Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Inserting mtDNA in nucleus?
Wolfram
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 14:48
Inserting mtDNA in nucleus?

How about removing mtDNA from mitochodria inserting mitochodial target sequences infront of the genes and insert the gene in nuclear DNA?
The mitochodrial genes in nuclear DNA would not be subjected to nearly as much free radical damage as in the mitochodria.
Gene therapy with mitochodial genes could acctually be an antiaging therapie.

[Edited on 8-6-2004 by Wolfram]
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 9-6-2004 at 20:47

Sounds good at a first glance.
I doubt it would work though, the whole regulation issue would be too difficult to control. Regulation in terms of the amount of protein degradation/production in response to stimuli.
Also, I believe that proteins destined for locations outside the nucleus have nuclear export sequences. So this would come on top of a mitochondrial targeting sequence. How do you know that this wouldnt interfere with its accurate functioning?

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Wolfram
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-6-2004 at 14:00

Man, there are many mitochondrial proteins already in the nuclear DNA, they are exported to the mitochodria without any problems. The mitochodrial DNA is only coding for 13 genes.
I write about this becouse it has reacently been proven that malfunction in mitochodiral DNA polymerase causes a increased rate of aging.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

[*] posted on 10-6-2004 at 15:11

'Man', a bit of friendliness can't hurt.

For one thing, there are 37 genes, of which most are tRNAs for protein synthesis. 13 of those 37 code for proteins, which is probably what you meant.
I realise what your idea was about, and also I'm aware that during evolution many original mitochondria genes were usurped by the nuclear chromosomes (while a mitochondrial targeting system evolved).
I have to wonder though, why nature hasn't chosen to move the remaining genes, and miraculously, the tRNAs for each amino acid are ALL present in the mitochondrial genome.

I won't speculate on why those 37 genes weren't exported to the nucleus, but one could be very certain that they are in the mitochondria for a reason.
If I was to decide who'd get grant money for various projects, this wouldn't be a project I'd fund...as I'd doubt those cells were viable or function nominally.
But then.. who knows? The world of science is full of wonders, and maybe it is possible to somehow get this engineered. I still'd doubt simply removing those genes and adding target sequences would be sufficient.
Btw.. what would you do with such cells? I doubt very much that ethics would allow such radical fiddling... at least in the near future (aside from technological difficulties)

Edit
Have a look at this:
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/C/Cel...
It's interesting what kind of genes these are... ATP synthase, NADH dehydrogenase, cytochrome c oxidase... and you really think you could move those absolutely crucial genes? Again, why weren't they moved already, and why are genes as crucial as these left?

[Edited on 10-6-2004 by chemoleo]

Wolfram
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-6-2004 at 17:25
Please observe dear chemleo...

Please observe dear chemleo that no mitochodrial protein synthesis machinery will be neededd when all mitochondrial proteins are synthesised outside mitochodria. But I can agree with you that one could suspect there is a unknown reason why the last 13 genes have not migrated to the nucleus.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

[*] posted on 11-6-2004 at 18:15
Please observe dear Wolfram

Quote:

Please observe dear chemleo that no mitochodrial protein synthesis machinery will be neededd when all mitochondrial proteins are synthesised outside mitochodria.

Please understand that I don't understand what u are trying to say....forgive me, I am not entirely on the sober side, but... how does mitochondrial protein synth. come into play regarding the debate whether it is possible to move genes from mitochondria to the nuclei?
As I said...there is a reason why those 37 (not 13) genes weren't exported to the nucleus... regardless where they are synthesised or not. I don't think there is much to be disputed, to be honest. It would have happened already, if it was possible to happen!

[Edited on 12-6-2004 by chemoleo]

Wolfram
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-6-2004 at 04:22

"I don't think there is much to be disputed, to be honest. It would have happened already, if it was possible to happen!"

How can you know it could not happen in the future?

Go To Top