Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hydrogen Embrittlement
smeesh
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

sad.gif posted on 25-7-2012 at 09:21
Hydrogen Embrittlement

until recently, i had no idea that exposure to hydrogen could damage the structural integrity of steel and some other metals.
i was most displeased with this development, as i plan to store hydrogen in a pressure vessel that is made of relatively low quality steel.

does anyone know anything about hydrogen embrittlement, beyond what is available on the first pages of google? if so, please answer the following questions to the best of your ability...

could i reduce likelihood of structural damage by painting the inside of the container?

would i experience similar challenges with an aluminum container?

thanks guys
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 25-7-2012 at 12:19

Well, technically, isn't H2 a metal? It doesn't seem to react with water at regular ATM at least, so there are no alkali metal properties to it (corrosion). There are way smarter brains in here to possibly lend insight. I just wanted to take a stab.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-7-2012 at 12:41

If you're referring to the placement of Hydrogen in the periodic table, it is often plonked above the alkali metals but does not really conform to their shared chemistry. I do however recall that solid hydrogen has a "metallic state". As for the embrittlement problem, as far as I'm aware its a common problem with steels, but I don't think aluminium is affected. The downside with aluminium is that its tensile strength may not be high enough.
SM2
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-7-2012 at 13:59

IRONic H2 & Fe being some of the two most common elements in known universe (I think). Perhaps since H2 is so small, it can pass into steel and wreak it's insidious havok, much in the same way that some non-polars can be kept in poly-ethylene btls., but after a period of time, they are weakened.

But if the H2 doesn't leak out of the steel, it would still slip into initial layers, and the pressure would force those hydrogen atoms against the steel, affecting it's strength, ultimately.
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 25-7-2012 at 17:50

Quote: Originally posted by Fennel Ass Ih Tone  
Well, technically, isn't H2 a metal?

What are the conditions necessary for an element to be considered a metal?

Quote: Originally posted by Fennel Ass Ih Tone  
It doesn't seem to react with water at regular ATM at least, so there are no alkali metal properties to it (corrosion).

That's like saying that lithium doesn't react with lithium oxide. Hydrogen is not an alkali metal.

Hydrogen is in its own group. It forms hydrides with many metals.
ldanielrosa
Hazard to Others

Mood: transparent

[*] posted on 26-7-2012 at 01:13

Yes, hydrogen embrittlement is is a source of frustration to welders. I remember an anecdote about how one welding crew was given color coded low-hydrogen electrodes, and the color was changed every hour due to the high humidity.

As I recall, as iron cools below 300C or so the crystal structure transitions to one with much lower solvency for hydrogen. However, if you are storing hydrogen under pressure then this may not be of much value to you.

How much hydrogen do you plan to store, for how long, at what pressure?

You should be able to find data on what alloys are used for hydrogen bottles.

"What are the conditions necessary for an element to be considered a metal?"

@vmelkon , it may seem unimaginative and imprecise but all of my instructors that addressed the question said "Metals are shiny and electrically conductive."

Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 26-7-2012 at 03:11

smeesh, you're asking a question many scientists and engineers are working on. :)
Hydrogen is a pain in the ass when it comes to storage. Not only it makes the metals brittle, but it also seeps out of containers, which will be a major problem if the hydrogen economy comes forward too early, because hydrogen destroys the ozone layer.

Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 26-7-2012 at 04:56

Hydrogen "corrosion" is the enemy of gas refineries, I remember a few years back a gigantic fire at an east-end refinery in Montreal not far from me and the cause was traced back to a pipe that carried hydrogen gas and suddenly failed because of corrosion. I remember hearing the loud "broooooom" and going out to see what I could only describe as a mushroom cloud worthy of an end-of-the-world attack. Never seen so many fire trucks converging to a single fire so fast!

Robert

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-7-2012 at 05:14

Quote: Originally posted by smeesh  
i plan to store hydrogen in a pressure vessel that is made of relatively low quality steel.
Oh, don't do that; it's a recipe for disaster.

Tank hydrogen is available from your standard weld gas suppliers, though it's not universally stocked. I believe they use standard steel pressure tanks, though I'd verify that first. I wouldn't be surprised if they have somewhat shorter lifetime storing hydrogen, but in the USA there's a requirement that the tanks be hydrostatically tested every 10 years. Assuming no special tanks (which is as I recall), that would mean that the rate of embrittlement at ordinary temperatures is pretty low.

Hydrogen is a "permanent gas", an old term of art meaning it doesn't liquify under pressure, at least at pressures readily available, and excluding cryogenic temperatures. Practically, permanent gases need a high pressure compressor to store any reasonably large quantity of gas, and those aren't cheap.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-7-2012 at 05:25

Quote: Originally posted by vmelkon  
What are the conditions necessary for an element to be considered a metal?
The condition is delocalization of the electron cloud. There's a transition where the expected value of the distance an electron delocalizes from an atom or molecule becomes infinite; that's the metallic state. This is related to the random walk, which is infinite in three dimensions, but finite in one or two.

The condition isn't just for elements, by the way; it's possible for compounds and mixtures to be metals. One interesting example is so-called "lithium bronze", which is Li dissolved in ammonia. That solution itself becomes metallic, as some of the electrons from the ammonia become delocalized. It's fascinating stuff, as you can vary the temperature and measure the transition to the metallic state.

The "shiny" part of the metallic state is generic to delocalized electrons, as they are motile and react to incoming light, which means they start oscillating and re-emit quickly.

Metallic H2 is still a research subject. See the Wikipedia page.
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-7-2012 at 05:44

if you need hydrogen you should make it as you need it.
take an old fire extinguisher and do wat they do in draino bombs, NaOH and Al. but since a fire extinguisher is pressure resistant it wont explode, but will just collect it and vent if the pressure gets too high. you should keep it in water while it is reacting though, otherwise it might get too hot.

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
SM2
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-7-2012 at 06:07

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  
smeesh, you're asking a question many scientists and engineers are working on. :)
Hydrogen is a pain in the ass when it comes to storage. Not only it makes the metals brittle, but it also seeps out of containers, which will be a major problem if the hydrogen economy comes forward too early, because hydrogen destroys the ozone layer.

If your going to spend that much money on a fuel cell vehicle, I bet it's been engineered with water as it's main fuel precursor, and a hydrogen generator to supply H2 as needed. Batteries would be needed any way, but in this case, one would need extra potential to run the H2 generator, since it's not 100% efficient. Or at least, solar cell subsidy. The H2, gen. uses a sort of Pd GoreTex, and the fuel cells I worked to develop, were composed of carbon-carbon paper matrix, including Pd, and some other things. Acted as direct fuel cell and promoter.

I guess it would be way more efficient to make H2 en mass. So many advantages, economies of scale, no H2 gen break downs....list goes on and on. The latest fuel cell tech blows away anything I was working on, with huge density potential. I mean a few stamp sized fuel cells were enough to produce enough electricity to run a car.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 13-9-2012 at 14:03

Tell us more about your storage vessel (especially its diameter), where this Hydrogen is going to come from, and how high the pressures will be.
Poppy
Hazard to Others

Mood: † chemical zombie

[*] posted on 14-9-2012 at 08:31

Is it a problem of steel only? AFAIK solid metals are composed of crystals and there are gaps between these crystal. With the gas speed of hydrogen gas the H2 molecule may enter one of these gaps, then vibrate and keep digging, enlarging it.
Thus this should pose a problem to every solid metal, not just steel, unless some kind of catalysis acts on the H2 molecule maybe forcing it to gain extradiordnary speeds or dissolving along the path of the Hydrogen.
The catalyst for making ammonia through Haber process is sometimes said to be iron, so iron may get a special effect upon hydrogen.
:S
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 14-9-2012 at 16:06

An observation, per Wiki: "Hydrogen is a concern in metallurgy as it can embrittle many metals,[11] complicating the design of pipelines and storage tanks.[12]" Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen

So my suggestion is not to fight the problem between H2 and metals, but let them join forces! In other words, look at chemical storage routes. Per Wiki ( link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydride ): "Various metal hydrides have been examined for use as a means of hydrogen storage for fuel cell-powered electric cars and other purposed aspects of a hydrogen economy.[5]"

In the case of H2 and Lithium. Reaction:

2 Li + H2 → 2 LiH

Addition of 0.001–0.003% carbon is said to increase the yield (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiH ).

To release the Hydrogen, add water:

LiH + H2O → LiOH + H2

But, if you do not like this path, then please note H2 appears not to form hydrides with the following metals: Mn, Fe, Co, Mo, Tc, Ru, Rh, Ag, W, Re, Os, Ir, Pt, Au, Fr, Ra and Pm. However, this does not ensure that the metals themselves will not be embrittled. And, if Iron is embrittled, would an alloy with some Co (or Mn) behave differently? Also, noting the ability of carbon to influence the reaction between Li and H2 in forming a hydride, would carbon-free steel be less sensitive to embrittlement? To answer this question and many more, I suspect a lot of work would be required.

[Edited on 15-9-2012 by AJKOER]
Poppy
Hazard to Others

Mood: † chemical zombie

[*] posted on 14-9-2012 at 16:56

Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  

LiH + H2O → LiOH + H2

But, if you do not like this path, then please note H2 appears not to form hydrides with the following metals: Mn, Fe, Co, Mo, Tc, Ru, Rh, Ag, W, Re, Os, Ir, Pt, Au, Fr, Ra and Pm. However, this does not ensure that the metals themselves will not be embrittled. And, if Iron is embrittled, would an alloy with some Co (or Mn) behave differently? To answer this question and many more, I suspect a lot of work would be required.

[Edited on 15-9-2012 by AJKOER]

AJKOER could you please verify on the Pt, Ir, Rh, Au, Ra and Tc metals of the list please?
:cool:

------------------------------------------------------
I don't get you guys why not use a rubber or plastic sealed layer inside the pressure vessel? I think if you put enough effort on it you can line one of those at home. If the garage of yours is not decent enough to prepare this then you should not be even dealing with the gas !!

[Edited on 9-15-2012 by Poppy]
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 14-9-2012 at 17:05

Quote: Originally posted by Poppy  
AJKOER could you please verify on the Pt, Ir, Rh, Au, Ra and Tc metals of the list please?

I believe I gave this reference above, but here is the quote:

"Almost all of the elements form binary compounds with hydrogen, the exceptions being the noble gases and Mn, Fe, Co, Mo, Tc, Ru, Rh, Ag, W, Re, Os, Ir, Pt, Au, Fr, Ra, Pm, and some of the actinides.[1][2][3][4]"

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrides
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 15-9-2012 at 12:15

Quote:
could i reduce likelihood of structural damage by painting the inside of the container?

Highly unlikely using common paint. An illustrative experiment to show just how easily hydrogen diffuses through layers of plastic etc is to fill a common balloon with it. In just a few hours enough hydrogen will have diffused away through the membrane to reduce its lift such that it won't float anymore.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 16-9-2012 at 07:27

How about Cr?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium

"Chromium, unlike metals such as iron and nickel, does not suffer from hydrogen embrittlement. However, it does suffer from nitrogen embrittlement, reacting with nitrogen from air and forming brittle nitrides at the high temperatures necessary to work the metal parts.[5]"
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 25-9-2012 at 07:41

Vmelkon:

Chromium apparently readily forms a brittle hydride. Per Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_hydride ), "Electroplating chromium metal from a chromate solution involves the formation of chromium hydride. If the temperature is high enough the chromium hydride rapidly decomposes as it forms, yielding microcrystalline body-centred cubic chromium. Therefore, to ensure that the hydride decomposes sufficiently rapidly and smoothly, chromium must be plated at a suitably high temperature (roughly 60C to 75C, depending on conditions). As the hydride decomposes, the plated surface cracks."

Also: "The hexagonal form spontaneously changes to normal chromium in 40 days, whereas the other form (face-centred cubic) changes to the body-centred cubic form of chromium in 230 days at room temperature. Ollard already noticed that hydrogen is evolved during this transformation, but was not sure that the hydrogen was an essential component of the substance, as electrodeposited chromium usually contained hydrogen. Colin G Fink observed that if the hexagonal form was heated in a flame that the hydrogen would quickly burn off."

So, one may be able to plate CrHx (x = 1, 1.7, 2,...) on at low temperature (to preserve the hydride layer) and perhaps, at least temporarily, create a Hydrogen proof metal (not embrittled) encasement via hydride platting.

Note, as the decomposition reaction is:

CrH2 --> Cr + H2 (g)

one may be able to extend the life of the Chromium hydride plate by placing it in a pressurized container of Hydrogen, as this would move the above reaction to the left.

[Edited on 25-9-2012 by AJKOER]

Go To Top