Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: PROBLEM DETONATING PICRIC ACID
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-6-2012 at 08:51
PROBLEM DETONATING PICRIC ACID

friends i have made picric acid by using powerlab's method and it works great . the problem i am facing is in its detonation . to test whether it detonates with physical shock or not i placed it in between two coins then hit it very hard with hammer it didnt detonate it even didnt puff ,nothing happened . what could be the problem with its detonation ?. i can surely say that it is picric acid but why it is not detonating ?. i read on google that it needs a very strong confinement to detonate .will anyone please tell me a easy way to detonate it.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 5-6-2012 at 09:02

Is it completely dry?

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
VladimirLem
Hazard to Others

Mood: Have no fear <Vlad> is here.

[*] posted on 5-6-2012 at 09:25

Quote:

i read on google that it needs a very strong confinement to detonate

i guess thats your problem ;)

u need a strong Cap (#8 or stronger) to set it off...

Fossil
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-6-2012 at 11:21

Coins are not perfectly flat. Your picric acid may not be getting the full force of your hammer blow. Try something that has no indentations, so a perfectly flat surface. BTW wear ear plugs, even if you are outside, it wont be pleasant for you if you don't have something to protect your ears.
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-6-2012 at 19:23

my picric acid is completely dry.@VladimirLem since picric acid is used as a booster in blasting cap then it should be easy to set it off. why it will require no8 blasting cap? the persons who have detonated your picric acid please tell me how to detonate it.
Bhaskar
Hazard to Self

Mood: Like nitro runaway!

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 01:47

Hmm..
Why don't you try metallic salts of picric acid?
I believe you will have better luck in detonating them...
;)
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 02:07

Quote: Originally posted by Bhaskar  
Hmm..
Why don't you try metallic salts of picric acid?
I believe you will have better luck in detonating them...
;)

metallic salts are generally primary explosive i have already detonated them but they are not as powerful as TNP and i need a base charge for my blasting caps.

which one is better idea to increase the sensitivity of picri acid .
1-- mixing picric acid with little nitoglycerine.
2-- mixing picric acid with HMTD.
3-- mixing picric acid with sulfur .
they all seems to be crazy ideas but what is the best way to increase sensitivity of picric acid
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 05:59

Bhaskars right, K picrate will probably detonate upon sufficient concussion. Trinitrophenol, no way. You need a high velocity initiator for that one. Doesn't have to be big, just need the speed. While your at it, light up a small sample of K-Picrate, and tell us how it whistles!

Vikascoder , I'd be afraid to somehow increase the sensitivity of picric acid in this uncontrolled manner. Is a slow reaction occurring? Does the sensitivity increase over time? So, will it perhaps explode on its own next time you open the jar, and scrape a few crystals between the jar threads and glass? HMTD is a high enough velocity detonator to reach the activation energy of picric acid detonation. But HMTD scares me. You really have to take extra steps to make sure it is pure. You really have to make sure it is dry, but without the use of excessive heat. Nitro is a good initiator, and it may be fast enough to take picric off w/ it. Nice thing is it's not too sensitive, so you never have to worry about nitro going off by accident. But nitro is god awfully toxic, and it behaves as it's own escipient. So getting a drop or two on your hands can easily put you out of commission for up to an hour, or worse. You'll have a miserable head-ache, and feel like you went on a long isopropyl nitrite binge - yuck! Honestly, the best luck you may have is to fill an empty CO2 or nitrous mini-cylinder with nitro-glycol, and just stick a green fuse into that. I can almost guarantee this will bring picric acid to full orgasm, and it's even less sensitive than nitro. Your results ah may vary. Please consult manual, light fuse, and get away.

[Edited on 6-6-2012 by Fennel Ass Ih Tone]

Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 09:26

Quote: Originally posted by Fennel Ass Ih Tone  
Bhaskars right, K picrate will probably detonate upon sufficient concussion. Trinitrophenol, no way. You need a high velocity initiator for that one. Doesn't have to be big, just need the speed. While your at it, light up a small sample of K-Picrate, and tell us how it whistles!

Vikascoder , I'd be afraid to somehow increase the sensitivity of picric acid in this uncontrolled manner. Is a slow reaction occurring? Does the sensitivity increase over time? So, will it perhaps explode on its own next time you open the jar, and scrape a few crystals between the jar threads and glass? HMTD is a high enough velocity detonator to reach the activation energy of picric acid detonation. But HMTD scares me. You really have to take extra steps to make sure it is pure. You really have to make sure it is dry, but without the use of excessive heat. Nitro is a good initiator, and it may be fast enough to take picric off w/ it. Nice thing is it's not too sensitive, so you never have to worry about nitro going off by accident. But nitro is god awfully toxic, and it behaves as it's own escipient. So getting a drop or two on your hands can easily put you out of commission for up to an hour, or worse. You'll have a miserable head-ache, and feel like you went on a long isopropyl nitrite binge - yuck! Honestly, the best luck you may have is to fill an empty CO2 or nitrous mini-cylinder with nitro-glycol, and just stick a green fuse into that. I can almost guarantee this will bring picric acid to full orgasm, and it's even less sensitive than nitro. Your results ah may vary. Please consult manual, light fuse, and get away.

i have already posted in my previous post that i have already detonate metal picrates but they are primary explosive and i need a base charge for my blasting cap. For this purpose i made picric acid but now i am not able to detonate. Will anyone tell me the easy way for detonating it . Or making it more sensitive so that it can be easily detonated.
mabuse_
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 09:38

I'll just quote Mr. Quicksilver on this issue:

Quote:

There is a simple and easy method to tell if you have TNP or a lower nitrated (DNP). Take a tiny weight such as a few milligrams (like a matchhead's worth) and wrap it in aluminum foil - place it on a steel anvil (wear GOGGLES) and strike it with a steel hammer. If it pops like a toy cap you're in business. if it does not react to impact stimulation, it is either DNP or has a great deal of DNP in it. Please do NOT place a heavier amount on the anvil. IF you have TNP the bang will be unpleasant.

Maybe your nitration did not work out so well.
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 14:39

To achieve a TRI-NITRATION (with the majority) care in temperature control must be maintained or else the final product will have a majority of DI-NITRATION, which WILL function as a medium for metal picrates yet will not have much impact sensitivity. Often a clean TNP will be very light in color. A product that is close to pure TNP will almost be a "white-yellow", the crystals will be well formed & as little as 50Mg will pop when impact tested.
Many factors may affect this issue; temperature, time in mixed acids, quality of both precursor and acid control of nitration bath (stirring in bath i.e. exposure & quality of acids). Many nitrations of phenols/poly-pheols) will have lower nitrations exist within the end result. The percentage matters a great deal and can be altered by several components.

If you alter any nitration, - alter them one at a time and keep notes so that you find the problematic agenda

[Edited on 6-6-2012 by quicksilver]

Hennig Brand
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 09:49

Picric acid is very insensitive compared to most of the other explosives we experiment with. Its sensitivity is generally considered to be only slightly more than TNT, and much less than the nitric esters. A fairly pure sample should still pop with a firm snap from a hammer on an anvil (steel on steel). Note that even small amounts of most primary explosives will be able to generate more localized heat and pressure than a hammer blow . Picric acid, especially if impure, is known to be stubborn to initiate. Also, even large quantities in shells driven by boosters have been known to show incomplete detonation and/or low order detonation (yellow vapor and/or residue was often seen when picric acid shells were detonated). Picric acid is however very storage stable and the insentivity can be a good thing from a safety perspective.

"A risk-free world is a very dull world, one from which we are apt to learn little of consequence." -Geerat Vermeij
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 19:40

What about tri nitro resorcinol is it also so insensitive like picric acid or it can be easily initiated . Is there any way to make picric acid more sensitive .
Hennig Brand
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 03:55

I have only ever used trinitroresorcinol to make lead styphnate, so I don't have any personal experience. However, according to Rosco trinitroresorcinol is quite a bit easier to initiate than picric acid. There are posts by Rosco on this in the "Picric acid different instructions" thread.

I don't know that much about sensitizing Picric Acid, but there has to be lots of different things that could be mixed with it that would increase overall sensitivity. I know a very common mixture seen in some of the older books was picric acid mixed with potassium nitrate, which was apparently easier to set off. I would have to look up the exact composition. Note, that most sensitizing additives will likely decrease storage stability and produce an explosive with less overall power. Picric acid is probably best used in pure form in a compound cap, with a suitably powerful initiator to set it off.

"A risk-free world is a very dull world, one from which we are apt to learn little of consequence." -Geerat Vermeij
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 15:03

What we are discussing is similar to Fedroff's "Hot Spot" initiation. A relatively light blow from a steel punch can produce a pop from a very low weight.
-=IF=- you can work well with sulfonation, nitrated pheonals. Spyphnic Acid is actually easier to with with than many materials. (Resorsonol) IS a bit tough to get but the yield is pretty good and lead styphate has a type of "flame spit" that allows it's utility to be quite flexible for many applications. There was a great deal written and fair pictures on this but it was back in '06-'08..

IF you can't find phenols; a good source is cattle bolices (very large, nearly pure cattle aspirin, approx $7 per pound. Often experimentation is demanded to get sulfonation is extensive and notes and mandatory.

[Edited on 10-6-2012 by quicksilver]

Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 19:57

Quicksilver I have made picric acid But the problem comes in increasing its sensitivity . Will any one please give valuable knowledge no the topic how to increase the sensitivity of picric acid so that it can be easily initiated without providing lots of confinement.
meaniac
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 20:39

Not my field of expertise, but knowing that lead picrate is a primary explosive, perhaps a very low concentration in the PA would increase sensitivity enough to be useful but not become dangerous. Uniform concentration would be the key.
Perhaps recrystallise the PA from hot water containing some small amount of heavy metal?

Some explosives have sensitivity depending on crystal size (tiny crystals = less sensitive). Slower cooling generally gives larger crystals. That may help.

Good luck with those experiments. Lots of people have lost vital bits of themselves messing with this stuff.

Hennig Brand
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 02:51

The solubility of lead picrate is extremely low compared to picric acid. They would most likely have to be mixed after they were made. Mixing lead picrate with picric acid would definitely increase sensitivity and of course reduce safety as well. There was a document posted in the "Picric acid different instructions" thread about initiating picric acid with only lead picrate. It involved mixing lead picrate with picric acid in certain proportions and made claims that picric acid could be initiated with just lead picrate alone. The whole thing sounded very improvised and I never got around to trying it (though I meant to).

Slow cooling of a slightly less than saturated solution of picric acid will produce larger crystals. Large picric acid crystals are known to be more sensitive to initiation. Even with large crystals, initiation of picric acid still requires a fairly potent initiator, I have found.

Something to keep in mind is that the critical diameter for picric acid is much more than for most of the other suitable candidates for a base charge. When initiating a picric acid base charge in a larger diameter casing, in order to maintain the same initiator charge height as was had with the smaller diameter casing, more initiator must be used.

A little extra confinement can also make a huge difference, especially with small charge weight (like in a cap).

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 14:06

I doubt your picric acid is fully nitrated. The nitration is not trivial to get right, and there is no real easy way to determine if you have the DI or TRI variety. It took me many tries and a lot of notes to get the nitration to give me good, consistent yields of TNP. The determination that it was TNP and not mostly DNP was made with an impact testing apparatus. Wrap a small bit of TNP tightly in foil, place it on a smooth steel surface, and hit it with a smooth steel hammer. If it is TNP it WILL make your ears ring. If it is mostly DNP, you will not be able to make it pop, even with a very hard hit from the hammer. Note, the steel surfaces must be smooth. Anything bumpy or purpose will not work well for impact testing.

Before you worry about sensitizing your product, you need to get the synthesis worked out. Like I said, it is really easy to get DNP and a bunch of oxidized red crap, but when you finally get it right and get TNP, it will respond to the impact testing. I promise.

Get your synthesis right and it will pop.

[Edited on 12-6-2012 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 18:35

Is the sensitivity same as RDX? I can make little rdx go off without foil from a nice hammer hit. Is the not fully nitrated product storage stable?
caterpillar
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 03:47

Quote: Originally posted by Ral123  
Is the sensitivity same as RDX? I can make little rdx go off without foil from a nice hammer hit. Is the not fully nitrated product storage stable?

Picric acid is less sensitive than RDX. I do not think, that making TNP more sensitive is a good idea. Make a detonator- TATP or double salt- silver carbide-nitrate. Or make some lead picrate and use it to wake TNP up, but NEVER make sensitive secondaries.

Women are more perilous sometimes, than any hi explosive.
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 08:50

I need to make picric acid more sensitive for my purpose . You are correct caterpillar that in detonator it should be used as it is . But for my purpose i need to make it more sensitive . So please suggest some ways to make it more sensitive
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 10:06

Pour with egdn (I would never waste nice material like picric like that)... Why you need it more sensitive btw? You need less critical diameter or what?
caterpillar
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 11:48

Quote: Originally posted by Vikascoder  
I need to make picric acid more sensitive for my purpose . You are correct caterpillar that in detonator it should be used as it is . But for my purpose i need to make it more sensitive . So please suggest some ways to make it more sensitive

Convert TNP to kalium picrate- it explodes, been ignited in confinement and is less sensitive than lead picrate. Or add some lead picrate to picric acid. But it will be dangerous mixture.

Women are more perilous sometimes, than any hi explosive.
VladimirLem
Hazard to Others

Mood: Have no fear <Vlad> is here.

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 11:51

Quote: Originally posted by Vikascoder  

hm...maybe some percents of ammonia nitrate ?

Quote:
Ral123: egdn

hm...TNP is an acid...could be a bit dangerous?!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top