Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: gas mixing sphere, magnetically stirred paddles, help identify?
edgecase
Hazard to Self

Mood: Viscous

[*] posted on 13-6-2012 at 12:16
gas mixing sphere, magnetically stirred paddles, help identify?

Looks unused.

http://coplanar.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=482

The one inlet extends inside, seems to be "aimed" at the mixing paddle, which suggests it's for mixing.

But, what IS IT? Starting to bug me now knowing. Couldn't find anything like it on Aldrich's site (that's the name on the box it came it - although it could be the wrong box).

On the bottom it's hard to see but there is a little dimple that acts as a bearing for the bottom of the stir shaft.

It's for sale BTW.

gas-mixing-sphere.jpg - 90kB
99chemicals
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-6-2012 at 12:41

Dont know what that is but man, does it look great! Amazing how just one specialized piece of glassware can look so neat.

I wonder what would happen if you are starting a reaction and condensation appears inside of the sphere? I would think you would use a CaCl2 tube on the inlet side. What would happen if the gasses react to make a side product of water...

Do you have mole problems? If so, call Avogadro at 602-1023

My Youtube Channel
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 14-6-2012 at 02:17

I'd say it's a chemical reactor, not a biological one. It's probably used for a constant flowing in/out. Check out the lower position of the stopcock's vent tube. It's a reactor. That's about everything I can say that wasn't mentioned in earlier posts.

hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2012 at 03:48

That looks like you could get in trouble real quick if your reaction was a little shall we say frisky? Close off both stopcocks at the same time and I imagine the pressure could get real interesting real quick.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-6-2012 at 10:21

It kinda looks like a gradient former of some type. You put, say hexanes, in the flask, and then flow ethyl acetate into the one side and a gradient of 0-100% ethyl acetate in hexanes will come out the other side. Gases do not need a paddle mixer typically, you just mix them in a simple T and they mix, maybe put a nozzle to make them more turbulent. But it is a very unusual piece of glassware no matter what.

Go To Top