Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bacteria that make nitro compounds?
dennisfrancisblewettiii
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 06:29
Bacteria that make nitro compounds?

Hey, there.

Reading more about the organic chemistry of explosives. I'm trying to locate information about bacteria that synthesize nitro compounds as part of their biology.

My main interest is in bacteria that could be used to generate a large batch of particular nitro compounds for easier synthesis of explosive compounds beyond a TNT REF of 1.

Are there bacteria that make nitro compounds?

What if I took a heme group, replaced the carboxyl groups, and added NO2 groups? Would that have much energetic capability?

Idea:

Synthesize uroporphyrinogen III, use PPG-oxidase, use ferrochelatase to create strain by adding in Fe group, then use a mechanism to turn the carboxylic acid groups to nitro groups.

[Edited on 2-8-2012 by Genecks]
shannon dove
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 16:54

I had a similar idea years ago. Imagine developing a strain of bacteria that a soldier (special forces) has a small vial of, when he gets in a situation where he needs some high explosives, he just puts a small amount of this bacteria in a container with plant and animal material. It could be insects or worms or leaves and acorns whatever is available. Then a few days later there is this energetic material that can be easily separated from the compost. The separating might be something like adding excess water and this material is not soluble then it floats on top. Science fiction for sure. Might make a good movie plot.

Go To Top