Printable Version  
Author: Subject: test for metals? ID Europium etc
haroldramis
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-7-2012 at 17:03
test for metals? ID Europium etc

Hello,
I have some lanthanide samples, and would like to test them to make sure they are what they claim to be. I dont want to do alot of tests and waste the metals.
Anyone know of a place I can send a small sample to and have them IDed and verify the purity?
barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-7-2012 at 17:45

X-ray emission spectroscopy (PIXE)? You don't need much sample in order to obtain a spectrum.

Wikipedia says that geologists and archaeologists use it. You could look for a local geologist and ask him if he has the equipment.
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 15-7-2012 at 18:04

Jewelers and cash-for-gold stores are often equipped with some kind of X-ray thingies that can identify the composition of jewelry. I have no idea if it's XRD, XRC or whatever it's called - I'm a wee bit tired and I haven't taken any spectroscopy classes yet. :P

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-7-2012 at 05:35

Quote: Originally posted by Lambda-Eyde  
Jewelers and cash-for-gold stores are often equipped with some kind of X-ray thingies that can identify the composition of jewelry. I have no idea if it's XRD, XRC or whatever it's called - I'm a wee bit tired and I haven't taken any spectroscopy classes yet. :P

Most of these won't have software for REs loaded on their XRFs, though: jewellers aren't chemists and will usually only have routines for 'gold', 'silver', 'precious metals' etc.

A professional RE determination by XRF will set you back quite a few bob, I would imagine...

There's some second hand Niton XRFs on offer on eBay: starts at USD 15,000 (a real steal! ;) ) Hurry as stocks won't last...

There are no 'quick'n easy' tests for REs. Solubility of certain double salts like potassium RE sulphates or magnesium RE nitrates, together with the colour of the RE cation in solution can give clues. Some trifluorides are soluble and some are not. There's more. By elimination you can more or less tell which is which...

[Edited on 16-7-2012 by blogfast25]

Go To Top