Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Metalworking Fluids
Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 28-5-2012 at 04:28
Metalworking Fluids

Somebody has information about Metalworking Fluids?
I am looking for it formula and ratio.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 28-5-2012 at 05:13

Do you mean flux for soldering or brazing?
Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 28-5-2012 at 05:20

No,
Metalworking fluid (MWF) is the name given to a range of oils and other liquids that are used to cool and/or lubricate metal workpieces when they are being machined, ground, milled, etc. MWFs reduce the heat and friction between the cutting tool and the workpiece, and help prevent burning and smoking. Applying MWFs also helps improve the quality of the workpiece by continuously removing the fines, chips, and swarfs from the tool being used and the surface of the workpiece. (Swarfs are the small pieces of metal removed from a workpiece by a cutting tool.)

[Edited on 28-5-2012 by Waffles SS]
cyanureeves
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-5-2012 at 05:48

tap magic is great for cooling especially tapping and drilling if you do hand drilling or tapping. if you're running lathes you'll need the water soluble oil kind because it takes a whole lot just like those pictures you got there. tap magic also worked great for me when i was doing punching, the old tap magic was better but they did away with it because rats and californians got cancer from it. good thing i live in Texas.
bquirky
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-5-2012 at 05:55

I use a mixture of motor oil, water and dish washing detergent. if you keep the system recirculating the fluid doesn't separate too much. it makes a huge difference to the cuts as much through mechanical swaf removal as cooling and lubrication but man it sure dose make a mess :)
bquirky
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-5-2012 at 05:58

you can allso use oil and kerosene but i am nurvus about leaving the machine running evan momentarily un attended with that kind of flammable fine mist floating around

Ive allready had a belt catch fire. flamabal collant is begging for trouble

[Edited on 28-5-2012 by bquirky]
Swede
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-5-2012 at 06:30

The number of cutting fluids is astronomical, and their formulas all vary. Synthetic, semi-synthetic, water soluble, bactericides and fungicides, etc. Comes in flood, spray, mist varieties. The classic fluid consists of a soluble oil cut with water in varying proportions.

Are you trying to make your own?

Look at the MSDS for various cutting fluids and it'll give you an idea.
Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 28-5-2012 at 08:02

Quote: Originally posted by Swede  

Are you trying to make your own?

Look at the MSDS for various cutting fluids and it'll give you an idea.

Yes,I want to make my own Metalworking fluid.
I tried one time and i was unsuccessful because after 2 week the odor of solution changed(due to bacteria and fungi activity)

One of my friend suggest me Bronopol(2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol) but this cause corrosion in metals.

My Metalworking fluid made of 20% Emulsifier + 80% Industrial Oil.I add 5 part of this Metalworking fluid with 10 part of water and milky solution obtained.I am looking for better formula and also better antibacteria ,antifungies (it should dissolve in oil)

[Edited on 28-5-2012 by Waffles SS]
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 28-5-2012 at 10:41

Most of the "good" metal working fluids I have used is an oil base with large amounts of free ammonia in, which you mix with water at around 1-2% of metal working oil:water.
If you want to make it yourself the oil have to be fairly light (short chain) and lubricating.
Once at metalworking class we were told to use used hydraulic oil, not a good idea I tell you, toxic oil smog everywhere...

Just buy a quart of the really good stuff, and it'll last a long time.

BTW I use a drop of the pure oil (not mixed with water) if I drill in high chromium alloys and works a little better than the mix IMO.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Go To Top