Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Liquidating Lab Equipment & Some Chemicals for Move!
melvinthedestroyer
Harmless

Mood: 293.15K, 101.325kPa

[*] posted on 17-7-2012 at 12:46
Liquidating Lab Equipment & Some Chemicals for Move!

Hello Sciencemadness!

I am moving in a few weeks, and I now own a Honda Accord sedan. As a result, the vast majority of my things must be sold, including the laboratory equipment I have.

My equipment was purchased primarily for my capstone engineering project involving algae biofuel. However, the project didn't quite go as planned, and I ended up using only a small portion of the equipment I purchased. That means most of my stuff is unused! I also inherited a good deal of equipment from some fellow hobby chemist, all of which has been gently used.

I've been thinking about posting these items on eBay, but the amount of work involved in making an ad for each of the dozens of items I have is daunting. And I suppose there is no need to mention the ridiculous amount of fees imposed by eBay and PayPal.

I noticed several other posts about equipment and chemical liquidation, and after checking the SM guidelines I figured that this forum might be the perfect place to find interested buyers.

Here are some of the items I have:

- Mastercool Vacuum Pump (Boils water at room temperature!)
- Complete Distillation kit (1000ml, 500ml, RBF, west condenser, stands, etc)
- VWR Advanced Hot plate / Stirrer (7" X 7")
-Keck clamps, chemicals, fume hood equipment, funnels, addition funnels, stoppers...

And LOTS more. If I find that there are interested parties on this forum, I will post a more detailed list with pictures.

I am new to selling things online and I am not sure how I can incorporate accountability. I am relatively new to this site and I assume that few people are going to trust some random guy on this forum with their money. If you can come up with some way to make me accountable, I am all ears!

Thanks!
polymerizer87
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-7-2012 at 12:51

i'd give you 50 for the vacuum pump
DoctorOfPhilosophy
Hazard to Others

Mood: enthralled

[*] posted on 17-7-2012 at 13:51

I'll give you 51 for the vacuum pump :P

Just kidding, but I am interested....

polymerizer87
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-7-2012 at 15:20

Quote: Originally posted by DoctorOfPhilosophy  
I'll give you 51 for the vacuum pump :P

Just kidding, but I am interested....

I see how it is...take the pump i have my eyes set on a welch
melvinthedestroyer
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-7-2012 at 19:32

Haha I didn't know vacuum pumps were so scarce around here. It's nothing special... I think I paid $140 for it? It's basically brand new. Actually, now that I think about it, I used it only one time; just to test it by boiling ice water! It couldn't boil cold water with ice in it, but it did become a very saturated liquid. Once the ice melted and it warmed up just a bit then it began to boil. It boiled room temperature water fiercely as I recall. I then emptied the pump oil and proceeded to never use the pump again! Quite a shame, actually...

The pump is a Mastercool 3 CFM 1/4 HP Single stage rotary vane vacuum pump. It runs off 110 V AC, and has (as I recall) 1/4" and 1/2" threaded connections. Theoretical maximum vacuum is 75 microns Hg.

Included as a bonus will be half a bottle of pump oil (should fill the pump one more time), as well as a hose barb connector that fits 3/8" ID tubing. Also included will be 10' of high strength braided vinyl tubing with a 3/8" ID which fits my 24/40 take off adapter vacuum barb. In short, this setup is lab ready! Any loose connections can generally be remedied with PTFE thread tape.

I have already received offers for this pump and I guess I will sell it to the highest bidder? I'm really not sure how to do this fairly to be honest...

Does this mean I should post the rest of my items or is everyone just interested in the pump???

[Edited on 18-7-2012 by melvinthedestroyer]
al93535
Harmless

Mood: good

[*] posted on 17-7-2012 at 20:08

What do you want for the hotplate/stirrer?

Paypal would obviously be the best option for you, and everyone else.
melvinthedestroyer
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-7-2012 at 22:23

The hot plate is a VMR Advanced Hot Plate Stirrer. It tops out at 1000W, has a 7" x 7" ceramic plate, and has barely been used (< 20 hours). This is a high quality piece of equipment and I recommend that interested buyers do some research before they spend the money on this; it might be overkill for many hobby chemists!

Unfortunately, a Sodium Hydroxide solution was spilled on it by a clumsy lab assistant and it is covered with unsightly stains. This is very good news for anyone who wants to buy it; I purchased it for $440 brand new less than a year ago, and I think $300 would be a great price for it now. I will consider all serious offers, however. It should go without saying the the stains are purely aesthetic and do not affect the function of the equipment in any way.

It sounds to me like pictures, as well as a complete list of my items, is in order. I will upload some pictures and all of the info within the next few days. I think I'll have to familiarize myself with BB Code...

Thank you all for the interest! I am very happy that there is possibility that I won't have to sell each and every item on feeBay...

[Edited on 18-7-2012 by melvinthedestroyer]
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2012 at 14:21

any 5 liter Round bottom flasks in 24/40? ( and by extension any 5 liter mantles?) I thank you and here every piece you sell will go to someone who will care for it.

[Edited on 18-7-2012 by Funkerman23]
zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 21-7-2012 at 05:12

I would be interested in addition / sep funnels and vac filtering flasks/Buchner funnels
CaptainOfSmug
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-7-2012 at 10:18

what kind of fume hood equipment do you have?
melvinthedestroyer
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-7-2012 at 10:58

Hello everyone. I've been out of town the last couple of days and, unfortunately, have been neglecting my posting duties here. SM has not been forgotten, and I will post the item list with pictures very soon! Hopefully today!

I have just now returned all U2Us. Sorry for the delay.

To quickly answer the questions posted here:

Quote: Originally posted by Funkerman23  
any 5 liter Round bottom flasks in 24/40? ( and by extension any 5 liter mantles?) I thank you and here every piece you sell will go to someone who will care for it.

All of my equipment is 24/40. No 5L RBFs, but I do have some other glassware of similar volume. I do have a 3 neck, 3L RBF if that helps. No mantles, sorry. I do have the hot plate / stirrer still, but that is quite a volume you're dealing with and I don't think that would be of much use to you either. The hot plate can typically heat 3L glassware, any larger and you will have a difficult time reaching high temperatures.

Quote: Originally posted by zenosx  
I would be interested in addition / sep funnels and vac filtering flasks/Buchner funnels

I have PE addition and separatory funnels, as well as a side arm flask and a Buchner funnel. Again, I will post info on these soon.

Quote: Originally posted by CaptainOfSmug  
what kind of fume hood equipment do you have?

I have a 240 CFM 4" inline bilge fan / blower than is rated for continuous duty, as well as an AC / DC power supply unit that can support this fan. Both are high quality. I built a larger (48" X 32" X 18") fume hood with a large opening using these items, and boy did that thing work well! It would suck the smoke away from a lit incense stick 3 feet away from the opening, but wouldn't really affect the temperature of the glassware inside! That thing was awesome, too bad I had to disassemble it... Anyway, because the fan is DC, you can slap a rheostat (aka variable resistor, aka light dimmer) on the circuit and adjust the fan speed at will to whatever you should need.

Expect my post soon! Should I just edit my first post with a proper list, or create a new one?

Go To Top