Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Stars
Teen Chemist
Harmless

Mood: Effervescent

[*] posted on 29-5-2012 at 12:43
Stars

I've recently become intrested in the science behind pyrotecnics and stars seem to come up alot. I know what they basicaly are but I would like to know more.

[Edited on 29-5-2012 by Teen Chemist]
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 29-5-2012 at 15:49

Is there anything specific you had in mind? There are a number of different varieties of stars with different effects. Each effect will have it's own related chemistry.

Generally speaking a star is a composition of an oxidizer, a fuel, and a binder. The binder is activated by an appropriate solvent and holds the star's shape once it's dried or cured. Stars may contain several oxidizers and fuels to achieve different effects. There are additional additives sometimes used, such chlorine donors to enhance colors, or things like carbonates and oxalates to enhance glitters.

If you want to know more about the chemistry behind certain effects I'd suggest Lloyd Oglesby's book "Glitter, Chemistry, and Techniques". It contains a good amount on one proposed view of the chemistry involved in the glitter effect. There is a book called "Chemistry of Pyrotechnics" by John Conkling, though it doesn't actually have a great deal of detailed chemistry in it. "Principles of Pyrotechnics" by A. A. Shidlovskiy is also quite good. I don't actually have it, but I've heard "Fireworks from a Physical Standpoint" by Dr. Takeo Shimizu is good as well. There are a variety of articles in the Pyrotechnica papers series that have good chemical and mechanistic insight in them.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-5-2012 at 16:28

Davis even has a chapter on pyrotechnics in "Chemistry of Powder and Explosives". You can get a copy in the reference section of Science Madness.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 30-5-2012 at 06:43

Go here:

(Passfire)

http://passfir1.w07.winhost.com/Home/tabid/41/Default.

And here:

(Pyrotechnics Guild International)

http://www.pgi.org/

Davis is an excellent source for classic explosives chemistry, but the pyrotechnics and fireworks section is more of historical interest than practical. By all means read it, but also look to such works as Alexander Hardt's Pyrotechnics and Takeio Shimizu's Fireworks: The Art, Science and Technique.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Teen Chemist
Harmless

Mood: Effervescent

[*] posted on 30-5-2012 at 11:34

Quote: Originally posted by hyfalcon  
Davis even has a chapter on pyrotechnics in "Chemistry of Powder and Explosives". You can get a copy in the reference section of Science Madness.

I have that book. To everyone else I just want a bit more info than I already have. Oh and thanks for all the help already.

[Edited on 30-5-2012 by Teen Chemist]

Go To Top