whether it is the anhydrous salt or the hexahydrate.

I do not know the current price of platinum, but with this info you should be able to decide for yourself if this is a good price or not.

hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-5-2012 at 02:14

It is the hexahydrate, sigh, I was hoping to cut some time, but with platinum down to around $1400/ounce, I guess I'm going scraping for platinum.
EssOilChem
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 04:40
Speaking of eBay - Creepy

This - wow, creepy "It puts the lotion on its skin, OR ELSE IT GETS THE HOSE AGAIN!!!"
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 10:05

This is a great seller, and he sells nothing even remotely suspicious (by nature and(or) quantity). Yeah, if he sold some thallium metal or salts in there, then there might be issues. Or if some of his elements were of certain isotopes, there might be issues. But as it is, this is a great seller - no worries.
barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 14:05

I bought 50g Se and 100g Te for a total of $42 shipped to the USA. I'm really pleased with the good prices. Otherwise I would have gotten only 10g Te for $14.95 and no Se at all.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 14:07

Quote: Originally posted by barley81  
I bought 50g Se and 100g Te for a total of $42 shipped to the USA. I'm really pleased with the good prices. Otherwise I would have gotten only 10g Te for $14.95 and no Se at all.

I received my 100g of Te powder yesterday, really nicely packed and good quality :) Enjoy yours!
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 12:22

Just bought the following chemicals from him:

20g of:

TELLURIUM POWDER - Purity 99.99%
SELENIUM - Se 99.92%
TANTALUM METAL POWDER - Ta 98.96%
COBALT BORO-NEODECANOATE

100g of:
AMMONIUM PARATUNGSTATE - 99.98%
COBALT METAL High Grade - Co 99.9%+
NIOBIUM HYDROXIDE
VANADIUM ALUMINIUM - High Grade - V 90%+
MANGANESE METAL FLAKE - Mn 95.7%

50g of:
DIBUTYL TIN OXIDE - Purity 99.98%
DIBROMOPROPYL ETHER (C21H20Br8O2)
Sodium selenite

The cost including shipping was 72$.
I can't wait to rinse the vanadium-aluminium alloy in NaOH solution, hopefully obtaining pure vanadium.
mineralman
Hazard to Self

Mood: complicated

[*] posted on 15-6-2012 at 12:56

WARNING, The guy from lithuania selling chems makes mistakes.
I have recently been arrested for either/or manufacturing drugs or bomb componants, none of which is true.
I believe he has sent me two packages by mistake (addressed to me, but not for me). I know for a fact that one is deff miss labled and sent to me (sodium bromide), also during questioning, I was questioned about chemicals I do not own and never have done, I believe this to be the second package that is in the posession of the police.

I wont go into details as this may harm or influance any final desision by the police whilst they ponder what they do about the situation.

But I believe they are watching this guy, but as he fucks up orders and situations could/can arise from ordering from him, I HIGHLY RECOMEND YOU STAY WELL CLEAR OF THIS PERSON.

Being turfed out of your house for 4 days and being treated like a criminal is not fun MM

thats your feedback, make your own desision

[Edited on 15-6-2012 by mineralman]
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-6-2012 at 13:28

What guy from Lithuania?
anotheronebitesthedust
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-6-2012 at 13:38

The police are just doing their job. If you pay taxes that is where your tax dollars go. Get over it.

If you're scared of getting a visit from the police you're probably doing something illegal. I've purchased both red phosphorus and iodine from redbestoffers.com and never had any problems.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top