Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rechargeable hydrogen cell (closed system)
Petes
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

smile.gif posted on 12-6-2012 at 13:26
Rechargeable hydrogen cell (closed system)

Hello, this is my firsts post here...

I'm making a little personal research. I almost have no experience with chemistry and maybe you can tell me if this is possible or if it has been done before?

I've been investigating about something similar to this but I haven't found any information so I'm wondering if it's not possible.

Is it possible to make a rechargeable hydrogen cell as a closed system? To be used as a rechargeable battery.

Let me explain a bit:

It's a single closed system where you have water (or an electrolyte), then pass a current for the electrolysis to separate hydrogen and oxigen, then pass both gasses through a hydrogen cell (modified for it of course) so it generates electricity.

The resulting product of the hydrogen cell would be water, which would again be electrolyzed (like recharging a battery).

Compared to a regular alkaline battery:

The advantage of this system would be a relatively fast recharge time (electrolysis), no loss or very little loss of energy (for storage purposes since energy is stored in form of hydrogen) and high efficiency (since it's a fuel cell).

The electrodes would probably need to be platinum :o since it's a closed system and impurities may reduce the efficiency or destroy it. Also water vapor and the mixing of hidrogen with oxigen may be a problem.

I'm not asking if it's economically possible to do :D.

[Edited on 13-6-2012 by Petes]
HellstormOP
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 13:37

Of course is it possible - just look at the model cars that serve as fuel cell demonstrators, they have very similar systems, although maybe they don't store the generated water. But it would take a tiny step to convert them into entirely closed systems.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 13:41

You may find this article I wrote some time ago useful; http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=19885

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Migratory
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-6-2012 at 19:41

While it would work, I think it would be more efficient to electrolyze large amounts of water all at once, at a plant of some sort. Of course, then you have to pay to transport to gas stations.

Go To Top