Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Ebay supplier - legit or not?
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-6-2012 at 22:12

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  
Nononononono...there is nothing UK specific about the auction. It happens to also be listed on the UK ebay because international is offered, that doesn't mean they (LE) would have to go through with it. Maybe they would, I don't know UK laws. Safrole-rich oils including real sassafras oil are very much DEA List 1. Obviously sassafras oil can be anything, it doesn't mean it has safrole in it. Lots of safrole-free sassafras oil on the internet...pretty much all of it.
I didn't even think to check if it also appeared in the US listings. It does.

I just looked up on the USDOJ site. Sassafras oil is indeed considered the same as safrole for List I purposes. That wasn't in the summary list on their site I looked at before my first post, but it's there is some of the others and in the commentary there.

So, never mind.

P.S. The same seller had a previous auction for only some of the chemicals for less money; it didn't sell. The account itself is well aged, with at least one transaction back to 2005. I'm wondering if it's a sting or just somebody clueless who stumbled on this lot as a whole, say, as part of a storage unit disposal auction.

Also, I looked into reporting it, but there's no category I could see in their reporting forms for "drug precursors". They've also removed the comment field in reports, apparently. It seems possible that if they knew what it was, they'd yank it immediately, but that they've made themselves deaf to being informed. If you don't know any chemistry, it looks on the surface like just anything else chemical.

[Edited on 19-6-2012 by watson.fawkes]
ItsAChitzen
Harmless

Mood: lulz

[*] posted on 19-6-2012 at 04:29

Quote: Originally posted by Lambda-Eyde  
Quote: Originally posted by ItsAChitzen  
LOL at that kit. For 2100 dollars no less...

Well, it isn't that extreme. In my neck of the woods, the cyanoborohydride runs for almost 1000 USD alone. Add to that all the other chemicals plus a lot of equipment, and the price isn't that much off.

You can get that much here for ~350 US, brah. It might not be Sigma 99.999999999999999 trace metal analysis, but I'm willing to bet that this stuff isn't either.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-6-2012 at 05:08

I was asked in U2U for the USA Department of Justice site references.

The overall site is for the DEA Office of Diversion Control. They not only deal with List I and II, but also scheduled drugs. The overview page for List I and List II Chemicals. The actual lists are in 21 CFR Section 1310.02 Substances covered.

Easiest way to find other relevant documents is to use the Google search term "site:usdoj.gov" or "site:deadiversion.usdoj.gov".
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 19-6-2012 at 11:18

Quote: Originally posted by ItsAChitzen  

You can get that much here for ~350 US, brah. It might not be Sigma 99.999999999999999 trace metal analysis, but I'm willing to bet that this stuff isn't either.

If you had bothered to look at the pictures for the auction, you'd see that it's actually two 50 gram bottles of sodium cyanoborohydride in sealed tins from - you guessed it - Aldrich.

The prices I looked up were from a different company, I think it was Acros. The prices I gave were including VAT (25%), and you also have to take into account the high price levels where I live.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top