Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Selling my glassware, hot plates and PTFE vacuum pump
TheLogos
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-8-2012 at 17:04

$430-KNF 840 ftp ptfe diaphragm vacuum pump, teflon hose connector missing on one side

$20 each-stirring bar retriever

$7 each-discount if bought in a bundle

$15 pyrex long stem funnel

$20 mercury thermometer with ground glass adapter

$20 mercury thermometer without ground glass adapter

$15 Konte drying tube

$6 each kimax beakers

$10 each 24/40 stopper

$10 each glass stirring rod

$10 amber bottle with teflon cap

$112-Corning pc320

$25 chemglass powder funnel 24/40

$40 chemglass dean stark comes with ptfe stopper not shown

$25 buret, comes with ptfe stopcock not shown

DONE DONE DONE

I have some steel ring stand, teflon stirring bar, keck clamp, spatula and pipette bulb if anyone wants them. Maybe I'll throw them in for free if you make a big order.

Keep in mind. This is the worst case scenario price where I have to ship out everything individually.

So if you buy in any amount. I will work with you on the final price.

I live in NC, so if you buy the whole thing and pick up in person. I will discount it SUBSTANTIALLY and name my first child after you :D

*konte cold trap and buret pending sell

[Edited on 1-9-2012 by TheLogos]
Fossil
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2012 at 17:34

Honestly, I do not think this the place to try and sell your used gear for profit as there are others on there with much more competitive prices like edgecase and Dr bob to name a few. They also have the advantage of being well vouched for. Regardless, best of luck to you in selling your lab gear.
TheLogos
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-9-2012 at 18:16

I'm not trying to sell it for a profit at all. The problem is shipping, packing materials and self insurance. I can sell an erlenmeyer for $3 but I'll just end up paying people to take it off my hands. It cost more to ship than the actual cost of
the item.
I even spoke with Dr.Bob in person once and he told me about the whole pain with shipping glassware. The real price is lower but I can't be sure what it is until it has been shipped. I will refund back part of the money if the cost of shipping and packing end up being lower, which is certainly the case if you buy more than one item.

In the case that an item breaks during shipping, I would have no choice but to refund the buyer.

Which means I'll be eating ramen for a week. Insurance is useless unless you let them pack the item. Buyers will also neglect to report damage when first receiving the shipment and insurance will be denied.

If someone were to buy and pick it up in person, I would gladly take half off everything.
I'm just trying to cover my ass because shipping and packing material cost is coming from my student loans and credit card.
Fossil
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2012 at 18:54

I see. You might want to consider listing the prices of the items without the shipping cost included, and calculate shipping once the buyer has decided which items they want to buy. You will certainly get alot more responses this way as the cost seems lower. Some of your prices really are quite ludicrous though, 15$ for a little funnel!? or 10$ per stirring rod! although that might just be the aforementioned shipping coming into play. To pick on the stir rod, 10$ really is quite a sum unless shipping costs 9.50$. Maybe even consider posting 2 prices, one with shipping and one without.
TheLogos
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-9-2012 at 19:24

If people see something of interest. Just shoot me a message and an offer. In general I tack $10-$15 on everything to compensate for shipping. Shipping gets a lot cheaper the more you buy.

It took me a whole day to come up with a price for everything and a lot of it was done with a toss of a coin.

Some of the stuff are in like new condition. Take the buret and 250ml sep funnel for example, when I bought it, it was still in the packaging. I took a lot of pain photographing every chip on every item, but the uploading file size is limited.
Fossil
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2012 at 19:28

And dude, come on, seriously. If you're looking to make a buck (tuition fees maybe) don't say the opposite since it dosen't do too good for your credibility as a seller.

Quote: Originally posted by TheLogos  
I recently acquire a knf un840 vacuum pump off ebay for $200. The unit is missing one hose barb on the side that sucks in air.

$430-KNF 840 ftp ptfe diaphragm vacuum pump, teflon hose connector missing on one side

I'm not trying to sell it for a profit at all.

By the way, don't take this as an attack on you, I just found it curious.

[Edited on 2012-9-2 by Fossil]
Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2012 at 19:37

I can't believe you thought you could get away with selling that pump haha

You posted on this very forum, did you forget or something??

How much else was bought on eBay cheaply and you are now reselling?
TheLogos
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-9-2012 at 19:39

I checked the prices on ebay before coming up with a price for the item. If I got the vacuum pump for $1, it doesnt mean I will resell it for $1.

I dont know how much credibility you need as a seller since we're going through paypal. I'm more worried about myself as a seller, there's really nothing to keep the buyer from saying the item arrived broken and getting money back through paypal.

There's also too many stuff that I had no idea what I originally paid for.

[Edited on 2-9-2012 by TheLogos]
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 11:51

Folks if your not going to buy anything quit harassing him. He did us the favor of posting good photos, up front prices and is even willing to negotiate. Leave him be! As for me as soon as I get my refund I'm eying a few pieces.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 11:57

The things you 'don't know what they are' are cold finger condensers and a gas adapter.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 12:14

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
The things you 'don't know what they are' are cold finger condensers and a gas adapter.

Look more like a pair of bubblers to me...

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
brocklee
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 09:49

Does the hotplate stir corning 320 still work? if so i'm interested
TheLogos
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 17:04

Quote: Originally posted by brocklee  
Does the hotplate stir corning 320 still work? if so i'm interested

Hey, sorry but I just packed it up for someone else. It's going to get shipped out tomorrow.

Edit: I thought about lowering the price a little bit on everything, but after shipping the first order today. I know it's not going to happen.

They wanted $30 just to ship the buret and cold trap, which only cost $50.
It's like a tetris problem. The buret is too long, the cold trap is just wide enough that it won't fit in the tube.

Glass is relatively lightweight and UPS charge mostly by the size of the box.

That's why I kept saying, if you buy a lot, the shipping gets dramatically cheaper. There's almost no point for me to sell just one item, especially when the majority of the people interested in buying are from areas like New York and Texas.

BTW, I feel really bad that you guys think I'm some kind of scammer rip off artist. I know this is the internet and everything, but please just don't be so mean.

I'm almost reconsidering selling this stuff at all. The shipping and paypal fee cost so much that I'm losing money when people buy individual items. I might as well keep the damn thing and save my self the hassle ;(

[Edited on 7-9-2012 by TheLogos]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top