Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: CLO4 vs CLO3
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 20-7-2012 at 10:37
CLO4 vs CLO3

What is the nature by which basic alkali chlorate/reducer admixtures, are more shock sensitive than CLO4? Does the final oxygen occupy a space, and reduce strain?

[Edited on 20-7-2012 by Fennel Ass Ih Tone]
Ral123
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-7-2012 at 20:13

KClO4 with sugar doesn't burn fast at all. With charcoal and sulfur I think it's slower then black powder.
SM2
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-7-2012 at 10:58

Interesting, I would have guessed that the extra AVAILABLE oxygen (unlike limited availability on NO3-), would have increased all aspects of the oxidizer's brasiance.

Still, have no real experience with perchlorate. Chlorate was my thing. I remember the old Bernz-O-Matic oxygen sticks...too young for the weed killer :( Still old enough to remember Benzene being sold in gallon tins just like toluene though. Like to find one of them half full at an old garage sale. mua haha
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 22-7-2012 at 01:44

If you do come across benzene, treat it like the dangerously toxic carcinogen it is!

SM2
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-7-2012 at 17:08

RIGHT, hissingnoise, and all other chemicals are benign/non mutagenic. Why wouldn't you treat specific reagents appropriately and carefully? It would make no sense to not do so. But THANK YOU for the reminder ;-)):P

Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 23-7-2012 at 23:08

It's likely partly a matter of perchlorate allowing the central chlorine to achieve a noble gas electron structure.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
SM2
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-7-2012 at 16:59

thank you Mumbles.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 25-7-2012 at 06:22

Look up the melting temperature of potassium chlorate vs. the perchlorate. Note that most pyrotechnic systems ignite at the melting point of one of their ingredients... Solid-solid reactions are generaly slow goers due to limited contact between grains of the reactants. Get one reactant liquid or gaseous and the other reactants immersed in it, things pick up speed due to increased surface area of reaction.

Note that the disassociation of potassium chlorate actually YIELDS a small ammount of energy, rather than TAKING a substantial bit of energy as the perchlorate does.

Draw conclusions on why the Chlorate mixtures have a reputation for sensitivity...

[Edited on 25-7-2012 by Bert]

[Edited on 25-7-2012 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-7-2012 at 11:27

Having in mind how powerful ethyl perchlorate is, I was wondering if it's possible to vacuum distill HClO4 and mix with fuel to make very strong explosive. According to wikipedia perchloric acid has density near 1.7.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 29-7-2012 at 05:00

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2006/05/30/things_i_won...

The history of accidents and explosions related to people working with high percentage chloric and perchloric acid would stop me from ever trying that. Check the literature.

Pure perchloric acid doesn't need a fuel, it explodes all by itself. There's a good reason that 70% is the highest purity that will be shipped. Industrial fume handling equipment in perchloric acid areas have been known to just blow up from the contamination they build up in use.

Mixing perchloric acid with an organic fuel usually results in a fire or explosion... and organic perchlorates are way up on my list of things to avoid making or handling. The videos of the behavior of ethyl perchlorate should scare the hell out of you and keep you from making more than a few drops even with good safety equipment. It's odd to say this, but you're much safer handling a relatively benign chemical like nitroglycerin.

[Edited on 29-7-2012 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-7-2012 at 06:54

There's good reason why they don't ship ap also :D Who would've guessed that a primary like EtClO4 would be more powerful then the newest ddf, cl-20 and hexanitrocubane.

Go To Top