Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: "Chemical free" wonder cleaner goes on sale...
Fusionfire
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

shocked.gif posted on 23-7-2012 at 01:21
"Chemical free" wonder cleaner goes on sale...

Shows the level of ignorance these days :o

The only chemical free thing is a perfect vacuum, and even that does not exist.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2177432/Wonder-clean...

Quote:

They say Bio-mex is an organic, chemical-free product which can get rid of grease and dirt not only from kitchens and bathrooms, but also be used to keep bicycles and car engines shiny and clean.

Matthew Canwell, buying director at Lakeland, said: ‘Bio-mex is a bit of a wonder product really. Chemical free but powerful, it should have a place in every home.

Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2012 at 01:45

of course people will fall for it. the dancing monkey on tv said to. certainly you don't expect the hardworking sloths of today to make an educated decision by educating themselves do you? effort is far too traumatic for the delicate, programmed intellect.
Diablo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Autodidactic

[*] posted on 23-7-2012 at 02:37

A perfect vacuum would make a great cleaning product though.

weiming1998
National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 23-7-2012 at 03:27

Chemistry definition of organic: A substance containing a carbon-carbon/carbon-hydrogen bond (although the term organic is not very well-defined nowadays)

Marketer's definition of organic: All natural and chemical free.

Being natural would imply being full of chemicals, as perfect (100% empty) vacuums are only theoretical and doesn't exist. There is no difference between a synthetic chemical (there are no totally synthetic chemical anyway, as it has to come from something at the beginning, man can't create things out of thin air) and a natural one if the chemical makeup and structure of the two substances are exactly the same.

Unfortunately, the general population is exposed to the second definition of organic much more than the first. Vitalism (what started the "chemical free" and the "natural is totally different from synthetic" type of thinking) should be now obsolete, as humans can now make what people from the past think as "organic and natural" synthetically, but the type of thinking still continues.

Marketing/media could be partially blamed for this type of thinking (encouraging and hyping up), but they're just fishing for money. Isn't the true cause for this type of thinking a lack of education amongst the public? The fact that people falls for this type of "all natural" nonsense and the existance of false diseases that are just pure media hype like "multiple chemical sensitivity" should tell us a bit about how ignorant of science the public is.

[Edited on 23-7-2012 by weiming1998]
99chemicals
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-7-2012 at 03:46

Wow this is weird.:o Last night I found this bottle of shampoo in my shower.

chemical free.jpg - 30kB

When I found it I was laughing so hard:D.

Thank God this shampoo is completely free of chemicals and cruelty. What a great product....

I will bet that most people will believe that there are no chemicals in it too. Quite sad really.

Here is a good rule for you stupid marketers.

IF YOU CAN TOUCH IT, IT IS A CHEMICAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have mole problems? If so, call Avogadro at 602-1023

My Youtube Channel
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2012 at 04:24

Quote: Originally posted by Diablo  
A perfect vacuum would make a great cleaning product though.

Yes.

It would be the perfect cleaner for politicians and bankers.
Procedure:
Banker or politician in placed into the cleaning chamber and the 'cleaning fluid' is turned on . The squeeky clean dude is then removed after a minimum of five minutes.
(Volunteers needed to clean up the cleaning chamber at this stage)
A joyous cleaning job, let me tell ya.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2012 at 05:04

I thought I would show this to you guys, it's called head-on... a homeopathic "remedy" which is supposed to relieve headaches. It reminds me of a glue stick and you are supposed to rub it on your temples and forehead, I bought it for fun seeing as it was cheap and not surprisingly, it doesn't work. It only makes your head greasy and smell like menthol.

Anyways, when I first got it I read the ingredients and there is something called "bichromate of potassium" which is not something I want on my skin :S it then lists the "homeopathic name" as being kali bichromicum.

When I google this it brings up some images of orange crystals...and on the homeopathy sites it doesnt say exactly WHAT it is, it only gives all these strange ways it can be used.

I took some pictures of the label in case somebody may know if this is actually K2Cr2O7 or some other product. It would be crazy if it was dichromate though!

headon1.JPG - 138kBheadon2.JPG - 135kB
weiming1998
National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 23-7-2012 at 06:04

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
I thought I would show this to you guys, it's called head-on... a homeopathic "remedy" which is supposed to relieve headaches. It reminds me of a glue stick and you are supposed to rub it on your temples and forehead, I bought it for fun seeing as it was cheap and not surprisingly, it doesn't work. It only makes your head greasy and smell like menthol.

Anyways, when I first got it I read the ingredients and there is something called "bichromate of potassium" which is not something I want on my skin :S it then lists the "homeopathic name" as being kali bichromicum.

When I google this it brings up some images of orange crystals...and on the homeopathy sites it doesnt say exactly WHAT it is, it only gives all these strange ways it can be used.

I took some pictures of the label in case somebody may know if this is actually K2Cr2O7 or some other product. It would be crazy if it was dichromate though!

It's a homeopathic product. There is probably zilch K2Cr2O7 in that stick. Homeopathic substances are measured in X and C. The undiluted form of the medicine is the "mother tincture". 1X means that it is diluted 1:10, 2X means 1:100, 3X means 1:1000. Alternatively, 1C means 1:100, 2C 1:10000, etc. Medication past 12C is unlikely to have even one molecule of the active ingredient originally added in (the dilution is so great it passed the Avogadro's number) Check the label of the medication and see if it specified how many C/X.

Edit: I saw the picture of the label. The concentration for K2Cr2O7 is 6X. Say that the mother tincture was 10g of K2Cr2O7 dissolved in water. So 10 divided by 10^6. The product would contain 0.000001g of dichromate, which is 0.001mg, or 1 microgram of dichromate. I might not be exactly accurate on how concentrated the mother tincture is, but around a few micrograms/tens of micrograms is the very upper limit on the amount of dichromate in that stick.

Sublimatus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-7-2012 at 06:13

From the label in the photo:

Code:
Blue Flag / Iris versicolore (Iris Versicolor) root/ racine .. 12X 0.1% Potassium Bichromate (Kali Bichromicum) crude Bichromate de potassium (Kali Bichromicum) brut .............. 6X 0.03% White Bryony / Bryone blanche (Bryonia Alba) root/ racine .... 12X 0.04%

Hah, beat me to it. :)

[Edited on 7/23/2012 by Sublimatus]
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2012 at 08:04

@weiming1998: That makes sense, I had no idea that's how homeopathic products work (well... If they work or not seems debatable) Thanks for making sense of it though!
zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 23-7-2012 at 10:51

I hate how vitamins and natural supplements (I'm looking at a 5-htp bottle right now) say they are drug free.

Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2012 at 11:06

Quote: Originally posted by zoombafu  
I hate how vitamins and natural supplements (I'm looking at a 5-htp bottle right now) say they are drug free.

actually, that proclamation carries weight and is definable. normal vitamin supplements are not classified as drugs because they do not alter normal bodily functions. not sure how to classify 5-htp though. the body metabolizes it to serotonin which is naturally occurring in the body, but it is used as an anti-depressant which would indicate the user's body is not producing or using serotonin properly.
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2012 at 11:12

The substance in the original post could actually be d-Limonene. Since that substance makes up 90-95% of orange oil then I guess it is considered natural and organic by these marketing gurus. Stuff can still strip paint in it's pure form.
Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 23-7-2012 at 13:53

I saw some bleach that was labeled "natural" recently. It had sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate in it.
National Hazard

Mood: HSbF6

[*] posted on 23-7-2012 at 20:26

Whoa wait a minute! The marketing industry has been lying to us???

Repetition = Truth

The definition of any word can be changed to suit them (scare you), especially if they cooperate to inundate you with the new definition enough times from every direction. That has always been exploited, but only recently has it become many orders of magnitude cheaper.

A word to the wise: NEUROFEEDBACK

http://citizenworks.org/corp/dg/s2r1.pdf
http://www.newscientist.com/mobile/article/mg21228354.500-re...
http://www.shadowstats.com/article/no-414-hyperinflation-spe...

"To expose a 15 Trillion dollar ripoff of the American people by the stockholders of the 1000 largest corporations over the last 100 years will be a tall order of business."
Buckminster Fuller

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it."
Albert Einstein
Teen Chemist
Harmless

Mood: Effervescent

[*] posted on 25-7-2012 at 07:35

It just proves that you can make money even off of peoples fear of chemicals. It is incredible how ignorant people can be.
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 27-7-2012 at 08:07

Vegetables containing parathion and DDT are truly "organic". Organic produce.
achem500
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 12:35

The Royal Society of Chemistry has a 1,000,000 pound award to the person who can produce something you can touch that doesn't contain chemicals. :D
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 15:36

Quote: Originally posted by achem500  
The Royal Society of Chemistry has a 1,000,000 pound award to the person who can produce something you can touch that doesn't contain chemicals. :D
High-energy electron beam in open atmosphere. You can touch it, but you may not want to. You know, all that nasty induced plasma and the burns would be bad. They didn't say "safe to touch", and it's even made of matter.
gregxy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-8-2012 at 10:13

The chemicals that nature produces are not always friendly and good for you. Botulism toxin is "natural' and is the deadliest compound out there, LD50 is something like 1ng/kg,
100s of times more toxic than nerve gas.

If you tested all the chemicals in common plants (even the ones that we eat) you would find quite a few toxic compounds.
Diablo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Autodidactic

[*] posted on 9-8-2012 at 10:49

Don't forget mushrooms.

SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 20-8-2012 at 06:54

Why do people call certain elements, chemicals. It seems to retarded to me.

Quote: Originally posted by Fusionfire  
Shows the level of ignorance these days :o

The only chemical free thing is a perfect vacuum, and even that does not exist.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2177432/Wonder-clean...

Quote:

They say Bio-mex is an organic, chemical-free product which can get rid of grease and dirt not only from kitchens and bathrooms, but also be used to keep bicycles and car engines shiny and clean.

Matthew Canwell, buying director at Lakeland, said: ‘Bio-mex is a bit of a wonder product really. Chemical free but powerful, it should have a place in every home.

Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 24-8-2012 at 00:06

Quote: Originally posted by gregxy  
The chemicals that nature produces are not always friendly and good for you. Botulism toxin is "natural' and is the deadliest compound out there, LD50 is something like 1ng/kg,
100s of times more toxic than nerve gas.

If you tested all the chemicals in common plants (even the ones that we eat) you would find quite a few toxic compounds.

True, for example, many vegetables contain NaNO2 which causes carcinogenic nitrosamine formation.

Rest In Pieces!
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2013 at 22:41
- As mandated by law

Well now it can be told , 35 years ago people were a whole lot more stupid.
The prospect of being sued into insolvency for causing harm apparently has
not worked to ensure product safety. The gist of this new legislation is that
any product made must first prove that it does not cause any harm before
it can be marketed. How dumbed down must civilization become before we
will soon be in the middle ages again with all natural products that will not
even display a label.

These talking heads are themselves dangerous chemicals that should be banned
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIDNO4YmTjE

Some phD's discuss material saftey data
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGKX-ZghK9c

The great leap forward - where have I heard that before
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybYGMwXHIFM

Do it for the children
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmaQiKQKQWQ

Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-4-2013 at 02:34

Can somebody 'touch' the empty space between molecules?
Also, I believe (in a marketers opinion) organic could is often defined as produced naturally by lifeforms, which completely discounts things like SiO2 which makes up a reasonable part of our planet.... Facepalm.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top