Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Diamond
jvdv
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-6-2004 at 02:33
Diamond

I'm sawing a diamond with a laser. The surface of the sawplane is black. Graphite? I want the surface to be transparent, so I need to remove the layer of graphite. Polishing brings additional weightloss. Heating the diamond to 700-750°C removes the graphite but also affects the diamond (surface burns and gets "milky";). Boiling the diamond in sulphuric acid helps, but still a black layer remains. Ultrasonic cleaning: no result... Could electrolysis be the key? Can I somehow transform the graphite to CO, CO2...????
Any suggestions more than welcome!
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-6-2004 at 03:32

Rumor has it that a hydrogen plasma (just a low pressure discharge) will etch back graphite preferentially to diamond.

What laser are you using? Being transparent and highly conductive thermally I'm curios as to what works.

Since diamond isnt conductive at ordinary temps I dont see how electrolysis could be made to work.

Is it possible the laser heating has affected the diamond beyond the surface?
Proteios
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-6-2004 at 08:09

just a point of trivia......in one of the labs i worked in they were using a CO2 laser to melt metals at about 1-2000 C.... the laser was in the far IR.... very powerful... and had diamond windows.... because they had excellent transmission... apparentaly to almost all EM radiation.
jvdv
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-6-2004 at 09:28

I'm not a laserguru, but I think it's a YAG, diode pumped system. It works at very low power (less than a regular household iron), but the beam is extremely concentrated, and focus-depth is extremely limited. I suppose it's the heat that burns the diamond. Focusing slightly under the surface at the start can cause the beam to reflect in the diamond and as a result shatter it to pieces (not a pretty sight;-). The diamond under the graphite layer is not affected by the heat of the laser. It remains as hard as before and polishing characteristics remain unchanged.
Diamond and graphite are to my knowledge the only two cristal structures of pure carbon. So I suppose there is no transition zone between the diamond and the graphite layer. But how to divide between the two layers????
Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quantized

[*] posted on 10-6-2004 at 09:47

Besides diamond and graphite another form of carbon exists, which is known as amorphous carbon. This is probably also present in the black layer on the diamond, since it is reported to occur by irradiation of diamonds by atoms - I know lasers do not emit atoms but maybe the high ionizing power emitted by a laser might gimmic the results obtained by irradiation by atoms.

The link below may help you:
http://phycomp.technion.ac.il/~david/thesis/node12.html

[Edited on 10-6-2004 by Esplosivo]

Theory guides, experiment decides.
Proteios
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-6-2004 at 15:38

shattering diamonds by heating is very hard work..... it has the highest thermal conductivity known!
One prospective use for CVD diamond (chemical vapor deposition)... is as a cooling condiut for CPU chips.

Go To Top