Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Seeking Acetonitrile & Aniline (oil)
Pathos
Harmless

Mood: Quixotic

[*] posted on 16-8-2012 at 14:38
Seeking Acetonitrile & Aniline (oil)

Wondering if anyone has some extra of one or both of these reagents laying around that they would be willing to part with/sell. They are fairly common (in labs) & often found in one application or another in most ochem facilities.

Would be happy to find any amounts, but ideally 1 or 2 Liters of the Acetonitrile.

Then only need about 50-100mL of the Aniline (oil).

[I specify "oil" because by Far the most common response I've heard from people when inquiring about aniline is: "Blue or Red?"
Neither!!]

[Also not to be confused with "ALANINE"]

Thanks,
Very much appreciate any help!

"Hoc natura est insitum, ut quem timueris, hunc semper oderis"
~
"It is an innate thing for people to always hate what they've learned to fear"
-Roman Proverb-
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 16-8-2012 at 15:07

Prices to be expected from one popular supplier for home chemists:

1-2 liters of acetonitrile: $52/qt

100 mL aniline: $11/4oz
+ HazMat ($27.50) + exemption pack ($17) [UPS]

Good luck finding someone who just wants to donate all this to someone who we don't even yet know! :o

Why don't you just buy it like everyone else?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 16-8-2012 at 15:37

I have also difficulty to find acetonitrile, and would like to have 50ml. I would like to have a donation (short on money at the moment) But I can buy it for a reasonable price. I though It would be a good thread to put it in.

I will use it to make diamonds with Poly(hydridocarbyne) and make a report on SM if It can motivate someone to make an offer.

Thanks!

I never asked for this.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-8-2012 at 16:22

The problem is that it would still cost quite a bit (let alone being completely free :S) seeing as the person sending it would have to provide the bottle as well as packing material, box and shipping for flammables... Unless of course the sender is in a gifting mood!

For the shipping costs and the amount you would get, it would be more worthwhile to just bite the bullet and buy a full bottle from a supplier.

[Edited on 17-8-2012 by Mailinmypocket]
polymerizer87
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-8-2012 at 18:10

I have fisher hplc grade acetonitrile u2u me. We can do pay pal.
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-8-2012 at 19:05

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
Prices to be expected from one popular supplier for home chemists:

1-2 liters of acetonitrile: $52/qt

100 mL aniline: $11/4oz
+ HazMat ($27.50) + exemption pack ($17) [UPS]

Good luck finding someone who just wants to donate all this to someone who we don't even yet know! :o

Why don't you just buy it like everyone else?

where did you find acetonitrile at 52/qt? i could only find half that volume at that price.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 16-8-2012 at 20:56

Quote: Originally posted by Rogeryermaw  

where did you find acetonitrile at 52/qt? i could only find half that volume at that price.

You are correct - that was a transposition error on my part.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 17-8-2012 at 08:00

You can get the waste acetonitrile HPLC mobile phase from any analytical lab and purify it by fractionation to get the azeotrope with water. This can then be partially dried and again fractionated to obtain pure acetonitrile. The mixture is usually buffered with some acid, like the trifluoroacetic or formic acid, or some phosphate buffer, so it would be wise to add some NaHCO3 to prevent the volatile acids to contaminate the distillate. It takes some work, but it is a free source of large amounts of acetonitrile.
Just call the analytical labs in your area. With some luck, you will find some that will be happy to get rid of their waste for free (they usually have to pay for the waste removal). HPLC machines generate huge amounts of this waste and the majority of labs do not recycle this.

See https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=13...

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 17-8-2012 at 08:10

Note that after the "Great Acetonitrile Shortage" reclamation has opened up as an option in many places for the acceptance of 'waste' acetonitrile. I know that most of the stuff at my work is reclaimed now.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 17-8-2012 at 18:00

LOL, I just bought a pound of aniline...

Craigslist... craigslist...

The guy also had 20 lbs of Hg, but I refused... I would have liked a pound of that, but I don't want to fool around with that without a fume hood (I was in his basement... If I could've borrowed the jar, I would have loved it!). He had a one pound ampoule of bromine, 10 gallons of H2SO4, fuming nitric acid, and... dare I say... 5L of perchloric acid.

The guy is on craigslist in Detroit. http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/for/3078690563.html

He is a very nice man and may ship stuff to you. I left with great buys. I also should mention he has a TON of clamps. He may be worth contacting- he did have more aniline!

Edit: Ask for Eric and tell him Dean sent you :D

[Edited on 18-8-2012 by ScienceHideout]

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

Go To Top