Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What are some fundamentals about organogels?
dennisfrancisblewettiii
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-8-2012 at 00:09
What are some fundamentals about organogels?

Hello,

I've recently taken an interest in various substances called organogels. I've not found this term discussed much on this forum, but I know they exist after reading a variety of research papers. I've attempted to understand the various trends amongst organogels and what enables them to uptake various organic solutions, solvents, and substances and embed them into the organogel matrix. However, I haven't come across enough information about trends.

From what I've come to understand, it generally has to do with the polarity of the molecule and the polarity of the matrix. Varying lengths of the organogel substance are also involved. Another big thing to consider is the boiling point of the substance of the matrix being used. However, I'm unsure as to whether or not an organic substance can remain as a solution yet have the organogel solution boiled and then have the organic solution embedded into the organogel.

It seems like much of this research is done in Japan, at least much of what has interested me as of late. However, I can't seem to understand many patterns nor trends: Perhaps this is because organogels are a hot research topic right now and the researchers are still trying to make sense of it all.

Do any of you forum members know much about organogels, their fundamentals, and how to choose a particular organogel for a particular organic molecule type?

[Edited on 17-8-2012 by Genecks]
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-8-2012 at 07:26

Quote: Originally posted by Genecks  
I've not found this term discussed much on this forum, but I know they exist after reading a variety of research papers.

And where are these references?
You open a topic, but you don't give a single reference to start a discussion. It is up to you to do the initial literature work or else this thread will go nowhere.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
dennisfrancisblewettiii
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-8-2012 at 22:20

1)
Organic gelators and hydrogelators
Jean-Pierre Desvergne
Beilstein J. Org. Chem. 2010, 6, 846–847.
doi:10.3762/bjoc.6.99

2)
Organogels Formed in Various Organic Solvents by Different Alkyl
LPhenylalanine Dihydrazide Derivatives
ISSN 00360244, Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 2012, Vol. 86, No. 1, pp. 45–49.

3)
Versatile Supramolecular Gelators That Can Harden Water, Organic
Solvents and Ionic Liquids
Langmuir (2012)

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  

And where are these references?
You open a topic, but you don't give a single reference to start a discussion. It is up to you to do the initial literature work or else this thread will go nowhere.

Those are three articles that interested me and saved to my zotero, but I'm still hoping there may be other users here with previous knowledge of organogels and their workings.

Quote:

Although supramolecular organogel preceded supramolecular hydrogel in their development, it is still hard to establish a rational strategy for designing a supramolecular organo- or hydrogelator.
(3)

[Edited on 18-8-2012 by Genecks]

[Edited on 18-8-2012 by Genecks]
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 14-10-2012 at 16:45

Are these 'organogels' that you are talking about anything like the hydrogels in this paper below?

Attachment: EDTA hydrogel.pdf (170kB)
This file has been downloaded 1125 times

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 14-10-2012 at 16:53

This is a very all encompassing topic, some of the technologies which are proprietary. Not just acrylate polymers which soak up to 200X their mass in water. There are systems which act like blown foam. Some of the fall-backs have the organic solvent dissolving part of the matrix, and forming a slush out of what was a gel.

I can offer some high lights, but am no expert in the technology. Polymer technology goes hand in hand.

Go To Top