Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: urea nitrogen
MasterBlaster93
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 13:16
urea nitrogen

All i can find for fertilizer is Urea Nitrogen. Would this be able to be used as an explosive, or would i have to nitrate it?
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 15:11

See: "Rock Blasting & Explosive Engineering"; Persen or WTC attempt 1993. Approx 46% available nitrogen. Yet even at that a Urea-nitrate must be used and multiple initiation points & an overdrive effect are best for the least bit of efficiency. Prill shape are poorly designed in density level, thus crushing and or re-crystallization & large levels of containment. See patent literature for detail. Generally a failure commercially or ANFO tank trucks would have picked it up due to cost from prill-towers. Any other use aside from cracking wide sections of "shale-type" rock is basically a "no-go".

See ISEE publications re: low cost non-mechanical, high striated rock safety systems.

[Edited on 11-8-2012 by quicksilver]

AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 15:49

Just because a compound contains plenty of nitrogen does not necessarily mean that it is an explosive. Unless it contains something that can be oxidized, and available oxygen (such as found in nitro groups), typically there needs to be several nitrogen-nitrogen bonds in the molecule for it to be explosive.
MasterBlaster93
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-8-2012 at 14:47

I appreciate the contributions, but would it work? if it wouldn't alone could i mix it Aluminum perhaps. Would it work then?

[Edited on 12-8-2012 by MasterBlaster93]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 13-8-2012 at 07:55

Since your knowledge of explosives appears to be zero, I suggest you read up on the subject . . .
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 19-8-2012 at 14:49

Plain urea, by itself, is completely useless. If you try to use it as the fuel in pyrotechnic mixtures, the mixtures have trouble burning, if they burn at all.

Go To Top