Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Silicon (and Boron)
aliced25
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-8-2010 at 04:29

I was just thinking, in the eternal quest for the inorganic products derived from boron and silicon (in my case the trihalides/tetrahalides), it is possible in the case of silicon to proceed from ferrosilicon with chlorine (250-350'C) to get SiCl4, so what would happen if aluminium diboride was treated similarly (ie. hot tube with chlorine)? Would that give a mixture of AlCl3 and BCl3? If so, purification shouldn't be that hard, the BP of BCl3 (12.6'C - Wikipedia) is hell lower than that of the by-product AlCl3 (MP:192.4'C - Wikipedia).

Has anyone got any suggestions on why this would not work? It just seems that if we can reach the boron/silicon halides via a simple aluminothermic reaction, followed by chlorination, then that would bring them into the "obtanium" range.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-8-2010 at 07:38

Quote: Originally posted by aliced25  
I was just thinking, in the eternal quest for the inorganic products derived from boron and silicon (in my case the trihalides/tetrahalides), it is possible in the case of silicon to proceed from ferrosilicon with chlorine (250-350'C) to get SiCl4, so what would happen if aluminium diboride was treated similarly (ie. hot tube with chlorine)? Would that give a mixture of AlCl3 and BCl3? If so, purification shouldn't be that hard, the BP of BCl3 (12.6'C - Wikipedia) is hell lower than that of the by-product AlCl3 (MP:192.4'C - Wikipedia).

Has anyone got any suggestions on why this would not work? It just seems that if we can reach the boron/silicon halides via a simple aluminothermic reaction, followed by chlorination, then that would bring them into the "obtanium" range.

Possibly, but note that AlB2 is one of those 'strange' electron deficient compounds, anything can happen when messing with those.

Wiki doesn't mention chlorination of AlB2 as a route to BCl3, but it does mention reaction of AlB2 and HCl to AlCl3 and borane...
Neil
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-4-2011 at 12:34
Boric acid

Bit of a bump but USP Boric acid is available from most pharmacies saving you the trouble of washing the Na out of borax. It's sold for making douches.
redox
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chalcogenetic

[*] posted on 16-4-2011 at 16:57

Boric acid is also available in hardware stores as an insecticide.
tahallium
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-3-2020 at 18:25

What about the electrolysis of silicates and borates? Cuz the electrolysis of sodium zincate make zinc metal and I think zinc is more reactive than silicone right?
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top