Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trickle down synthesis of explosives?
dennisfrancisblewettiii
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 06:19
Trickle down synthesis of explosives?

Hey, there.

I'm reading more about the synthesis of organic explosives and their synthesis. I'm not well experienced, nor have I attempted any synthesis, but I've decided to put up questions when I think about them.

I've been reading about the relative effectiveness factor for explosives in relation to TNT.

One idea I've considered is how possible is it to synthesize a particular target explosive compound with the highest yield while the other compounds that aren't the target compound are still explosive compounds yet remaining above the REF of TNT?

With this kind of synthesis in consideration, the target compound would be made while other varying yields of the other compounds are made, too, during the synthesis of the target compound.

Is this just a wasteful idea to consider? Or it would be a highly efficient way to generate a target explosive compound while generating smaller yields of other useful explosives?
shannon dove
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 06:41

When making nitro glycerine, the goal is to make glycerine tri-nitrate, but sometimes a little or a lot of the di-nitrate forms as well, but this non target material is also a very good performing explosive, though not quite as good as the tri-nitrate.

Go To Top