Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vacuum pump advice
polymerizer87
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-7-2012 at 07:40
Vacuum pump advice

In the process of researching a suitable vacuum pump for various applications (distillations, filtrations etc). My requirements it needs to pull 10 mm Hg (-750 mm Hg) during distillation and be able to handle any residual solvents passing through the motor. I've been looking at corrosion resistant Alcatel pumps on eBay as well as precision scientific. I want to spend (at most) 600.00 USD. Any advice would be appreciated!

[Edited on 18-7-2012 by polymerizer87]
zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 18-7-2012 at 11:47

Look on ebay and craigslist. You can find vacuums that fit that description for well under 600 USD. I actually got mine for free from an old hospital.

Dave Angel
Hazard to Others

Mood: 0 K

[*] posted on 18-7-2012 at 12:23

Not that I've used them in a while but I've got a venturi-type aspirator pump, a semi-chemical resistant diaphragm pump, and an old rotary, the functionality of which I am not even sure of any more.

I can't recall performance specs, but I do remember successfully using my diaphragm pump for nearly all my vacuum distillations, desiccations etc. after I got it, returning to the venturi only for the really corrosive stuff I didn't want to risk on expensive kit.

If you can find a PTFE-type diaphragm to suit your specs then you'll probably be set. Diaphragms are minimal maintenance and easy to run; no running water / jet pump, or solvent / oil mist traps to deal with.

Go To Top