Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: cheap source of deuterium arc lamps found
edgecase
Hazard to Self

Mood: Viscous

[*] posted on 4-7-2012 at 10:23
cheap source of deuterium arc lamps found

The UPS Ninja just left my package at the door. Inside is the deuterium arc lamp from eBay, supposedly new, but no make/model known, $43. My project is a pair of Waters 484 HPLC Tunable UV Absorbance Detectors. Proper replacement is $600. One has a lamp with a short/open, the other is end of life.

New lamp requires higher heater voltage, around 12VAC. The power supply goes thru an ignition cycle after a few minutes, connecting to opposite filament terminal fixed it, the arc stayed on for 10+ minues. The mounting base will require some modification also.

Anyhow I know lots of analytical equipment uses these, so I thought I'd post my findings.

deuterium_arc.jpg - 26kB

[Edited on 2012-7-4 by edgecase]
ripple
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 20:02

Neat! Sooo.... whats your source on ebay? Is the outer jacket quartz too or glass? What is its intended application, or is it just a chinafied replacement part for UV/Vis spec.'s?

Good work as always- the force is strong with this one!
edgecase
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 10:14

Quote: Originally posted by ripple  
Neat! Sooo.... whats your source on ebay?

Well someone bought the other four... just as I found out it's for a current HP 1315A/B unit, prices $600-$1300, yikes! Oh well, I only really need one.

Quote:
Is the outer jacket quartz too or glass?

Quartz or "UV glass" are both options, not sure exactly what this one has.
Quote:

What is its intended application, or is it just a chinafied replacement part for UV/Vis spec.'s?

It's just a replacement for the above HP, it comes on a pre-aligned base that just pops into the HP detector. It has the window for the visible spectrum lamp (usually tungsten) to shine thru it, although my Waters 484 doesn't use it.
edgecase
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-10-2012 at 18:43

Update, picked up another lot of 3 used Varian UV lamps, and these ones are electrically a match to the 484 detectors I have. The base needs to be adapted with some mulffler cement but I got it to calibrate! Now to rev-eng the GPIB commands, got parameter settings working, just need to get the absorbance readings worked out. I don't see much talk about UV detectors or HPLC on SM sadly.
Vogelzang
Banned

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-10-2012 at 10:53

http://www.dutchforce.com/~eforum/index.php?showtopic=31039

Go To Top