Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: stoichiometric coefficients of Cu(II)salicylate
Number 9
Harmless

Mood: ingin tahu semua

[*] posted on 28-5-2012 at 06:08
stoichiometric coefficients of Cu(II)salicylate

How many salicylate ligands are there in Cu(II)salicylate? I would like to prepare such a complex for the determination of salicylic acid in aspirin.

According to wikipedia it is Cu2(C6H5OCOO)2 but they don't have any sources in their article.

Is there more information about this subject?
What colour does it have. According to my teacher it has no colour, but I'am sceptic.

Some sources claim that it has a green colour and becomes ochre after a while. (Chemical Communications, 1967, p.1057b-1058, issue 20, 1967. But there is also one patent who claimes that it forms a blue complex. So, what article is right?
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 28-5-2012 at 06:28

This guy has made a mistake in so far as he used copper II chloride instead of copper I chloride but he seems to have made the stuff and got all three colours.

http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/How-to-make-sky-rockets/...

[Edited on 28-5-2012 by ScienceSquirrel]
Number 9
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-5-2012 at 11:54

What's the scientific explanation that there are 3 different colours for this particular complex.

Let's try it: if you mix ochre-yellow with bleu, the result will be a green complex (but it is actually not a green compound)... I predict that this compound have 2 different absorbance peaks when you put it into the spectrophotometer.

Not the complementary colour of green (which is red), but instead of that it absorbs the complementary colour of ochre which is bleu, and also the complementary colour of bleu, which is ochre.

But this is just a prediction and I don't have the absorbtion spectrum of Na-salicylate. Any comments?

Does anyone have a scientific paper about this subject, because this is not a good reference for university-level studies.

Another critical mistake in this article that the publisher has no name, no sources, no analytical data, no SI-units and no pictures. it's weird.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-5-2012 at 00:59

I suggest you try performing a literature search on your own. It will help you much more than waiting for others to do so, as you will learn new skills in the process. We have The literature searching guidelines for such opportunities. It is always a better option to do the literature work first by yourself rather than relying on others from the beginning. You can't really trust others to do an equally thorough job when not equally motivated as you are. However, sometimes others will find references you somehow missed, so it is always a good idea to come back to present the references you already collected in order for others to complete them with the missing ones.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Number 9
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-5-2012 at 06:25

You can't measure Copper(II)salicylate in the visible spectrum. The extinction peak starts at more then 800 nm. Also, the problem of Cu(II)salicylate is that it forms a green slurry rapidly, and then you can't determine it with a spectrophotometer. Upon dilution, the absorbance peak is out of range. (>800nm)

Number 9
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-5-2012 at 11:22

Here is the picture of Cu(II)salicylate...if it really exist. Because they probably have a elektron configuration 3d104s1 at the outer-shell when it should form a complex with a monodentate bulky ligand.

Then elektrons can not jump anymore from the teg E-level to the higer eg level. So, not sure that it really exist.

Post your comments about what causes the colour? Maybe just the CuCl2 that they used?

Foto0015.jpg - 168kB
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-5-2012 at 23:18

Quote: Originally posted by Number 9  
Maybe just the CuCl2 that they used?

Who is "they"? Please do not plagiarize on this forum. Give sources for anything you cite, pictures included
Quote:
Here is the picture of Cu(II)salicylate...if it really exist.

Which one? A cursory check of the literature shows several cupper(II) salicylate compounds are known. Many include additional stabilization ligands, such as water, though plain non-stabilised copper(II) salicylate is also known.
Besides, that picture above just shows two liquids of different colour. What should we make of that? I seriously doubt that any of the copper(II) salicylate complexes is a liquid, so utmost the picture shows a solution of some such complex, but not the complex itself, which should most likely be a crystalline powder.

You might want to be more explicit with what exactly you want to know, if you want assistance at all. For example, in the first post you say you want to prepare some such coordination compound, but then I wander why don't you just follow a literature procedure for its synthesis?
Number 9
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 01:34

@Nicodem, there is only a internal publication from the results. I don't give any references because op copyright protection.

What I know is that the complex is just a equilibrium and it might form several possible complexes.

You can't measure the solid ochre complex with UV-VIS, because the extinction peak lies in the IR-region. No historical data are available on the internet.

There is a procedure but you have to pay for the article to read the full-text.

Several complexes can indeed be formed in water, but what is the stongest ligand according to the ligand-field theory. Water or salicylate?

Go To Top