Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NEW Solvent Cans/Containers?
ripple
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 19:41
NEW Solvent Cans/Containers?

Does anyone know where to buy empty/new solvent tins/containers/cans... I guess my first question is what's the proper industry jargon for those 3.78 L/ 1 gal containers, made of steel (stainless would be nice too), that they sell solvents and other chemicals in? What is the name of the industry or business that makes and sells these things? I suspect they're the same lot that makes paint cans and stuff - industrial packaging?

I'm looking for a cheap and safe vessel to store solvents and such, and I'm too picky to reuse potentially contaminated ones and too poor/cheap to buy proper lab grade containers... i'd also like to get a massive nice new plastic container for fermenting.

Thanks!

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 06:35

I wouldn't 'imbibe' anything that came from a fermentation carried out in plastic.
As for containing solvents, bottles with tight, resistant caps should suffice . . .

edgecase
Hazard to Self

Mood: Viscous

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 10:21

I think he is looking for the gallon metal cans that WD-40, acetone, lacquer thinners are sold in at Canadian Tire etc. The reason being, that solvent's won't attack them, and unlike glass, they are "safe" to drop. Stuff like dichloromethane (DCM) is hard to hold in plastic, that's why you see the paint stripper gel in them, instead of plastic. The metal cans also resist the vapor pressure (ever seen those cans of paint stripper, bulged out at room temperature?), and won't fail as suddenly in a fire (soda-lime glass may shatter when in contact with flame).

I would look for a place that packages solvents? I know a local lab that uses dozens and dozens of actual paint cans, for smell testing of fabric/felt/plastics after ageing, good for dry distillations I guess, but they don't use the narrow screw-top ones.
Eliteforum
National Hazard

Mood: Enjoying the journey

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 10:39

I wouldn't bother. You can bet 99% of it's done in China. It'll be a very small market indeed anywhere else that'll sell you what you require.

All that glitters isn't gold.
rivetboi
Harmless

Mood: Critical

[*] posted on 29-7-2012 at 11:31

i believe they are called J-cans. You can buy them through Grainger or Freund. Empty containers tend to be expensive if not bought in case or pallet quantities. Also shipping can be a surprising cost. i been trying to get the nerve up to order a couple cases of 4oz amber glass jars with ptfe lined phenolic lids. i wonder if i can drive to Reno to pick them up?
fledarmus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-7-2012 at 10:04

What Rivetboi says - Grainger, look for carboys or jerricans.

As for plastic fermenters, food-grade plastics are available and some even made specifically for brewing. Here is one example - PET brewing bottle
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 30-7-2012 at 12:12

http://www.bestcontainers.com/

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-7-2012 at 17:38

Quote: Originally posted by rivetboi  
Ii been trying to get the nerve up to order a couple cases of 4oz amber glass jars with ptfe lined phenolic lids.

I have a few various new amber bottles from 4-32 oz with PTFE lined lids, if you are interested and don;t want to have to drive anywhere. I have been selling most if them for about $2 each, or an assortment of 10 various sizes for $15 plus postage. Just send me a u2u if you are interested. I can usually fit it into a fixed rate box for about $12.

Go To Top