Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Use of n-heptane in column chromatography?
Triazine
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 10:12
Use of n-heptane in column chromatography?

Would anyone suggest using heptane over hexanes in column chromatography? I'd like to get away from using hexanes due to its degenerative effects.

I've used n-Pentane in the past, but it can be a pain due to its low bp (disrupting the packing bed and condensing in H2O). I also use toluene and pet ether in lieu of benzene, but I would consider these solvents only slightly less toxic nor can they fully replace hexanes in an elution.

n-Heptane, while more expensive, seems like a suitable replacement although its high bp might be a pain. I'm curious as to what kind of separation I can expect compared to hexanes.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 11:27

Quote: Originally posted by Triazine  
n-Heptane, while more expensive, seems like a suitable replacement although its high bp might be a pain. I'm curious as to what kind of separation I can expect compared to hexanes.

It will not affect the separations in any significant way, if hexanes are substituted with either n-heptane or petroleum ether. The retention factors remain more or less the same.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 13:06

I was once told (by a professor in a biochemistry department) that the straight-chain alkanes and alcohols with an even-number of carbon atoms are much less harmful than the odd-numbered ones.
Is this incorrect?

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 17:57

Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  
I was once told (by a professor in a biochemistry department) that the straight-chain alkanes and alcohols with an even-number of carbon atoms are much less harmful than the odd-numbered ones.
Is this incorrect?

I am not really sure, but I do not believe this is true. He might simply have made a false assumption because propanol and especially methanol are poisonous, whereas ethanol is much less. Valeric acid (5 carbons) does not seem especially poisonous, and this is essentially what n-hydroxy pentane would be metabolized to in the body, so I do not think the rule holds. Also, different alkanes would probably all be chemically similar towards the human body

[Edited on 12-8-2012 by AndersHoveland]
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 18:17

Reminds me of this thread:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1312

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Triazine
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-8-2012 at 06:41

Thanks Nicodem, hopefully this will help stave off dementia a few decades from now.

Thanks for the link BromicAcid. I've definitely seen other papers pointing to n-hexane's unique toxicity, although I'd be curious about other branched alkanes such as 3-methylhexane, ect. I've also been told that exposure to acetone (or any ketone or aldehyde) concurrent with n-hexane can worsen its effects, since acetone will compete with the 2,5-hexanedione for further oxidation.

Go To Top