Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Detritus posts: A suggestion...
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 15:05
Detritus posts: A suggestion...

Hi folks and wise moderators... ;)

I always have a good chuckle looking at the dweeb/moron/cook posts in the detritus folder... but I was thinking it might be a good idea to strip all post of their links to dubious references, so that posts like the "heroin" posting that have links to other sites cannot be accessed, I mean, if they're in Detritus, there's a reason for it.

Just a thought, but I would feel more comfortable that newbs and misguided youths cannot have access to those hazardous and alarming references.

Robert

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 15:38

Education is the answer, not censorship, IMHO.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 15:55

All of that information is readily available via the Internet anyway if one is so inclined to find it (google search..)...
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 17:01

Well as I sometimes feel that crap should be deleted for good I have to agree with Bot0nist on this..

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 18:02

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  
agreed 100% for the same reasons i was encouraged to share my successes with the synthesis of P4. i worried that A. it is a very dangerous element B. it can be weaponized C. it can be used to manufacture drugs. but if people want to do so badly enough, they don't need my help, they will find other ways and censorship of information is a disgusting practice fit only for the most draconian governments.
triplepoint
Hazard to Others

Mood: in equilibrium

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 18:27

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  

I am sympathetic to your position, bot0nist, but I do not believe it to be fully applicable here. This is not the public square, this is a BBS set up for a specific, limited purpose. This board is moderated with moderators and super moderators whose job it is to enforce these limitations and keep the postings on track. Threads are locked, shut down and moved to detritus on a regular basis for such violations as asking for information on meth precursors. Posts are regularly deleted if they are classified as spam.

In the system you urge, everything goes and we would hope that the good speech would outweigh the bad. But that's not the current system here. In this context, I think that it makes sense to inactivate links for problematic postings that are moved to detritus. True, the information would be available elsewhere. The point of excluding it here is not to silence those who wish to discuss it, but rather that there has been a communal decision not to participate in disseminating it here.

If you think that the current system here should be changed to an unmoderated one, that discussion is fair game. However, I don't think it's wrong to remove objectionable links in the context of the current setup.
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 22:25

As long as the detritus section is not indexed in the search engine.
Question, Do you allow any link posted for the sake of avoiding censorship, or remove links for bad information in an effort to maintain a high standard on the board? I think a line needs to be drawn somewhere.

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 00:30

I see no reason to censor on provided links. The fact that info is moved to detritus already tells enough and it removes all credibility of that info. People can decide for themselves what they do with that "info".

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 12-9-2012 at 09:02

Okay, fair point. But at no time did censorship cross my mind, it was more of a punitive gesture for derelict members whose posts were containing links to troublesome data anyway.

But as mentioned, just an idea that crossed my mind, plain and simple. I stand by your position and understand your perspective.

Robert

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 12-9-2012 at 11:55

I don't think it would accomplish anything, If someone wants to synthesize drugs they can find ample amounts of information online. Removing links form detirius is just censorship. Censorship defeats many purposes of having an open scientific community.

Go To Top