Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 249 Lemons!1!!
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 15:41

Quote: Originally posted by Poppy  
Alright seems the adptor is really needed indeed. Sometimes the condenser spills the loaded water like puke, its not anything even close to a constant flow.

As for the process Écuelle à Piquer, what a hell is this? How exactly it works?? Google says it requires a high speed motor and also one must elaborate the proper spikes, I think its promissing if ammounts like those 249 lemons are loaded each time.

Mainlimypocket, as you showed, the yield is quite high really, destillation may work fine.
As for solvent extraction, If suitable alcohol is used, you can soak that for a couple days, filter the zest, recycle the alcohol 5 or 10 more times, then bring the alcohol to oxydise with dichromate, this will make the alcohol evaporate as gaseous aldehyde, while the dichromate wont hurt the lemonene, since its just like a horned aromatic. What about it?

Possibly, but I would just concentrate on extracting the oils as easily as possible (steam distillation, extraction of distillate with water immiscible solvent, separation, distillation etc) rather than muddle around with dichromate alcohol oxidations as well as try to get the target product at the same time.

If you can, there is nothing wrong with tilting the apparatus a bit and adjusting things a bit so the condenser is straight and the flask is at a bit of angle... The condenser is key... keep it vertical!

[Edited on 2-9-2012 by Mailinmypocket]
Poppy
Hazard to Others

Mood: † chemical zombie

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 16:23

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
Quote: Originally posted by Lambda-Eyde  
Also, I would suggest getting one of these U adapters... It would allow you to run your graham condenser vertically. As it is, it won't perform perfectly since the condenser is at an angle. It creates these "traps" of condensate which make it hard to have a good flow of vapor.

Check here for the adapter mentioned!

Reading this reminds me of how pissed off I am at those cocks on eBay selling distillation kits with graham condensers mounted horizontally. Why the hell are they specializing in selling something they don't even know how to use?

[Edited on 2-9-2012 by Lambda-Eyde]

So stupid! They just try to mount something that looks as sciencey as possible. In this configuration a liebig would probably be the way to go.

That aside some conical flasks with colored liquids in. The biggest mishap I found is the absurd price of a f*ckn support and rod around 80 bucks only for the vertical axis and nothing else!!! WTF
Had to build those myself lol
Btw one who mounts the graham in the diagonal must be halfway an idiot!

-------------------------
Pìcture: calcium citrate

Nothing special, thats the average yield from 1L of pure lemon juice, 60g. The lemons provided around 15L of juice.
The density of the citrate in fact is not that low: 1,4g/cm³

cacitrate.JPG - 46kB

[Edited on 9-3-2012 by Poppy]

Possibly, but I would just concentrate on extracting the oils as easily as possible (steam distillation, extraction of distillate with water immiscible solvent, separation, distillation etc) rather than muddle around with dichromate alcohol oxidations as well as try to get the target product at the same time.

Look, acetaldehyde boils at near 20°C, thats ridiculous, if you manage to pour the dichromate inside the alcohol you manage to produce moar of the aldehyde over the other possible product, the carboxilic acid, only then distilling the remaining concentrate. That would save a lot of losses ...

[Edited on 9-3-2012 by Poppy]

Poppy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-9-2012 at 15:43

New lemons have been bushed, only 59 this time.
Pics!
Forgive my lazyness, but thankfully the destillation method for extracting limonene has already been demonstrated, thus a solvent method has been applied this time. The skins were shred with a pair of scissors, and submerged in 1L approx. of 95% grain alcohol. This will be pickled in that jar for a month shaking everyday.
Firmly its seen a 3L yield from only 59 lemons, which gives each lemon an everage 50mL juice :o
You can see this juice is far from clear homemade lemonade composed of hand squeezed fruits, as it was all put in a blender and filtered the thicker chips only.

The last pic is the calcium citrate being washed. In an article entitled Manufacture of Calcium Citrate and Citric Acid from Lime Juice. (F. H. S. Warneford , F. Hardy Ind. Eng. Chem., 1925, 17 (12), pp 1283–1285) its described some compound oxydises during citric acid production and thus the salt must be throughly washed to give clear citrate salt. Actually, many of the coloring agents believely are includes charcoal, sugar and caramel, given the nauseating sweet smell coming from broken cell parts of the lemon fruitbody.

59 lemon skins.JPG - 66kB lemon solvent.JPG - 43kB lemon juice.JPG - 43kB wash calcium citrate.JPG - 39kB

Obtention of citric acid by treatment of calcium citrate with dilute sulfuric acid has been hard a dick infernal pain as I can't determine the reaction worked or not, the articles tell more about extracting techniques but I have limited acess to this document :<

[Edited on 9-5-2012 by Poppy]
platedish29
Hazard to Self

Mood: absorbing CO2

[*] posted on 5-9-2012 at 16:00

Cool.. What kind of lemons are those?
Poppy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-9-2012 at 12:49

Quote: Originally posted by platedish29  
Cool.. What kind of lemons are those?

Not sure really.
EDIT: Citrus limonia Osbeck
-----

For the solvent extraction with ethanol, it failed. Not because ethanol was not apolar enough to do the job, but because at room temperature limonene makes an azeotrope with ethanol that evaporates faster than you can collect. When remais is the water from the skins with no smell at all, although the alcoholic extracted had a smell. I'll keep that, and see if the repels any mosquitos at all
lol

[Edited on 9-15-2012 by Poppy]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top