Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Seperation of Salts?
zirconiumiodide
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 12:26

I am the same as Zirconium, but for some reason after forgetting my password i was unable to get it back as every time i clicked to get sent it in an email, the email never arrived. So i am now using another email address and have been slightly iodized!

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for such a late reply from me!

Quote:

In principal, the 114 g of NaCl should all stay dissolved but the fact that you have NaCl dissolved effects the solubility of the KCl.

Yeah after posting here i did a bit of further research and realised that having another ion in solution will affect the solubility of the other. In the case of Potassium Chloride and Sodium Chloride the NaCl will dissolve first due to the weaker bonds between the atoms. This means that by dissolving a certain amount of the mixture in water the Sodium Chloride will remain in solution whilst Potassium Chloride fails to dissolve. This means a fairly good seperation can be acheived. I can't remember where i read this as it was over a year ago now! ;)

But because of the change in solubility, that is probably why i ended up with a much larger amount of KCl than anticipated.

Quote:

Do a flame test. Although it's not worth anything since Na contaminations tend to shade the flame yellowish even at trace ammounts...;

I decided to do this as its quick and easy, although results, as you said, are scewed by even trace amounts of NaCl. And these are the results i got. (1) Pure Sodium Salt (table salt) (2) Pure Potassium Salt (KI) (3) Separated Potassium Chloride (3)
See attachments

As can be seen my salt looks to be a combination of the two! But is probably quite pure as the Potassium Flame is only being slightly masked by that of the Sodium.

I will probably recrystallise in about a month to try and get a nice unpolluted Potassium flame and will post the results on here once i've hopefully acheived that! ;)

I have since used the KCl to make Potassium Chlorate, following the boiled bleach + KCl method and obtained a rather low yield of 8g. But i think the bleach was pretty dilute as i used cheap stuff and wanted unperfumed! I haven't flame tested this but will do at a later date. I was going to use it for some experiments but can obtain small amounts rather cheaply and don't want to use my stuff that took quite a while to make!! :D

ZrI4

(1) Sodium Chloride.jpg - 340kB(2) Potassium Iodide.jpg - 322kB(3) Separated Potassium Chloride.jpg - 341kB
zirconiumiodide
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 12:34

Sorry still learning to use the forum and forgot to put who the quotes were from! First one was originally posted by vmelkon and second one originally posted by platedish29.

Also tempted to do more flame tests - do like the colours that can be obtained from burning different elemental compounds! :cool:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top