Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Glassware in Australia
ZIGZIGLAR
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-2-2014 at 03:21

I've received plenty of things from China that would have required an EUD if purchased from an Australian seller. They just mark it "wine making glassware". I'd probably be careful if importing to QLD, but anywhere else I wouldn't worry.
james2395
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-2-2014 at 22:54

I received my package today, customs even quarantined it and nothing has happened.
ZIGZIGLAR
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-2-2014 at 23:49

Just bare in mind that owning glassware without an EUD that requires an EUD by law in your state could potentially lead to unsavory legal ramifications for you if you're unlucky enough to have a copper snoop around in your lab ... I would most certainly avoid having anything laying around that could lead a suspicious mind to the wrong conclusion (ie that you're breaking the law [ie rectifying spirits etc]).
Mr_Magnesium
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-2-2014 at 01:17

Quote: Originally posted by james2395  
I received my package today, customs even quarantined it and nothing has happened.

Possibility of a call the following week.

You should be fine though :)

I firmly believe they do not bother you at all if you have a tertiary education relating to the sciences and fill out a EUD claiming it is for hobby purposes. However the exception is of course ordering obvious precursors/reagents used in manufacturing or those 50L flasks which do not point to any sort of hobby related activities. Its always the intent, thats what they will mostly pursue you on.

Just steer clear from drugs or large amounts of explosives.
tekkado
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-2-2014 at 01:40

So today I was told pretty much the EUD is just like a license to own the glass. I thought it was alot more hoop jumping then it seemed. So why does everyone go to lengths to avoid them? (I understand some people may be doing 'illegal' things)
ZIGZIGLAR
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-2-2014 at 02:42

In QLD you can't even legally own a lot of stuff, regardless of any EUD. The supplier of the goods must keep the EUD on their records (or give them directly to the police if in QLD) and supply the EUD to the police if requested.

So it's not a big deal to fill out an EUD if everything else in your lab is above board. The issue is you may need licenses for certain things that you're unaware of, or lack the appropriate safety precautions (like the equivalent of a gun being locked in a case) ...
james2395
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-2-2014 at 02:52

Quote: Originally posted by tekkado  
So today I was told pretty much the EUD is just like a license to own the glass. I thought it was alot more hoop jumping then it seemed. So why does everyone go to lengths to avoid them? (I understand some people may be doing 'illegal' things)

Most people on this forum is of the 'drugs are bad' culture, mainly because of pressures from society, law, etc. Drugs aren't necessarily bad and I am not morally against synthesising them, however the law is entirely different matter.
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-2-2014 at 03:30

Quote: Originally posted by james2395  
Most people on this forum is of the 'drugs are bad' culture

Actually, it's only a vocal minority: https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=12...
Floydle
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-5-2015 at 22:13

LabFriend have a great range of glassware available for delivery anywhere in Australia:

:)

http://www.labfriend.com.au/

If you need any help, there is livechat on the website as well.

http://www.labfriend.com.au/lab-consumables-and-laboratory-g...
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top