Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Storing Zinc metal powder - Safety
maxpayne
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-7-2012 at 10:08
Storing Zinc metal powder - Safety

I live in an area between two rivers and there is one big reservoir for the local dam so air is mostly very humid. I have about 1 pound zinc powder 5000 mesh and having a safe storage concerns.

What are my best options to store this zinc powder safely? Is tightly closed plastic bottle enough to protect it from moisture and the reaction with it?
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-7-2012 at 10:55

the reaction with water is undesirable but absolutely harmless. i got my zinc from a paint company (Lippens) and it came in a 500ml can, you just pop off the lid with a screwdriver. its moisture proof, and will resist fire pretty well.
fire would be your biggest risk.
and yes a plastic bottle should be fine, but something with a wide mouth is better as zinc powder doesn't pour very well.
you can get empty paint cans from your local art store, paint supplier,...
ope that helped,
Alex

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 25-7-2012 at 10:56

Store it in a sealed container in a cool and dry well ventilated area away from any sources of ignition as well as any sources of water. I have a small amount (not that mesh size though) and I have it in the bottle it came in, and then I put that bottle in a small Tupperware container.

maxpayne
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-7-2012 at 13:59

I see. I was concerned about multiple openings and moisture soping from air and that I need to add some drying agents in the bottle. I think the bottle cap holds such an agent under the bottom cover.

Thanks for your answers!
maxpayne
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-8-2012 at 01:10

Can anybody tell what was found in this study:

Studies in the spontaneous oxidation of zinc and the nature of “pyrophoric” zinc

I don't have an access to this, and will not beg for free article, but I'm interested in the results and experimentation in this study.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 18-8-2012 at 05:53

If your main concern is purity, store it in a paint can as pyro suggested or wide mouth poly bottle and have it double bagged inside the can. When you need it remove the bags, use what you need and then seal with the air squeezed out of the bags, only open the bags as much as you need. Much better would be to have nitrogen flushing into the bags when you're pulling reagent from the bags but few people on this forum have a dedicated nitrogen cylinder. If you did though plastic bags make it easy to get a few fill/purge cycles.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
maxpayne
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-8-2012 at 06:24

Yes, I do not know if there is a stabilizer added to this dust. This air squeezing technique seems pretty effective and safe, I will use it, rather than can.

I do not know why I'm so scared about this zinc going off, but somehow I would rather climb the long ladder to get sulphuric acid and even do the bungee, than handle the zinc dust. But I simply want to be safe, protect others and myself from danger.

Is there anything more that I need to know when handling this stuff, what spoon can I use; is Inox OK, or should I use plastic? What about this electrostatic charges, and what to do with filtered zinc from water solutions, how to make sure it does not react further when stored?

And one more, is it safer for me to cut this half a kilos to smaller pieces and store it in that way?
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2012 at 09:17

Zinc powder from Merck comes in a metal container sealed from air with a "tape" and inside this there is a plastic bag containing the metal Zn powder...

The disadvantage: after 2-5 years usually a hammer is the best to get the Zn powder out from the plastic bag, because it stucks in it as a rock.

Use some silica next to, fill the container with argon and seal the mouth with some parafilm.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."

Go To Top